Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roarke Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke Smith

Luckless rookie, wanted a separate thread to ask questions about him.

I liked what I saw of him and we have backed him in after two knee recos, what is the likelihood of him getting elevated to a main list spot? Personally I think he has more upside than any speculative late draft pick and showing some loyalty to the kid could well be rewarded so I'd like to see him upgraded this year (we don't have the option to re-rookie him again).

Query I guess is whether the recos will have longer term implications on his agility / pace. Redpath has the turning circle of a roadtrain after his knee ops but I'm not sure how much of that is due to his knee issues and how much it was just not an asset before he was injured.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rourke Smith

When Roarke did his knee this year, he said to Bevo he wants to continue on at the top level. Bevo told him he wanted that too. So if Bevo has a say, I'm betting he stays on. We need to elevate him or cut him, and we haven't cut him yet. Like you, if we need to use pick 80 then I have no issues using it on him if the medicos pass him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Think it is Roarke Moffra. Good thread though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    When Roarke did his knee this year, he said to Bevo he wants to continue on at the top level. Bevo told him he wanted that too. So if Bevo has a say, I'm betting he stays on. We need to elevate him or cut him, and we haven't cut him yet. Like you, if we need to use pick 80 then I have no issues using it on him if the medicos pass him.
    I agree, pick 80 wouldn't be a big risk, and he seems like he is passionate about playing AFL. So yes, let's upgrade him as he is a known quantity.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckless Bulldog rookie set for a lifeline

LUCKLESS Western Bulldog Roarke Smith appears set for a welcome change of fortune, with the out-of-contract rookie to play on at the Whitten Oval next season.

Smith has been sidelined since March after undergoing his second knee reconstruction in 18 months, but AFL.com.au understands the athletic defender will be offered a new deal for 2018 before the Bulldogs finalise their list.

Smith has been restricted to just two senior games in his three seasons on the rookie list, but the Dogs are optimistic he can overcome his horrible run of luck.

The defender's troubles began a week after he made his AFL debut against West Coast in round 21, 2015, when he ruptured his left anterior cruciate ligament in the VFL.

Smith made a promising return in the second half of 2016, earning a senior game in round 22 against Essendon, before rupturing his right ACL in March during a JLT Community Series loss to the Brisbane Lions.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said after that game the club was committed to helping Smith return to the field.

"We will support him and get him going again. It's a bitter pill to swallow tonight," Beveridge said.
    "We think Roarke has a really bright future. It's just a shame he has had so much bad luck so early in his career."

Smith was recruited by the Bulldogs from the Calder Cannons with pick No.5 in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.
    In addition to his two senior games, he has played 25 VFL games for Footscray, 15 in 2015 and 10 in 2016.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's between Honey & Smith. I'm happy it's Smith, there's a lot more upside if he can take a trick with injuries.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite see the upside with him. He's OK but I haven't seen enough positives with him to suggest he could be a 100 game player. I'd delist and re-rookie if no other club selected him if that is allowed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't quite see the upside with him. He's OK but I haven't seen enough positives with him to suggest he could be a 100 game player. I'd delist and re-rookie if no other club selected him if that is allowed.
    I actually do see the upside. However, I agree with you that he should be rookie listed.

FWIW his upside is that he has a good sized frame, has footy smarts and is versatile. Without the knees, I'd back him in every time. However, with them, it has to be a hedge via the rookie list.

Post Thanks / Like

The question I guess is - is he better than a speculative pick at 80 plus?

Post Thanks / Like

Id give him a one year offer. But bigger than that, Bevo/leadership group/club is not just being tough on a bloke refusing to train and do their rehab properly, he's rewarding a young guy with some talent whose training 100%, doing rehab 100%, conducting himself professionally and doing everything right. This is also a good message of positive reinforcement to everyone. And he might just be a handy player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I actually do see the upside. However, I agree with you that he should be rookie listed.

FWIW his upside is that he has a good sized frame, has footy smarts and is versatile. Without the knees, I'd back him in every time. However, with them, it has to be a hedge via the rookie list.
    I don't see the footy smarts with him. He can shut down a player, has good endurance and is reasonably athletic given his knee injuries but to me he can play just one or two positions and we already have some depth in those positions.
    Having said that if he is offered a one year deal he can step up and prove me wrong which I won't be upset about in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The question I guess is - is he better than a speculative pick at 80 plus?
    If I compare if him our Fergus Greene selection from last year I think there is a difference between the two, Greene has footy smarts and a far greater skill level and probably more than matches Smith for endurance.

Good luck to Roarke Smith no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like

Id give him a one year offer. But bigger than that, Bevo/leadership group/club is not just being tough on a bloke refusing to train and do their rehab properly, he's rewarding a young guy with some talent whose training 100%, doing rehab 100%, conducting himself professionally and doing everything right. This is also a good message of positive reinforcement to everyone. And he might just be a handy player.
    I'm not sure that the decision to keep him or not should be blurred by other activities around the club. He's had wretched luck but we've had 3 seasons to assess him and we should know if he has the ability to be a 50 game plus player. Prudden had 5 years at the club and we eventually had to make the hard call. It should be clear to the club now if they really want him and while I know they are waiting on some clarity with some other players I think we should delist him and if he is the best player still available with our last pick at the National Draft then we should select him then. He can still keep training with the club.

Why lock him in now when there might be a Lewis Young and Fergus Greene type player still available when we have our last selection?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure that the decision to keep him or not should be blurred by other activities around the club. He's had wretched luck but we've had 3 seasons to assess him and we should know if he has the ability to be a 50 game plus player. Prudden had 5 years at the club and we eventually had to make the hard call. It should be clear to the club now if they really want him and while I know they are waiting on some clarity with some other players I think we should delist him and if he is the best player still available with our last pick at the National Draft then we should select him then. He can still keep training with the club.

Why lock him in now when there might be a Lewis Young and Fergus Greene type player still available when we have our last selection?
    There might be a Matt Fuller too, maybe even a Shane Thorne. I like him, club obviously likes him and I think Bevo likes to look after those who do everything asked within reason. That just happens to be a good message for the group as the circumstances are. Not a reason to keep him, just a nice byproduct.

Post Thanks / Like

There might be a Matt Fuller too, maybe even a Shane Thorne. I like him, club obviously likes him and I think Bevo likes to look after those who do everything asked within reason. That just happens to be a good message for the group as the circumstances are. Not a reason to keep him, just a nice byproduct.
    I don't think we have the room for too much sentiment because if there is a Fuller or Thorne available you go with Smith.
    Do you think someone is going to pinch him from us and it will bite us in the arse?

Post Thanks / Like

Technically we have had him one season , he has been out two years with the knees , what I have seen I highly rate him he reads the play well runs off well and he takes a good leaping mark , the question is can he still do that after two knees ?
    One way to find out is give him another year .
    Bring back the biff