Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roarke Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roarke Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As it stands this year, if we let him go we'd be replacing him with the >90th best junior prospect in the country. Roarke offers us more than that for next season, and we may need to find free list spots next year given we'll have 4 x highly rated kids as FS/NGA prospects.

I'd keep him for another 12 months.
    Or a mature player that gives us depth in another area. Or a small forward as good ones come from the rookie draft. Why do we need to free up rookie list spots with our NGAs getting main listed (or Cat B) next year?

Keeping Roarke on the rookie list with Young, Khamis & Sweet means potentially no rookie draft picks. Then Gardner goes, or if La Young gets upgraded, then Gardner stays or we cut him no get one pick. I think there's an argument to keep him, I think there's a good argument to cut him too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As it stands this year, if we let him go we'd be replacing him with the >90th best junior prospect in the country. Roarke offers us more than that for next season, and we may need to find free list spots next year given we'll have 4 x highly rated kids as FS/NGA prospects.

I'd keep him for another 12 months.
    I get the reasoning but like last year you don't have to draft the 90th best junior and could focus on the top 10 state league players

The question to me is if he is likely to improve and that is what I struggle with. He's had a number of years at the club will another be the one that he shows us what he is capable of?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get the reasoning but like last year you don't have to draft the 90th best junior and could focus on the top 10 state league players

The question to me is if he is likely to improve and that is what I struggle with. He's had a number of years at the club will another be the one that he shows us what he is capable of?
    True. We could quite easily have Sydney Stack or Marlion Pickett instead and we'd be quite happy with ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    True. We could quite easily have Sydney Stack or Marlion Pickett instead and we'd be quite happy with ourselves.
    And Cavarra and Hayes were worth the decision to draft

I guess to me is if you had to make a decision between Hayes and Roarke Smith would we still prefer Smith?
    If so then lets give him another 12 months

There is a forward in WA who might be able to come in and make an impact and I think most years you can find productive state league players

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd rather keep him on for next year. If he comes good (and I do rate him) then that's good, if he doesn't then it's an open spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

The 10th best state league player may well be the 90th best prospect. Most are pretty young anyway - 'mature agers' are often ~21 or 22 years old (e.g. Moz, Gardner were both 22 when rookied).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke's 23 possies against Power in Adelaide shows he has it in him. Consistency is his main problem.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 10th best state league player may well be the 90th best prospect. Most are pretty young anyway - 'mature agers' are often ~21 or 22 years old (e.g. Moz, Gardner were both 22 when rookied).
    I guess is that they aren't quite as risky as the 90th best junior and in most instances have competed against men
    The problem for Smith is his best position just happens to be the one we probably bat the deepest in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Roarke's 23 possies against Power in Adelaide shows he has it in him. Consistency is his main problem.
    Belting down rain, horrible conditions isn't something we experience much
    I'd rather his best game was in better conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Roarke, but he has had enough chances.

If we keep him at Footscray, I would say ok, but really he should be looking to move on with his life.

At best he is depth and that is picked up anywhere. He is not and will not be a game changer.

Opening a spot and you could pick up the next Johannisen or Dale Morris.

Keeping Roarke only gives you Roarke.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

12. Likes Happy Days, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I really like Roarke, but he has had enough chances.

If we keep him at Footscray, I would say ok, but really he should be looking to move on with his life.

At best he is depth and that is picked up anywhere. He is not and will not be a game changer.

Opening a spot and you could pick up the next Johannisen or Dale Morris.

Keeping Roarke only gives you Roarke.
    Yeah this is really a better-the-devil-you-don't scenario. Roarke has had five seasons (four full ones) to show his wares and it's pretty obvious he isn't at the level.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yeah he was very good in that game. Kicked a great goal.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has had his time I really want a speedy tackling forward Picken still needs to be replaced and I think the rookie draft is where we can find him. Opens up a second spot so we get 2 cracks at it or a small and another back up ruckman but I think that is Trengove's job now we have Keith .
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

AFEL.com.au saying that Roarke Smith (& Roberts & Webb) haven't been offered contracts. (Dicko in a wait and see at the minute)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Thanks Insufficient Intent thanked for this post
    Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    AFEL.com.au saying that Roarke Smith (& Roberts & Webb) haven't been offered contracts. (Dicko in a wait and see at the minute)
    So taking three list spots into the draft and one open rookie spot; if we end up upgrading a rookie (Young probably) then that's two new players from the draft and two new rookies.