Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer has two choices - nothing to do with choice of clubs.

If Stringer is traded or some how ends up staying at our club then he needs to decide yes or no to being an AFL player.

We understand he has issues on and off the field (whatever they may be, I don't want to speculate) and has been asked several times to pull his head in. If he leaves for another club, he is only taking his issues with him and nothing changes, just a different environment and new team mates. That alone will not change him.

In order to be an AFL player, he has responsibilities to the club, to his team mates and coaches and to us supporters. You cannot be an individual in a team sport, you have to follow the club rules on and off the field.

Therefore, Stringers choices are: does he want to play AFL Football or not, because that is what it boils down to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer has two choices - nothing to do with choice of clubs.

It goes without saying any possible suitor will ask of Jake, all the same professional undertakings we're at odds with him over. And just as certainly he and his manager will give all the right assurances. There's no other way for them to play it.

If he falls short of those assurances, you're right, it's square one, unless the plan is to find a new employer with more relaxed standards.

If he wants a career in the game, he HAS to swear black and blue he'll get back on track. Can/will he though? If the answer's yes, why not with the blokes he won a flag with? Unless the individual and collective baggage of frayed patience and relationships just too much.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

The article from Cooney in the other Stringer thread said he's been told 6 times to improve his professionalism in many areas. And failed to do so obviously 6 times. That explains the frustration in Wallis voice in the radio interview. What point is a 7th sit down to tell him to pull his finger out? It sounds like the coaches and players have been trying everything they can, but nothing has worked. You can't build a premiership dynasty delisting kids giving 100% while 'the package' does what he wants, when he wants just because he wants. Most in the workforce get 3 warnings before being moved on. Jake getting 6 warnings is pretty good going before moving to another employer is raised to be fair to the club. Can Jake undo everything in 2 weeks or so? I don't think so.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

If he falls short of those assurances, you're right, it's square one, unless the plan is to find a new employer with more relaxed standards.

I don't know about Jake but that's my new plan!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes Dry Rot, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't know about Jake but that's my new plan!
    All looks more relaxed until you start at the new place, better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

My feeling on all this is that Bevo trusts people and is loyal until the line is crossed. I think he deals in absolutes and when he makes up his mind it would take a mountain of work to change it.

It's pretty clear he's had a gutful of Jake and I'm sure the club has been papering over cracks for a while.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    My feeling on all this is that Bevo trusts people and is loyal until the line is crossed. I think he deals in absolutes and when he makes up his mind it would take a mountain of work to change it.
    Pretty sure I read that somewhere about his days coaching the amateurs. One of his ex players was interviewed and said a similar thing.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pretty sure I read that somewhere about his days coaching the amateurs. One of his ex players was interviewed and said a similar thing.
    Yeah that's the impression I get Mike
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard Bevo at an event a while back. And he talked about the little things...

Coaches, players, administrators need to be doing the small things to be successful.
    On the other hand, if they as humans make small mistakes to not over blow them. Deal with them, learn from them and don't repeat them.

It was like someone saying life is black and white, but at the same time that life is shades of grey. Like a Buddhist Monk or Jedi Philosopher. But if Jake's not doing small things and continually repeating mistakes he's been told not to repeat, I can see how some are saying the trust has broken down too far. It doesn't seem like it's from a lack of opportunity or chances from Bevo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    All looks more relaxed until you start at the new place, better to stay with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Mmm hmmm. Be careful what you wish for because it might come true.

Post Thanks / Like

“WHAT IT SHOULD BE FOR JAKE IS A MASSIVE WAKE-UP CALL”

David Schwarz says Jake Stringer needs to use the news that he is likely to be traded away from the Western Bulldogs as a “wakeup call” to become better.

The 23-year-old today spoke publically for the first time since coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news, declaring he was "shocked and upset" to be put on the trade table, and never wanted to leave the club.

“What it should be for Jake is a massive wake-up call,” Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“For a club who has invested everything into him, he’s a Premiership player, All-Australian from the year before, who is liked by most of his teammates, if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life. It hurts, it’s painful, but for those who actually take it in the right way, it makes you want to be a better person, something more than what you have been.”

The former Melbourne Best and Fairest expects Stringer’s next club to be able to get the best out of him, based on his current feelings.

“Has he trained as hard as he could? Probably not. Has he played as well as he could? Probably not, but we can never all play well at the same time,” Schwarz added.

“Did he give one hundred percent all the time? No, he wouldn’t have.
    “The next place he goes to will reap the rewards of how he’d be feeling right now.”

Post Thanks / Like

He was very broken today you could hear it in his voice , personally I think he would do anything to be given another chance with us but it sounds like we are either making him wake up and keeping him or we had enough and he is out.
    I am hurt as i know he could be anything and probably will be if he goes somewhere else.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He was very broken today you could hear it in his voice , personally I think he would do anything to be given another chance with us but it sounds like we are either making him wake up and keeping him or we had enough and he is out.
    I am hurt as i know he could be anything and probably will be if he goes somewhere else.
    You've made this comment before, I'm intrigued why do you feel hurt?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

“WHAT IT SHOULD BE FOR JAKE IS A MASSIVE WAKE-UP CALL”

David Schwarz says Jake Stringer needs to use the news that he is likely to be traded away from the Western Bulldogs as a “wakeup call” to become better.

The 23-year-old today spoke publically for the first time since coach Luke Beveridge confirmed the news, declaring he was "shocked and upset" to be put on the trade table, and never wanted to leave the club.

“What it should be for Jake is a massive wake-up call,” Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“For a club who has invested everything into him, he’s a Premiership player, All-Australian from the year before, who is liked by most of his teammates, if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life. It hurts, it’s painful, but for those who actually take it in the right way, it makes you want to be a better person, something more than what you have been.”

The former Melbourne Best and Fairest expects Stringer’s next club to be able to get the best out of him, based on his current feelings.

“Has he trained as hard as he could? Probably not. Has he played as well as he could? Probably not, but we can never all play well at the same time,” Schwarz added.

“Did he give one hundred percent all the time? No, he wouldn’t have.
    “The next place he goes to will reap the rewards of how he’d be feeling right now.”
    Thanks Ox. He's got a marvellous grasp of the bleeding obvious does Theo.

He wouldn't notice if an elephant crawled up his nose. Fair dinkum.

20. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[B] if they can say to him you’re not longer required that has got to be the biggest wake-up call.

“All of us face that time once or twice, or three times, or even a dozen times in their working life.
    Really? A dozen times??? All of us get sacked a dozen times in our working life? I've been a teacher nearly 20 years, and have been told my contract wasn't being renewed once. I stayed at the school.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

22. Likes Topdog liked this post