Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The unintended consequences of Stringer going...

Dalrymple confirmed a few months back we still have the room in our cap that we wanted to use on Hurley. Circa $800,000.

Stringer is on circa $500,000 next year and I guess we would've budgeted $800,000+ to retain him in the next contract.

That's circa $1,300,000 freed up in our cap with Stringer being off loaded for new players to come in for next season. As well as not extending Crameri on $450,000 a year, so $1,750,000. Plus a whoke bunch of picks and players to go to, to facilitate trades. So who should we go shopping for? A couple of OK players, or go Tom Boyd style and make a huge offer to get a genuine gun?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The unintended consequences of Stringer going...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dalrymple confirmed a few months back we still have the room in our cap that we wanted to use on Hurley. Circa $800,000.

Stringer is on circa $500,000 next year and I guess we would've budgeted $800,000+ to retain him in the next contract.

That's circa $1,300,000 freed up in our cap with Stringer being off loaded for new players to come in for next season. As well as not extending Crameri on $450,000 a year, so $1,750,000. Plus a whoke bunch of picks and players to go to, to facilitate trades. So who should we go shopping for? A couple of OK players, or go Tom Boyd style and make a huge offer to get a genuine gun?
    We have Trengove so he is costing approx $500,000 to $600,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    We have Trengove so he is costing approx $500,000 to $600,000.
    We have Boyd & Bob retiring for $500,000 to $600,000 or more.

So we are back to the original figure.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll need some of that war chest to (rightly) reward Bont and others in their next contracts.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We'll need some of that war chest to (rightly) reward Bont and others in their next contracts.
    Perhaps, but I'd suggest when JMac was doing his forecasts going ahead at the begining of the year to reward others, he had Crameri in the mix on close to his last contract and Stringer on at least $800,000 from 2019 onwards. So even we if leave 50% of the cap space out of the mix, and not factor in any CBA rises whatsoever, that leaves us with $1,300,000 to get replacement talent (I'm not paying Bont $2,500,000 a year). Stringer & Crameri leaving opens a world of opportunities to invest a lot of money in replacement talent. Who to replace them with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We have an extra $2 million in cap from next year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have an extra $2 million in cap from next year.
    We need to keep signing up the kids...

We've had two bigger salaries go, plus our existing spare cap and CBA rises. The situation of Jake leaving is shithouse. But if you stand back and look at the flip side of these players and wages going, we are in position to aggressively pursue players now. And we will have picks or players to do it. This is a big opportunity.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not do what GWS do? Go after other club (contracted) captains, like GCS captain Tom Lynch, 7 years at $1,300,000. Maybe add in Saad too, $550,000 a year. Leave the balance for re-signing kids.

Post Thanks / Like

We've had two bigger salaries go, plus our existing spare cap and CBA rises. The situation of Jake leaving is shithouse. But if you stand back and look at the flip side of these players and wages going, we are in position to aggressively pursue players now. And we will have picks or players to do it. This is a big opportunity.
    Are we any different to most other teams in the AFL?

Norf threw massive contracts at the likes of Kelly & Martin and couldn't pry them away.. I can only assume we put down a big offer in front of Lever, but from reports aren't a preferred destination for him.

It's not all that easy to drag gun players away, unless the stars align.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Are we any different to most other teams in the AFL?

Norf threw massive contracts at the likes of Kelly & Martin and couldn't pry them away.. I can only assume we put down a big offer in front of Lever, but from reports aren't a preferred destination for him.

It's not all that easy to drag gun players away, unless the stars align.
    I'd hope that JMac has been onto managers since it was clear Stringer & Crameri were out. Or is at least now with some ambition. I guess the main thing is, a Stringer leaving is both bad and good. Moreso good if we find a top class player to replace the talent/potential we are losing with the cash and trade currency we will have.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hope that JMac has been onto managers since it was clear Stringer & Crameri were out. Or is at least now with some ambition. I guess the main thing is, a Stringer leaving is both bad and good. Moreso good if we find a top class player to replace the talent/potential we are losing with the cash and trade currency we will have.
    Devon Smith out of contract and not picked to play this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Devon Smith out of contract and not picked to play this week.
    I'd be happy with Devon. A quality small forward would be ideal. Wouldn't cost us too much you'd think. With Stevie retiring they should be selling him that he's fine for next year onwards.

And we need forwards with Stringer, Crameri, Hamilton, Honey & Tweedie being taken out of our list of forwards. Richmond think Schache is still gettable, we could out bid them if we had interest in him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy with Devon. A quality small forward would be ideal. Wouldn't cost us too much you'd think. With Stevie retiring they should be selling him that he's fine for next year onwards.

And we need forwards with Stringer, Crameri, Hamilton, Honey & Tweedie being taken out of our list of forwards. Richmond think Schache is still gettable, we could out bid them if we had interest in him.
    What have you seen in Schache that makes you think he is worth getting?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    What have you seen in Schache that makes you think he is worth getting?
    His junior record more than anything, he went at pick 2 for a reason. He's clearly not developed at Brisbane and seems horribly homesick. At the right price, I'm interested if he's gettable.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono Rourke went pick 2 as well. The best thing about the Stringer shit storm was it all happened early. It gives us an opportunity to take a breath and reload for either needs or whoever is blue chip and we think gettable.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.