Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tom Boyd Trade - Three Years On

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We won the trade by a mile. You thought he was pretty good in the Granny, wait till he matures over the next few seasons.
    Absolutely. Dalrymple is just so strong in what he thinks Tom will become.

The trade would be drawn or a win for them if they'd won a premiership within Gryphones contract period (not sure they'll do it next year). They gave up the kid who was #1 in the draft by the length of the Flemington straight. Which helped us win a premiership, and they've got very little for it. With Mumford stuffed, and Lobb apparently going into first ruck I reckon they'd love to have Lobb & Boyd capable of forward & rucking, with Cameron & Patton as forwards who can pinch hit down back with contested marking. Now all they have his is Gryphone's arse imprint on a chair in the medico's room.

They threw so much top end merchandise away to get Shaw (Adams, first rounder), Deledio (first rounder) & Gryphone (Boyd, pick 1) that they really needed to have won by a premiership by 2017. If these guys fall off the cliff next year with Mumford, Mzungu and others... Well they'll be regretful about letting them go and then the serious questions start about how in the hell have they shit the bed with every opportunity they've been gifted.

Personally, I hope their list is raided again this year and relegate them into a middle of the road team for a long time to come.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with your sentiments BT. I hope the plastics eventually fold and all the ridiculous $ helping keep them afloat is distributed across the other clubs. Middle of the road BT - you are being too kind. Really hanging out for Tommy Boyd's 2018 as I reckon' we will see a stronger, leaner Tom take the next step up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Agree with your sentiments BT. I hope the plastics eventually fold and all the ridiculous $ helping keep them afloat is distributed across the other clubs. Middle of the road BT - you are being too kind. Really hanging out for Tommy Boyd's 2018 as I reckon' we will see a stronger, leaner Tom take the next step up.
    How sweet all this will be!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

GWS have got very little out of Grifffen to this point. Boyd's best 2 games were at the right time at least, he's got another 4 years to prove himself further.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We won the trade by a mile. You thought he was pretty good in the Granny, wait till he matures over the next few seasons.
    Whilst I agree with this, Tom could retire tomorrow and he'll have been worth every cent.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Absolutely. Dalrymple is just so strong in what he thinks Tom will become.

The trade would be drawn or a win for them if they'd won a premiership within Gryphones contract period (not sure they'll do it next year). They gave up the kid who was #1 in the draft by the length of the Flemington straight. Which helped us win a premiership, and they've got very little for it. With Mumford stuffed, and Lobb apparently going into first ruck I reckon they'd love to have Lobb & Boyd capable of forward & rucking, with Cameron & Patton as forwards who can pinch hit down back with contested marking. Now all they have his is Gryphone's arse imprint on a chair in the medico's room.

They threw so much top end merchandise away to get Shaw (Adams, first rounder), Deledio (first rounder) & Gryphone (Boyd, pick 1) that they really needed to have won by a premiership by 2017. If these guys fall off the cliff next year with Mumford, Mzungu and others... Well they'll be regretful about letting them go and then the serious questions start about how in the hell have they shit the bed with every opportunity they've been gifted.

Personally, I hope their list is raided again this year and relegate them into a middle of the road team for a long time to come.
    These are questions that should be being asked now and they ought to start with Tony Sheoherd. Tony is very good at demanding finals at empty venues that embarrass the competition and spending the AFL's money. But he's not so good at answering questions about what return we should expect for the money it pours down that black hole outside of "this has to be a 20 year project in Western Sydney".

It's time for the AFL to rein him in or find somebody with more realistic expectations for the job. We haven't got 20 years to indulge ourselves in Wetern Sydney-that's just ridiculous. I think we should put a 5 year limit and if the people of western Sydney aren't packing out the stadium by then it's time to pack up and move on. There's nothing like a deadline to focus the mind, I'm sure that Tony often points out to his employees.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    These are questions that should be being asked now and they ought to start with Tony Sheoherd. Tony is very good at demanding finals at empty venues that embarrass the competition and spending the AFL's money. But he's not so good at answering questions about what return we should expect for the money it pours down that black hole outside of "this has to be a 20 year project in Western Sydney".

