Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do, with Stew?

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get picked up as a delisted free agent by somebody.

If not, then I would be very happy for us to take him at 82 in the ND if available and re-rookie Roarke. Lots of moving parts there though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I would've prefered Campbell to find a new home for the spot. But that's not reality. Crameri & Honey are to a new home, or career.
    One plus for Tom is that his last 2 games in the seniors were 2 of the best games he had played with us. Without looking at the stats I think he was 30 plus for hit outs both games. If he can stay injury free I can see him challenging Roughy for our number one ruck spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    One plus for Tom is that his last 2 games in the seniors were 2 of the best games he had played with us. Without looking at the stats I think he was 30 plus for hit outs both games. If he can stay injury free I can see him challenging Roughy for our number one ruck spot.
    That's the trouble with our main rucks is their durability. I see Campbell as the main ruck and Roughy a jack of all trades type.
    I can see Bevo fazing Tom out as he doesn't have enough strings to his bow.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty I would rather re draft Crameri than Rourke Smith. Both are injury worries but Crameri has runs on the board. When he is fit we know how good he can be. With Smith we only hope he will be any good.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

5. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    In all honesty I would rather re draft Crameri than Rourke Smith. Both are injury worries but Crameri has runs on the board. When he is fit we know how good he can be. With Smith we only hope he will be any good.
    Same here.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

In: 3 picks/players at the draft (minimum), Trengove, Crozier, Schache

6 players in - so we need six players out

Out: 1. Bob 2. Boyd 3. Hamilton 4. Stringer 5. Honeychurch 6. *the only uncontracted player is Crameri

- Either a player quits or Stew is delisted
    - If he nominates for the national draft we can draft him with pick 82
    - If he nominees for the rookie draft we can draft him with 9

We can't offer him a contract. There's no spot available as it stands today, or tomorrow unless another player quits their contract.
    We could not offer Roarke Smith a spot and keep Crameri

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    The irony of the way the Stringer dealings were handled by the Bombers and Stringer's manager is that Stringer has screwed his good mate Crameri's chances on being on a list.
    It's just business.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Well yes and no. We have to draft or upgrade a player because we have to make 3 changes to the primary list.
    We could draft 2 players and upgrade or draft Smith and that would meet the requirements.

If we wanted Crameri though he needs to be delisted and then drafted.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

It's just business.
    Roarke can not be elevated, sure, but we still need Stews former spot to fit in Schache. We can pick him with 82 and then cut Roarke, we can rookie draft him if we wanted. But we will have to delist him and then 17 clubs need to overlook him for free and then 81 picks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Well yes and no. We have to draft or upgrade a player because we have to make 3 changes to the primary list.
    We could draft 2 players and upgrade Smith and that would meet the requirements.

If we wanted Crameri though he needs to be delisted and then drafted.

Ah yes I wondering who would spot my mistake.

So we would have to delist and draft him with our last pick. I was thinking maybe we could do that with Smith on the basis Smoth is less likely to be drafted by another club. Oh well it was a good idea except that it wouldn't have worked.

Could we apply to the AFL for a special contingency for Stew on the basis that he hasn't played for two years?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If contracts were not part of the equation, I would be delisting Cloke, Campbell or Redpath before Crameri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    If contracts were not part of the equation, I would be delisting Cloke, Campbell or Redpath before Crameri.
    If Crameri is switched on I would agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    We could ask the AFEL for special consideration to place him on the rookie list directly. They granted that to Ramanaskus/Essendon, and I think they offered that to Roughead/Hawthon who knocked it back. So if we want him, we can place an argument before the AFEL about Essendons drug program and how he was a victim of it which has led to two years out, injuries, surgeries, chance of playing in a premiership etc. And it's just 2 or 3 seasons. And brining up Stew's story and Essendon saga is bad for the AFEL brand, but them allowing Stew/us the special consideration request makes them look compassionate with good PR.

This is the only direct way. If the club doesn't want to go into bat for him and propose this special consideration, then to me it signals the club doesn't want him, even as a rookie.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 21-10-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Thai Poh
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BT, Great suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

We could ask the AFEL for special consideration to place him on the rookie list directly. They granted that to Ramanaskus/Essendon, and I think they offered that to Roughead/Hawthon who knocked it back. So if we want him, we can place an argument before the AFEL about Essendons drug program and how he was a victim of it which has led to two years out, injuries, surgeries, chance of playing in a premiership etc. And it's just 2 or 3 seasons. And brining up Stew's story and Essendon saga is bad for the AFEL brand, but them allowing Stew/us the special consideration request makes them look compassionate with good PR.

This is the only direct way. If the club doesn't want to go into bat for him and propose this special consideration, then to me it signals the club doesn't want him, even as a rookie.
    I think we will see Honeychurch and Crameri snapped up as DFA's, which puts a downer on our trade period as we weren't able to get anything back for either of them
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I think we will see Honeychurch and Crameri snapped up as DFA's, which puts a downer on our trade period as we weren't able to get anything back for either of them
    The drop in player values from say 5 years ago, to last year to now hs been rapid drop. I wonder if teams will try to make sure they can pick up a DFA from here on out.