Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Roarke Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roarke Smith

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Do you think the club saw keeping Prudden as more than just a nice thing to do?
    I don't know but perhaps it's a thought that he was such a good club man they wanted to given him another chance and I get that but at the moment I don't think we have that luxury.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't know but perhaps it's a thought that he was such a good club man they wanted to given him another chance and I get that but at the moment I don't think we have that luxury.
    Normally we have stood by guys in this situation and that's important but we may be waiting to see what else happens in terms of the commmitments we are able to make after trading

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Normally we have stood by guys in this situation and that's important but we may be waiting to see what else happens in terms of the commmitments we are able to make after trading
    I follow the Pacers in the NBA (guess I'm a sucker for pain) and Paul George (star player who was traded before pending FA kicked in) provided an insight into one of his issues with the organisation, namely the trading of a teammate and not sticking by them - made me think of this thread.

It's going to increasingly be something players consider when weighing up options - perhaps the goodwill it generates is material and we're onto it.

For context, the quote was:

"I just want to touch on, man, on my situation. I've seen a guy that played for that (Pacers) organization, gave that organization everything they had, or everything he had, and was essentially traded to the dogs. And I'm speaking on Danny Granger, who was one of the better players in Pacers history. And at the time, they traded him to the Philadelphia 76ers. And this was a guy that was battling injuries, and that's where you send him?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I follow the Pacers in the NBA (guess I'm a sucker for pain) and Paul George (star player who was traded before pending FA kicked in) provided an insight into one of his issues with the organisation, namely the trading of a teammate and not sticking by them - made me think of this thread.

It's going to increasingly be something players consider when weighing up options - perhaps the goodwill it generates is material and we're onto it.

"I just want to touch on, man, on my situation. I've seen a guy that played for that (Pacers) organization, gave that organization everything they had, or everything he had, and was essentially traded to the dogs. And I'm speaking on Danny Granger, who was one of the better players in Pacers history. And at the time, they traded him to the Philadelphia 76ers. And this was a guy that was battling injuries, and that's where you send him?"
    There's a history of teams trading away players who weren't the best players but held the boys together and made them what they are just through sheer player respect.

I think Bartlett mentioned it in the 70s when Whale Roberts was traded, the players couldn't believe they let such a club man go and they felt it the next year, just wasn't the same with him gone.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the difference is that the NBA rosters are vastly smaller to the AFL. The players travel together for long periods and would obviously spend more time with each other. The good will part counts but equally wouldn't guys close to the likes of Honeychurch think if one of them were to be retained then he would be the more natural fit?
    At some point you have to make the call, if you're consistent about it then players will adapt.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the difference is that the NBA rosters are vastly smaller to the AFL. The players travel together for long periods and would obviously spend more time with each other. The good will part counts but equally wouldn't guys close to the likes of Honeychurch think if one of them were to be retained then he would be the more natural fit?
    At some point you have to make the call, if you're consistent about it then players will adapt.
    For context the Granger one would be like us trading away Mitch Wallis. Very good player, not brilliant but also bleeds for the club. Granger was finished when they traded him though

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. When Roarke did his knee, Bevo automatically said we would stand by him.

Being kind or whatever can be a sound business strategy. Loyalty is a two way street.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckless Bulldog eyes half-back spot

AFTER a year of uncertainty, luckless Western Bulldogs youngster Roarke Smith can see his promising career taking a turn for the better in 2018.

The 21-year-old, who has played just two career games, has endured two knee reconstructions since late 2015, with the latest mishap occurring during last year's JLT Community Series.

Then, after three years on the rookie list, Smith had to be delisted and redrafted under AFL rules at the end of last season if the Dogs wanted him to remain at Whitten Oval.

With the club keeping their promise of reselecting him as rookie, the athletic defender is rejuvenated and eyeing one of the positions vacated by retired club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd.

"I was over the moon to be redrafted after a stressful year of not being able to prove myself on the field," Smith told AFL.com.au from the club's training camp in Mooloolaba.

"I just tried to show the club my dedication with my rehabilitation, but (the coaches) obviously see something in me, and I don’t want to let them down.

"I'll probably start the season with a few games in the VFL, but by mid-year I can see myself on a half-back flank (in the senior side).

"But there are a lot of young boys at the club who really need to step up with 'Bob' and 'Boydy' gone."

Smith will be vying for those spots with a host of teammates, as former Docker Hayden Crozier and draftee Ed Richards have also been earmarked as running defenders alongside regulars Jason Johannisen, Shane Biggs and Bailey Williams.

Smith will compete free of any mental scares from his injury misfortune, with his return to full training this week completed without concern for his left knee.

"We had a practice match yesterday, which was my first one (of the pre-season), and I didn't even think about my knee at all," he said.

"After doing a second knee you know a lot more, and I've had a few of the boys at the club who have done ACLs supporting me.

"I've done a few tests and the results have come back that my legs are a lot stronger than they were, so hopefully that's the end of it all."

While he has been compared to his captain Easton Wood due to his athleticism and knack of taking an intercept mark, he also shares similar attributes to Bulldog great and club development manager Rohan Smith.

Smith was a trailblazer for the modern-day defensive playmaker, characteristically rebounding off half-back during 300 games in the red, white and blue.

"I'm pretty close with Rohan and have learnt a lot off him," Roarke Smith said.

"He was a superstar who played 300 games for our club and played a similar way to the way I do, so his tips have come in real handy."

A gifted and passionate skateboarder, Smith didn't need the Dogs to warn him of the perils of sport with a history of accidents.

"I've put my skateboard in the wardrobe for a bit and it will come back out when I've finished football," he said.

"I definitely miss it; all my friends still do it and sometimes I watch them go for skate.

"It's not worth the risk because I'd rather be playing footy any day of the week."

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh! Bubba and Roarke are founding members of the R. Smith club.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Heh! Bubba and Roarke are founding members of the R. Smith club.
    Is the R. Smith club for Bulldogs only because there are a couple of blokes called Ross that could be members?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Is the R. Smith club for Bulldogs only because there are a couple of blokes called Ross that could be members?
    True. There is even a Brownlow medallist amongst them.

Post Thanks / Like

True. There is even a Brownlow medallist amongst them.
    I played footy with Jesse Smith, son of Ross Smith (ex-Nth Melbourne). From memory, Ross is a terrific bloke, always very supportive of me as a young fella plugging away at CHB in a side full of kids that would end up getting drafted. Generous with his time, a good coach. Jess had a wretched run with injury, but gee he could play.

Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder if Roarke's parents were massive fans of The Smiths and named their son after the bass player Andy Roarke. Nice work if they did, and a much better choice than going with the more obvious Morrissey Smith - Marr Smith doesn't really work either.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I played footy with Jesse Smith, son of Ross Smith (ex-Nth Melbourne). From memory, Ross is a terrific bloke, always very supportive of me as a young fella plugging away at CHB in a side full of kids that would end up getting drafted. Generous with his time, a good coach. Jess had a wretched run with injury, but gee he could play.
    I remember Ross Smith. Tough as nails is the phrase that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I often wonder if Roarke's parents were massive fans of The Smiths and named their son after the bass player Andy Roarke. Nice work if they did, and a much better choice than going with the more obvious Morrissey Smith - Marr Smith doesn't really work either.
    Joyce Smith? After the drummer

Post Thanks / Like

Joyce Smith? After the drummer
    Maybe that's his sister
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"