Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Prelim revisited

I'm crook, it's a glorious day outside but for me it's the perfect day to revisit last years prelim

Last year about now I'm rattling up the Hume

I hate to be all Bruce about it (actually I don't &#128513 but it was an incredibly special and that prelim at spotless is the single most pulsating game I've ever been to

It's also a way of dealing with this years disappointment

What are your memories of the day? Game?

JJs searing run and kick to Bont for the goal paddle gather and goal still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Prelim revisited

One of the greatest days of my life. The last play of Stringer to Dickson etched in my memory forever.

My kids ringing me at the final siren with messages of congratulations and hysteria and I couldn't speak. Only cried like a baby!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Likes Eastdog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I'm crook, it's a glorious day outside but for me it's the perfect day to revisit last years prelim

Last year about now I'm rattling up the Hume

I hate to be all Bruce about it (actually I don't ��) but it was an incredibly special and that prelim at spotless is the single most pulsating game I've ever been to

It's also a way of dealing with this years disappointment

What are your memories of the day? Game?

JJs searing run and kick to Bont for the goal paddle gather and goal still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up
    Jakie to Deadeye, siren! Pandemonium, noise, I'm running through the house screaming "*!*!*!*!ing yes, *!*!*!*!ing yes, *!*!*!*!ING YEEEEEEESSS!!!!!'" Then I'm in the front yard jumping and screaming and bezerking things in my front yard. My son is screaming swear words in pure delight out of the first floor window at the top of his voice.

Then I turn around. My Mexican next door neighbour is standing in his front yard with 8 of his mates watching me. And then at Harvey yelling out of his window. Then at me. Then at Harvey. Then he shrugs his shoulders as if to say "mate, are you alright?" And I think "how can I tell a man who doesn't speak much English what this is all about." And then it occurred to me and I turned around and just said said "football" and he said "ahhh, Mexicans understand football" and we ended up spending the rest of the night dancing with the other neighbours in the street.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Long drive. Huge convoy of cars for 900km with scarfs coming from their windows.
    Best crowd feeling ever. Tribal X 1000. Can't describe it adequately.
    Booing them coming out. (Post knowing GWS officials sooked about us doing it)
    Great game.
    Giving it Heath Shaw pre-game and all game, from only metres away and getting the middle finger back. He listens to us! & Libba!
    Great result.
    Hugging dozens of strangers. (I don't hug anyone, ever)
    High fiving until my hand was sore.
    Back to a hotel 90 minutes away, fully booked by WBFC people.
    Long drive home day after.
    One of the best days of my life.
    Overall, better than the GF day, just.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I was in shock couldn't believe it, didn't know what to do celebrate or keep a lid on it , knowing how stressed I would be , dreaming and begging for the next Saturday to be over and wishing the outcome would be ours.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Zaine's expertly timed knee was a thing of beauty.

There should be a bronze cast of that moment erected next to EJ's statue.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

1. The entire passage of play leading to Caleb Daniel's goal just before 3/4 time - we don't win without it
    2. The Matty Boyd skewiff kick off the ground that lands perfectly in the path of JJ for his run - our very own Scarlett toe poke moment
    3. Picko and Libba grunt work to start the passage of play resulting in Macrae's goal
    4. Heath Shaw completely cooked by Libba's taunting - 4 goals to Dickson the direct result
    5. Patton shitting the bed with an oncoming Easton Wood terrorising him and winning the ground ball

So many wonderful memories.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Eastdog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flew up with my mate early morning and checked into a hotel not far from the airport. Thanks to Aker39, for letting me know the hotel was brand new and had opening specials. We decided to train it into Circular Quay and have a walk around the Opera house and rocks area. The whole area was full of Bulldogs fans, scarves, caps, jumpers etc etc. Every cafe, eatery, people walking around a great site to see in Sydney. Ran into Comrade and not long after ran into Aker39. It was a great start to the day and everyone was excited at the prospect we could be in a GF

After lunch, made our way to the stadium to get a beer and mingle with other supporters. Getting off the train at Homebush, I ran into someone I was catching up with every week in a walking group, with his son. 15,000 plus fans and I run into people I know, such a small world. We decided to hang around together and their seats were near to ours. WE tried a number of venues and couldn't get a beer anywhere, the outside venues didn't anticipate such a big crowd. Decided to go into the ground, still an hour before the game and at last we could get a couple of beers and discuss the up coming game. Standing on the terrace, and Mitch Wallis stops over for a chat. He was nervous as hell and great bloke to talk to.

