Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roarke Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roarke Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So do you back him for a year or two?
    One year at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One year at this stage.
    This is the bit I don't get with your logic. If he was as good as you say he is why not lock him away for a couple of years after all any player we would have got late in the draft would have received a 2 year deal? Why not apply it to Smith?

Why shouldn't we wait until the draft and if we are selecting in the 70's or 80's why commit to him now and not then if really we only want to offer a one year deal?

Also using your logic of him most likely being better than any player late in the draft why wouldn't we do the same for Honeychurch?

A one year deal smacks of us wanting to be seen to be doing the right thing but we aren't really sure we are doing the right thing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

2 knee recos, you can't give a 2 year deal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    2 knee recos, you can't give a 2 year deal
    So that's why you have him train at the club and make the call at the National Draft.
    On one hand we are saying he's better than anyone we will get with a late pick but on the other we are really not that confident with his injuries and as a result we are only half in with a one year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen enough of Smith (has anyone, really?) and agree the pending decision to add him to the senior list is a strange one, particularly at this stage. We've demonstrated the ability to pick up prospects with upside late in the ND over recent years and like GVG said, is Smith ahead or have more upside than some others who may not be offered another contract? I suppose in the eyes of the club he must, but with his injury history there's got to be concerns he may not be the same player with the leap and speed that made him an attractive proposition to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Also using your logic of him most likely being better than any player late in the draft why wouldn't we do the same for Honeychurch?
    Different logic.

We have made a decision to not offer Honeychurch, or delist others because we need new players on the list. Having made that decision, we then have to ask who gets the spot, Smith or an unknown quantity? One year, two year is a different debate and I am saying one year due to his knee reco.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Different logic.

We have made a decision to not offer Honeychurch, or delist others because we need new players on the list. Having made that decision, we then have to ask who gets the spot, Smith or an unknown quantity? One year, two year is a different debate and I am saying one year due to his knee reco.
    A one or two year or option is pertinent when you say you think he is better than others likely to be in the 70's or 80's (although I don't know how you can make that call) but then you step back from actually making a genuine commitment and offer the bare minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

So that's why you have him train at the club and make the call at the National Draft.
    On one hand we are saying he's better than anyone we will get with a late pick but on the other we are really not that confident with his injuries and as a result we are only half in with a one year deal.
    Can't see why you are so hellbent on a 2 year deal.

If he was a draftee he would get a 2 year deal, but he isn't a draftee. He's a 3 year rookie with multiple knee recos. Even if we do believe in him more than a draftee it doesn't mean we have to give him the terms that draftee would have gotten.

There is nothing to be gained at all from our pov in giving him a 2 year deal. No matter how much you have faith in his ability, offering an extra year to a fringe mid sized defender with injury issues can only end up not in your favour. Also from his pov, the contract is likely to be close to minimum wage (AFL minimum, not real world minimum). If he plays games next year which is obviously the plan it means he can negotiate a better deal for himself as well.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Can't see why you are so hellbent on a 2 year deal.

If he was a draftee he would get a 2 year deal, but he isn't a draftee. He's a 3 year rookie with multiple knee recos. Even if we do believe in him more than a draftee it doesn't mean we have to give him the terms that draftee would have gotten.

There is nothing to be gained at all from our pov in giving him a 2 year deal. No matter how much you have faith in his ability, offering an extra year to a fringe mid sized defender with injury issues can only end up not in your favour. Also from his pov, the contract is likely to be close to minimum wage (AFL minimum, not real world minimum). If he plays games next year which is obviously the plan it means he can negotiate a better deal for himself as well.
    I would wait until the draft and make the assessment if he was better than what is in front of us. I just think it's smacks of inconsistency for some to say he is better than what we will get late in the draft (I still don't know haw anyone makes that call) but then use the fail safe in that we would only offer a 1 year deal. Either we are sure he is worth a spot or we aren't.
    More than happy if they offer a 1 year deal but lets wait until the draft happens and make the call them

Post Thanks / Like

Either we are sure he is worth a spot or we aren't
    I don't think he is but I thought the same with Prudden. Do we regret keeping Prudden on, or was it the right thing to do?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I don't think he is but I thought the same with Prudden. Do we regret keeping Prudden on, or was it the right thing to do?
    Do you recall the scrutiny some placed on Adcock being a rookie? This was a guy who had played a lot of senior football and was recruited to provided some addition coverage in a few positions. Most weeks he copped it as 'being a waste of a spot'
    We demoted Hahn a few years back to a rookie, it was seen as not a problem.

It seems to be a popularity contest for spots more than demonstrated results.

Prudden was on the list for what 5 years, barely a murmur. Smith has had 3 on the rookie list with just one senior game and we now think he is worth upgrading.

I don't have a problem if we do promote Smith but it has to be more than just that it would be a nice thing to do. If we think he can get to 60 senior games then go for it. I'd still like to know what the perceived difference is between him and Honeychurch?

We kept Prudden on at least one year too long and given where we finished last year we should be opening up as many spots as we can.

There is no need to promote Smith now, we should pick him at the draft if he is better than other candidates.

Post Thanks / Like

Honeychurch has been given chances at AFL level and in the eyes of those in charge has likely not done enough to be retained.

Roarke has had limited opportunities due to injury, but has made the most of the chances that he has had. If we could keep him on the rookie list we would, but I do think that another club would take him if he was put back into the draft. Therefore promotion is the only option.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recall the scrutiny some placed on Adcock being a rookie? This was a guy who had played a lot of senior football and was recruited to provided some addition coverage in a few positions. Most weeks he copped it as 'being a waste of a spot'
    We demoted Hahn a few years back to a rookie, it was seen as not a problem.

It seems to be a popularity contest for spots more than demonstrated results.
    Whilst that is all true should we actually care what fans in the outer say about a player and his spot? If the team want to see what Smith can do either a season without a knee reco and are confident that he is better than anything we get after pick x then they should sign him for 1 year.

They should wait until after trade period if that's possible to make sure we know what picks we will have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Whilst that is all true should we actually care what fans in the outer say about a player and his spot? If the team want to see what Smith can do either a season without a knee reco and are confident that he is better than anything we get after pick x then they should sign him for 1 year.

They should wait until after trade period if that's possible to make sure we know what picks we will have
    I think that's the correct approach rather than promoting him now.
    Once the trade period is over we will know what players are coming into the club and what draft picks we have. It's at that point we will know how badly we need Smith

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem if we do promote Smith but it has to be more than just that it would be a nice thing to do
    Do you think the club saw keeping Prudden as more than just a nice thing to do?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff