Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie pair renewed

Link

The Western Bulldogs have announced that Brad Lynch and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh will be retained as rookies for the 2018 season.

Lynch and Mullenger-McHugh, both 20, are yet to make their debut for the Bulldogs, but have shown encouraging signs at VFL level.

Mullenger-McHugh was taken with the Bulldogs' first selection (pick 18) in the 2017 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, after impressing in the TAC Cup with Eastern Ranges.

He played 19 games this season with Footscray in the VFL, improving as a versatile key position player who spent time as a defender, forward and ruckman.

Lynch has earned a third year as a Bulldogs rookie, after hamstring injuries limited him to 11 VFL games in 2017.

The West Australian defender was a member of Footscray’s 2016 premiership team in his first season at the Club, after being selected with pick 11 in the 2016 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Meanwhile, fellow rookie Tristan Tweedie has not been offered an extension to his rookie contract for the 2018 season.

Tweedie was recruited to the Bulldogs as a Category B Rookie in the 2017 Rookie Draft, and kicked three goals in 11 VFL appearances in 2017.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie pair renewed

Roarke to be elevated? He's not being cut.

I thought we were playing the long game with Tweedie. Disappointing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I thought we were playing the long game with Tweedie. Disappointing.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite of what I thought was happening with Tweedie. He will make a bomb playing a level down or suck it up, read Keithy's article and then try again. Geez I'd like to be 20 with the world in front of me. That was fun, I couldabeen anything I wanted.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Good news for 2 of the boys and really bad luck for Tweedie.
    Lynch needs to get it going next year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying he will be elevated? I thought they still need to make a call on him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you saying he will be elevated? I thought they still need to make a call on him.
    I'm assuming. He needs to be cut or elevated. They dealt with the renewing and cutting today. I assume if we were going to cut him we'd add him to today's announcement. We've made it clear through media reporting we are not offering Honey a contract yet. I'd assume we could say the same thing, but we haven't. Roarke told Bevo earlier this year he wants to continue at the top level. Bevo told him he wanted the same. So it's all assumption on my part, but my best guess is Roarke might be getting a promotion.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I like Roarke I see him as a run off half back and a good mark , he can play no doubt , two knees is just bad luck if he can come good we have got a gem.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming. He needs to be cut or elevated. They dealt with the renewing and cutting today. I assume if we were going to cut him we'd add him to today's announcement. We've made it clear through media reporting we are not offering Honey a contract yet. I'd assume we could say the same thing, but we haven't. Roarke told Bevo earlier this year he wants to continue at the top level. Bevo told him he wanted the same. So it's all assumption on my part, but my best guess is Roarke might be getting a promotion.
    Is the Rookie List still going to be rolled into the main list for one big list and no rookies or was that cut out in the last EBA the players got a few months ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is the Rookie List still going to be rolled into the main list for one big list and no rookies or was that cut out in the last EBA the players got a few months ago?
    I thought that was part of the new EBA, couldn't see that being scrapped, as a union that would be one of your major claims, all players equal etc.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    New Rules

Changes to the rookie list

Some significant changes have also been made to how the rookie list will function, and the wages that rookie-listed players will receive.

The rookie list minimum wage will now increase to $71,500 per year, and Category-A listed rookie players (those taken in the rookie draft) will be eligible to play senior football in 2018 without needing to wait for an elevation to the senior list.

Clubs will still be required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players.

They will also be allowed to list as many as three Category B rookies (rookies signed internationally, from another sport, or through other unique circumstances), but are not required to have any if they do not wish to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks Twodogs, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome minimum wage I must say, might as well be list players as normal I don't see the difference. ( except pay )
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Awesome minimum wage I must say, might as well be list players as normal I don't see the difference. ( except pay )
    Fewer contact hours than senior listed players I think in that pay deal
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Fewer contact hours than senior listed players I think in that pay deal

I'd want more contact hours if anything if I was a rookie. More to learn and improve and all that.

Post Thanks / Like

How many draft picks must clubs use this year?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    How many draft picks must clubs use this year?
    I'm not sure you have to use any, just change 4 players on the list. Could be trades
    Bring back the biff