Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barry Hall returns to Swans punching form in last game

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Still not a good idea, if I were him. Looking at how much Fevola makes per game, I'd leave that option open to me. If for nothing else, to have options to make more easy money. And not reinforce his legacy as a violent player.
    Also not good for his media job , I wonder if they will interrogate him or is he off limits because he is employed by them?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Also not good for his media job , I wonder if they will interrogate him or is he off limits because he is employed by them?
    I'm sure it's already blown over. His employer will make a blokey joke out of it never be discussed again. Ideally they'd sack him and channel 7 would pick him up thereby sacking Ling.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would a life ban been kicked in with 2?

What is the rule there? It was a cumulative 14 weeks with Fahour that kicked in the life ban but I don't know if the 14 weeks has a time frame. Say 14 weeks inside 3 years?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What is the rule there? It was a cumulative 14 weeks with Fahour that kicked in the life ban but I don't know if the 14 weeks has a time frame. Say 14 weeks inside 3 years?
    I'm not as up like I used to be. But it was a lifetime limit of 14 weeks I think. But afl players got a 50% reduction if they played on at different levels. So a hypothetical player with 24 weeks suspension at afl level goes to down 12 for the lifetime ban. If that player gets 2 at local level, then they hit 14 weeks and that's them done. Get it down to one, you play on. Was it Baker from St Kilda that had this problem with the MPNFL a few years back, and appealed the tribunal decision?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as up like I used to be. But it was a lifetime limit of 14 weeks I think. But afl players got a 50% reduction if they played on at different levels. So a hypothetical player with 24 weeks suspension at afl level goes to down 12 for the lifetime ban. If that player gets 2 at local level, then they hit 14 weeks and that's them done. Get it down to one, you play on. Was it Baker from St Kilda that had this problem with the MPNFL a few years back, and appealed the tribunal decision?

That's what I don't understand. Toby Greene (I think, it might be one if the other thugs) has more than a commutative 14 weeks suspension since his debut. I guess there is a weighting if a player takes a reduced penalty and it's only just that the lesser penalty is recorded.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I don't understand. Toby Greene (I think, it might be one if the other thugs) has more than a commutative 14 weeks suspension since his debut. I guess there is a weighting if a player takes a reduced penalty and it's only just that the lesser penalty is recorded.
    I'm certain the ban doesn't apply within the AFEL. It's lower leagues.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certain the ban doesn't apply within the AFEL. It's lower leagues.
    Does that seem fair? Just because you are a professional footballer it means you get to take a swing at anybody and not worry about a lifetime ban. That can't be right, can it?

Could there be another reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Does that seem fair? Just because you are a professional footballer it means you get to take a swing at anybody and not worry about a lifetime ban. That can't be right, can it?

Could there be another reason?
    It's not fair. In my view assault is assault and should be treated the same way in sport as it is in society - across all levels.

Hall should have been put in front of a judge for what he did to Staker. He purposely caused injury to him, and the act could have had a significant consequence to Staker.

If you want to clean up this rubbish, you need to start taking it seriously.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How anyone can defend that is beyond me.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes jeemak, aker39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's not fair. In my view assault is assault and should be treated the same way in sport as it is in society - across all levels.

Hall should have been put in front of a judge for what he did to Staker. He purposely caused injury to him, and the act could have had a significant consequence to Staker.

I agree, any punch whether it be on a sports field or anywhere should be treated the same.
    Assault if the recipient wants to press , I guess in AFL footy they mostly don't press charges.
    The Bruns/ Matthews one was probably the most blatant with Barry not far behind.
    Oh and the Muir/Collins one.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with the Staker thing, you don't often see a worse example of violence visited upon someone on a sporting field. And Hall had form and had been enabled by the AFL in the past. They let him play in a grand final after he picked a player off metres 40 away from the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. If role models, or people around role models (Tom Bugg) are seen to not have consequences that's a clear message.

Ironically, the most awful assaults I've ever eye witnessed in any role in life was as a football umpire in my late teens, not police officer. I'm pretty sure the biggest penalty I saw at a tribunal was 4 or 5 weeks of not playing a game. It still seems that way, and when Bugg gets, what I think, a light penalty. The problem ain't going to be fixed anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like

They aren't interested in fixing it up. They love a little bit of biff to drive comment and outrage and ratings and on and on.