Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tom Boyd Trade - Three Years On

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I will always compare Tom to 2 metre Peter. That is who we would have chosen with pick 6 I read. Not Marchbank.

Yeah true that. I wonder if Peter Wright is on this now legendary list of Gold Coast players up for trade?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah true that. I wonder if Peter Wright is on this now legendary list of Gold Coast players up for trade?
    Wish he was Td. Doubt it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparantly Barrett saying griffen could go to Carlton??

Has anyone heard this?

If true, it means GWS are looking for a salary cap dump. The Silvagni led Carlton regime would be the only club stupid enough to fall for that. It would be better for the comp if GWS had to retain players like Griffen. How ironic it would be, a once proud club like Carlton becoming the dunny for GWS's unwanted waste.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Apparantly Barrett saying griffen could go to Carlton??

Has anyone heard this?

If true, it means GWS are looking for a salary cap dump. The Silvagni led Carlton regime would be the only club stupid enough to fall for that. It would be better for the comp if GWS had to retain players like Griffen. How ironic it would be, a once proud club like Carlton becoming the dunny for GWS's unwanted waste.
    Reported on Footy Classified last night.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about it back on on page 23.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...Years-On/page2

Post Thanks / Like

What's your opinion on Marchbank Boydogs (or anybody)? He seems a perfectly decent third tall at the moment an he develop into a KP? As he was part of the Boyd trade I always feel compelled to compare the two.
    He's not bad mate. Was only traded because he wanted to go to Melbourne I think
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking about it back on on page 23.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...Years-On/page2
    I like to break the news after it's been broken!

I like that Carlton have become the GWS dunny!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll buck the trend here but Tom Boyd hasn't repaid the faith and the investment we made in acquiring his services...not by a long way.

Now I'll be the first acknowledge and make allowances for Boyd in what what a very hard season for him but I think if all things work out for the better I can see a very long and productive career for him with us.
    He's nowhere near his peak and I really hope the club can help him reach that.

3 years on and the appetite has just been whetted
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    He's not bad mate. Was only traded because he wanted to go to Melbourne I think

Cheers bud. Marchbank is a good kick, that's something we should be fanatical about in our recruits at the moment

I like to break the news after it's been broken!

I like that Carlton have become the GWS dunny!
    The man wiho knows... The man who can tell you what just happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll buck the trend here but Tom Boyd hasn't repaid the faith and the investment we made in acquiring his services...not by a long way.

Now I'll be the first acknowledge and make allowances for Boyd in what what a very hard season for him but I think if all things work out for the better I can see a very long and productive career for him with us.

The fact that his real cameo came on the biggest day of he year is encouraging for mine. That he was able to step up in a grand final and match it with with some real stars. But it's producing that level of talent in standard games on a weekly basis that we need from Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

However he repaid the faith when we needed it most.

Post Thanks / Like

My only worry about Tom is he doesn't seem to demand the ball, make it his , crash the packs, get angry, scare the opposition.
    Needs to get some real you know what In him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Its an interesting argument.
    I guess it depends how you set up the criteria for success. I guess i think of it as follows.
    What was the purpose in signing him? Was he viewed as a necessary component toward attaining finals success? Was he a critical component towards winning our premiership?

If answering affirmative to those questions then I think you can judge his signing to be a success.
    I personally think his prelim final was huge and his Grand Final even better. I actually think he deserved the Normie.

Now if we define success on criteria based on his consistency, quantity of match winning performances in relation to the terms of his contract then no.

But as someone who had given up on thinking I'd see a Bulldog premiership in my lifetime, I'm very happy with accepting the premise that if we didn't have Tom Boyd in either the Prelim or the GF then we don't have a premiership in 2016. And on that measure alone -even if he never plays another game I think its a successful trade.

That being said I truly hope Tom is revitalised next year and can contribute towards more success in the coming yearsand be the big time player we need, consistently.

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still annoyed we seemingly added pick 6 so easily

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Still annoyed we seemingly added pick 6 so easily

I don't think that GWS was going to consider a straight swap of Griffen for Boyd-an ageing injury prone super star for the #1 pick from the previous year (I think both were contracted at the time so it's not like one club held a whip hand there) but the offer should have been our second rounder instead of our first or we probably should have held out for a second rounder back our way. It would have been good to have another moving part to the trade.

Given the history of this trade I will predict that we trade Jake Stringer to GWS for the first round pick they got for Caleb Marchbank last year.

Post Thanks / Like

However he repaid the faith when we needed it most.
    If he was on a one or two year deal then yeah, but his deal is a bit longer than that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"