Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tom Boyd Trade - Three Years On

Him going to Carlton seems ludicrous for two reasons
    1 didn't he leave Melbourne because he doesn't like the fish bowl ? So now he comes back to it ?
    2 why would any team take him when he can't even get on the ground through injury.
    I also wonder if the move to GWS was a secret agreement between us and him, factor in his back was stuffed , we knew it and he knew it , so he wanted to get the biggest pay day he could and we were in on it as to get a great trade before his value dropped due to his injury being worse than anyone else knew .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Him going to Carlton seems ludicrous for two reasons
    1 didn't he leave Melbourne because he doesn't like the fish bowl ? So now he comes back to it ?
    2 why would any team take him when he can't even get on the ground through injury.
    I also wonder if the move to GWS was a secret agreement between us and him, factor in his back was stuffed , we knew it and he knew it , so he wanted to get the biggest pay day he could and we were in on it as to get a great trade before his value dropped due to his injury being worse than anyone else knew .

Like the old Kelvin Templeton conspiracy. It went that KT and the club both knew his knee was bunt so we cleared him to Melbourne before they did too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

If Grooffun to Blues eventuates you'd half suspect SOS is a double agent - or a Giants' plant.

Maybe the Blues 'owe' them for kindliness with a previous deal.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I wonder if they are offloading Griffey for salary cap reasons? His best is way past, may have 2 or 20 games left in him. Carlton need another mature midfielder to take the hits for young team. He would complement Thomas, as they are both goal kicking mids on their day.
    But you got to laugh at Carlton being the second station for gws ex-players. How many are on carlton's list now ?

The irony is gws have traded away alot of depth in players like treloar, Boyd , marchbank , to name a few off top of my head.
    Not all are still on their list, but 13 players was the last count.
    Last edited by bornadog; 25-09-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: quoted wrong post
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom was fantastic when it counted

I hope his career kicks off again in 2018

I wish our former players the best but I have no real interest - they cease being to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not all are still on their list, but 13 players was the last count.

Did you quote the right post here mate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Addendum: happened upon human skidmark Barrett on Footy Classified tonight who opines Gryphon may be out the door and on his way to Princes Park next year.

I'd love Purple to talk us through who won the trade if that eventuates.
    Wrong thread my friend. It belongs in the Ekers thread!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree . Tom ruck efforts in the final series was huge . Considering roughead went down with an eye injury , he was carrying the full load for considerable amount of game. 4 goals in the GF.
    I don't want to ruin a good story but he kicked only 3 goals I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Did you quote the right post here mate?
    whoops, wrong post. Fixed now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    whoops, wrong post. Fixed now.
    It was 8.42 am. Your caffeine levels were probably dangerously low.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griffen & pick 6 for Boyd was considered overpaying at the time, as you would expect when our player has walked out and theirs is contracted. As it has turned out neither Griffen nor pick 6 have done a lot for GWS, though the Marchbank trade was part of GWS getting a first rounder in this year's draft which hasn't happened yet

The bigger issue though was the money, we've done pretty well with player retention but it's also about who else we may have been able to bring to the club. We always expected Boyd to peak towards the end of his contract so whilst it is 3 years on, it's still too early to call on that front
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

What's your opinion on Marchbank Boydogs (or anybody)? He seems a perfectly decent third tall at the moment an he develop into a KP? As he was part of the Boyd trade I always feel compelled to compare the two.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember being asked by (non-bulldog) mates at the time what I thought of the trade.
    My attitude was that whatever the cost, we simply HAD to try something, 60 years (at the time) without a flag - I'd rather fail spectacularly going for a big trade, than to do nothing. And history shows that the trade paid off - and we all got to retweet Robbo's post from Oct '14 back to him in Oct' 16.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree . Tom ruck efforts in the final series was huge . Considering roughead went down with an eye injury , he was carrying the full load for considerable amount of game. 4 goals in the GF.
    3 goals in the GF.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's your opinion on Marchbank Boydogs (or anybody)? He seems a perfectly decent third tall at the moment an he develop into a KP? As he was part of the Boyd trade I always feel compelled to compare the two.
    I will always compare Tom to 2 metre Peter. That is who we would have chosen with pick 6 I read. Not Marchbank.