Game time, and on runs the Plastics to massive boo, wow our fans sounded like the 90,000 Tigers fans.

During the last 10 minutes of the game, I have never been so tense, my legs were sore for days. My mate back in Melbourne was texting me how much was time left for the last 3 minutes of the game. I said to my mate, if this is a draw, I don't know if I can cope with another ten minutes.

When the ball was sailing through the air into the arms of Dickson, and I knew there was only 30 seconds left, that feeling was one of the greatest in my life knowing we were in the grand final. I didn't even see Dickson kick the ball I was jumping so high. The roar of the crowd was so massive and honestly have never heard anything so load. (until the GF)

The next day at the airport for a 9.30 flight caught up with the same guys as we were on the same flight. We talked and talked about the game, and didn't hear there was a gate change and missed our flight. Unfortunately the next available was at 2pm which meant couldn't get to Etihad for the VFL GF.

What a day, one of the greatest ever,
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As a result of that day and the match, Spotless is now my favourite ground (after the MCG and Etihad...)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Zaine's expertly timed knee was a thing of beauty.

There should be a bronze cast of that moment erected next to EJ's statue.

Zaine is the sort of player at other clubs who would retire with 200 odd games and 3 premierships. I'd look at it and think "really. Zaine Cordy (Ian Aitkin, Ray Jenke) played in 3 premierships? How?"

Now I now how and why.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

One day I will be able to remember the sound and feel of the final siren sounding without crying. One day....
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

15. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great game it was. I'll never forget it. Like Twodogs was watching it at home hoping we would prevail and in the end we did. Was in tears at the end of the match being the only Dogs supporter in my family they were all very happy for me. Got texts etc from other family and friends saying congratulations.

I've suggested to do a WOOFcast at some stage of our 2016 finals series the Grand final and prelim certainly would be great to relive again with fellow woofers.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

17. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After working at the MCG the night before and not getting to bed until 1.00am, I was up at 4.30am to get to the airport for a 6.00am flight. We were lucky to check in to our hotel att 8.00am and I had a couple of hours sleep while my sister took my soon for a swim.

Got the train in to Circular Quay and went for a walk around the Rocks and gave the nod to hundreds of Dogs supporters.

Then caught the train to catch up with 15 family members at The Brewery Bar at Novotel Olympic Park. Walking out if the station only positive vibes were around. I had been lucky enough to be in the same precinct when Cathy Freeman won gold and when Australia beat Uruguay to qualify for the World Cup. Great atmosphere with the place packed out with bulldog supporters singing the song many times.

Made our way to the ground and walking in the nerves started to take over, only to be settled by the boos when GWS ran out for their warm up. I knew then that the supporters were going to do everything to help finally kill the preliminary final curse.

Watching Heath Shaw make mistake after mistake was a joy to behold. I will always remember the Daniel and Bont goals but after having seen numerous GF dreams crushed by missed set shots, McCrae's goal will always be the highlight.

To be there and celebrate with my family was the most special moment. And celebrate we did. Back to the Novotel for one big party, watching the Melbourne Storm preliminary final and then a full replay of our game, mingling with former Footscray players who had the biggest grins. Seeing the joy on their faces was another special moment.
    Caught the last train from Olympic Park and got to bed at 1.30am before getting up at 4.30am for a 6.00am flight home.

I have said it before, GF day was an awesome day, but nothing will beat PF day 2016.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    As a result of that day and the match, Spotless is now my favourite ground (after the MCG and Etihad...)
    Yep it holds a special place now Spotless in our clubs history. It was where we made the AFL Grand Final and broke a 55 years drought of not getting there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get the Bulldog time machine and set it to September 2016