Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 AFL Grand Final Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So after the precedent set by the AFL last year, what rules will they implement to curb Richmond's success?
    A ban on small players tackling or running fast. Lock it in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So after the precedent set by the AFL last year, what rules will they implement to curb Richmond's success?

1. Ban don't argues
    2. No player who has won both the brownlow and norm smith shall be able to play more than half a game

What else?
    None it's only when it's us involved.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Dustin Martin has to bounce the ball every time he takes a step like a basketballer. Alex Rance isn't allowed out of the goal square. Jack Rievoldt has to sing a song (crowd requests accepted) as he has a shot at goal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Nick can always revel in that dive straight after half time of the 2009 PF. Fark him and his dirty club - they had their chances and blew it big time.

Used to hate Jack but his transformation from surly selfish turd burger to loveable selfless rogue in the last couple of years has been complete. Lovrd watching him belt out 'Mr Brightside' alongside Brandon Flowers last night.
    I quite enjoyed watching it.

If there's anyone with doubts as to Jack's character I'll leave them with this thought: Bob Murphy has appointed him as the replacement CEO of 'Rascal Enterprises' on AFL 360.

If he's good enough for Bob he's good enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually wouldnt be too surprised if they crack down on don't argues.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Ban don't argues
    2. No player who has won both the brownlow and norm smith shall be able to play more than half a game

What else?
    Ban players with tatts
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Ban players with tatts
    Nah go the other way and force them to play Menedue and Lennon.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Toby Nankervis isn't allowed to jump off the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I really struggle with the whole home ground advantage thing for Melbourne teams when it comes to the MCG.

The SCG and GABBA are very similar in shape to the MCG, however, redeveloped grounds in Adelaide, Perth and Geelong - alongside those done on the Gold Coast and Homebush have been designed to a distinctly different shape.

Geelong's ground didn't have the space to go wider to be more related to the MCG, but did the Adelaide Oval and the new Perth stadium had the opportunity to do so during their redevelopments/developments?

Docklands in my view is too small and too easy to congest, if it's sold for real estate value then any new build needs to be at least as long as the MCG but importantly - just as wide and circular.

There's a reason why Sydney understand how to play the G, it's not because they're awesome, it's because their home ground is pretty much shaped like the G is.

Given the AFL is the biggest revenue spinner for each of Perth and Adelaide's grounds, why would they build them so differently to where the finals are concluded, the ground at which you earn the premiership?

My theory is they like the oddity to away teams their home grounds present. For them to piss and moan about how unfair Grand Finals at the MCG are is a bit over the top, when they had the chance to mimic its shape.

*This is pretty much a piss take post. Plus, when the Dogs won the premiership we played against an opposition that showed up, and we still smashed them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a believer that the higher side should be given the right to host the final at the ground of their choosing. So Adelaide oval, Kardinia park, Etihad stadium etc would and should all see finals. Richmond for example effectively had two home finals against higher ranked teams this year.

I'm not that strongly opposed to the current system to worry too much, but I think it's something which is dismissed almost completely by nearly everybody aside from interstate supporters, while other issues like the bye are blown up out of proportion.

I mean, clearly the fact that the MCG tenants gain a huge advantage over every other club come finals time and Melbourne based clubs don't have to travel for the biggest game is a much bigger unfairness than a bye that every team receives.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm a believer that the higher side should be given the right to host the final at the ground of their choosing. So Adelaide oval, Kardinia park, Etihad stadium etc would and should all see finals. Richmond for example effectively had two home finals against higher ranked teams this year.

I'm not that strongly opposed to the current system to worry too much, but I think it's something which is dismissed almost completely by nearly everybody aside from interstate supporters, while other issues like the bye are blown up out of proportion.

I mean, clearly the fact that the MCG tenants gain a huge advantage over every other club come finals time and Melbourne based clubs don't have to travel for the biggest game is a much bigger unfairness than a bye that every team receives.
    It's a good point you make. I always go with the MCG only crowd but a set of circumstances as you lay it out would usually start me thinking that maybe the argument for it to stay are a little too convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Well, if the entire fixture is openly promoted as a revenue raising exercise and the finals are as well, why would any integrity or fairness ever come into the conversation?

I agree that issues like the bye are discussed disproportionately however, any scribe with cred and an eye to who butters the bread understands that the big issues like fixtures, integrity and equality are off limits to report or bang on about.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.