Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do, with Stew?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the suspended players were paid during their time out? If so, this means we paid Stewie for two years of virtually no games. Really disappointing as I highly rate what he brought to us at his best.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the suspended players were paid during their time out? If so, this means we paid Stewie for two years of virtually no games. Really disappointing as I highly rate what he brought to us at his best.
    In his suspension year Essendon had to pay all or the majority of his salary. So we were able to salary cap bank or otherwise use that amount.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Essendon had to pay all the suspended players wages at other clubs I believe.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Assuming we let both Stringer and Crameri go, what is our plan of attack - how do we suspect we'll kick winning scores?

Our forward line is a shambles as it is and trading away 2 of our better natural forwards could make for comical viewing next year.
    Different type but Crozier would be a decent replacement up forward for Crameri if we go down that path - I'm sure some of the Ross Lyon maniacal defensive pressure has rubbed off on him. Roughly exchanging Crameri for Crozier and Campbell for Stefan Martin automatically makes our list better IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agreed - certainly some grave concerns around Dickson.

We have no natural crumbers on our list besides Stringer, so if we want to implement a Richmond-esque forward line we're essentially going to have to trade and draft in a new forward half!

Will be interesting to see what we do. The only 'locks' for a forward half role would be Boyd, Dale (likely to play quite a bit on the wing though) and maybe Dahl if he plays there. It doesn't make for great reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think Picken and Hunter will have to play there.

Cloke said last week he is going to play on. He might provide some value up forward providing no one breaks his ribs from behind in another courageous act.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Stew. We need 6 spots.

Out: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Stringer, Honey and an uncontracted player to be 6th (as Campbell didn't find a new home)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah his future was stamped with that last trade. Gone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Out: Bob, Boyd, Hamilton, Stringer, Honey and an uncontracted player to be 6th (as Campbell didn't find a new home)
    Good point.

Mathematically not possible to retain him unless by an off chance he's still there in a rookie draft (unlikely).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah his future was stamped with that last trade. Gone
    And for nothing now. A very expensive two good seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

He will come cheap if we decide to keep him, good get for the wage I believe he could still be a very good player.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He will come cheap if we decide to keep him, good get for the wage I believe he could still be a very good player.
    We need to delist him, it’s not a choice. 6 will come in, we have 5 out and only Stew the only contracted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Could we get Cloke to retire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm really keen for Stew to play on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I think we can delist him if we want. Obviously would have to pay his salary if we did that.

Crameri is gone, not upset about it either.

Post Thanks / Like

If Stew nominated for the ND, we could use pick 82. He won't last to 82 I'd guess.
    If Stew nominated for the RD, we could use pick 9. That's touch and go, but I wouldn't think he'd last as a rookie proposition.
    If Stew went to the AFEL and asked for special dispensation because of the WADA stuff, maybe they do something to help him and us?....