It's time for the AFL to rein him in or find somebody with more realistic expectations for the job. We haven't got 20 years to indulge ourselves in Wetern Sydney-that's just ridiculous. I think we should put a 5 year limit and if the people of western Sydney aren't packing out the stadium by then it's time to pack up and move on. There's nothing like a deadline to focus the mind, I'm sure that Tony often points out to his employees.
    I don't believe for a second they got 14,000 to the semi. Having been there last year, I reckon 10,000 would be more accurate and probably the lowest ever crowd in the history of VFL/AFL football. If that's a huge semi final, god help them when they're a mid and lower range team and the new-novelty factor is gone. They'll make Fitzroy crowds in the 1990's look huge.

But that's beside the point. Their smug press conferences after kick starting our ShockTober and then landing Gryphone must have felt great for them. And I hope it did. Because the reality 3 years later, is they have to accept that its backfired in their reviews. And now we can sit back watching Tommy for a decade while Gryphone can spend his days pig shooting as a 4 time prelim losing, multi club, deserting captain, former player. I hope he pulls up everyone at GWS that sold him a snake oil trade based on sorts of things they've not delivered.

8. Likes chef, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Addendum: happened upon human skidmark Barrett on Footy Classified tonight who opines Gryphon may be out the door and on his way to Princes Park next year.

I'd love Purple to talk us through who won the trade if that eventuates.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't believe for a second they got 14,000 to the semi. Having been there last year, I reckon 10,000 would be more accurate and probably the lowest ever crowd in the history of VFL/AFL football. If that's a huge semi final, god help them when they're a mid and lower range team and the new-novelty factor is gone. They'll make Fitzroy crowds in the 1990's look huge.

But that's beside the point. Their smug press conferences after kick starting our ShockTober and then landing Gryphone must have felt great for them. And I hope it did. Because the reality 3 years later, is they have to accept that its backfired in their reviews. And now we can sit back watching Tommy for a decade while Gryphone can spend his days pig shooting as a 4 time prelim losing, multi club, deserting captain, former player. I hope he pulls up everyone at GWS that sold him a snake oil trade based on sorts of things they've not delivered.
    It's just a matter of time until they will have to wind it up. It was foolish in the extreme to think it stood a snowflakes chance in hell of being a success.

But that's not their biggest problem. Leon Cameron is their biggest problem.

The boy is an idiot moron and has no idea what he is doing is their biggest problem. Thank Christ we appointed Bevo when we very nearly appointed Leon. Bless you Luke Darcy!

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny the snakeman View Post
    If he never plays again we are still winners and so is Tom (just need to close my eyes and i can see the goal out of the center in the GF). Tho im sure he'll be back better than ever.
    I agree . Tom ruck efforts in the final series was huge . Considering roughead went down with an eye injury , he was carrying the full load for considerable amount of game. 4 goals in the GF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I agree . Tom ruck efforts in the final series was huge . Considering roughead went down with an eye injury , he was carrying the full load for considerable amount of game. 4 goals in the GF.
    And against Mumford the inform ruckman in the comp at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Addendum: happened upon human skidmark Barrett on Footy Classified tonight who opines Gryphon may be out the door and on his way to Princes Park next year.

I'd love Purple to talk us through who won the trade if that eventuates.
    In no way does that trade make sense to me from any perspective aside from Carlton's obligation to take all unwanted GWS players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    In no way does that trade make sense to me from any perspective aside from Carlton's obligation to take all unwanted GWS players.

Carlton must be contractually obliged to take any GWS rejects or something. Or maybe SOS was just signing so many clearence papers for GWS rejects that Griffen's was slipped onto the bottom of the pile and he didn't notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Carlton must be contractually obliged to take any GWS rejects or something. Or maybe SOS was just signing so many clearence papers for GWS rejects that Griffen's was slipped onto the bottom of the pile and he didn't notice.
    I wonder if they are offloading Griffey for salary cap reasons? His best is way past, may have 2 or 20 games left in him. Carlton need another mature midfielder to take the hits for young team. He would complement Thomas, as they are both goal kicking mids on their day.
    But you got to laugh at Carlton being the second station for gws ex-players. How many are on carlton's list now ?

The irony is gws have traded away alot of depth in players like treloar, Boyd , marchbank , to name a few off top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I wonder if they are offloading Griffey for salary cap reasons? His best is way past, may have 2 or 20 games left in him. Carlton need another mature midfielder to take the hits for young team. He would complement Thomas, as they are both goal kicking mids on their day.
    But you got to laugh at Carlton being the second station for gws ex-players. How many are on carlton's list now ?

The irony is gws have traded away alot of depth in players like treloar, Boyd , marchbank , to name a few off top of my head.

It'd be ironic if GWS had to pay some of his salary.