Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  9
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do, with Stew?

Stewart Crameri's best hope to get on an AFL list is the rookie draft

With the first delisted free agency period now closed, Crameri is clinging to the hope a club will take a punt on him at the rookie draft, with no club expected to take him in the final two delisted free agency periods.

Crameri played just two games in 2017 after missing the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership year due to suspension as a result of being at Essendon during the club's ill-fated supplements program in 2012.

Although he required hip surgery he believes he is in good shape to make a return to AFL football given he is just 29 and he played at least 16 games a season until the 2016 suspension.

Crameri began his career at the Bombers after they selected him in the 2010 rookie draft and he played 57 games with the club.
    He then crossed from Essendon to the Western Bulldogs to play under then Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney in 2014.

He had kicked at least 30 goals a season in each year between 2011-2015 before being suspended as a tall, quick, left-footed forward.

McCartney is now at Melbourne alongside senior coach Simon Goodwin, who was also coaching at Essendon when Crameri played with the Bombers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stewart Crameri's best hope to get on an AFL list is the rookie draft

With the first delisted free agency period now closed, Crameri is clinging to the hope a club will take a punt on him at the rookie draft, with no club expected to take him in the final two delisted free agency periods.

Crameri played just two games in 2017 after missing the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership year due to suspension as a result of being at Essendon during the club's ill-fated supplements program in 2012.

Although he required hip surgery he believes he is in good shape to make a return to AFL football given he is just 29 and he played at least 16 games a season until the 2016 suspension.

Crameri began his career at the Bombers after they selected him in the 2010 rookie draft and he played 57 games with the club.
    He then crossed from Essendon to the Western Bulldogs to play under then Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney in 2014.

He had kicked at least 30 goals a season in each year between 2011-2015 before being suspended as a tall, quick, left-footed forward.

McCartney is now at Melbourne alongside senior coach Simon Goodwin, who was also coaching at Essendon when Crameri played with the Bombers.
    I was holding out hope that maybe we had offered a rookie spot and he was going to test the DFA waters first. I am little staggered that we wouldn’t see him worthy of a rookie spot, especially when he has been bullish about his body being ready to go.

Do we know something about his body?
    Is there something more to it? Behavioural? Caught up with the antics of he who should not be named?

I guess we will never know, but it will be pretty disappointing if he is to get a rookie spot, get upgraded at some point and carve it up (if our only concern was whether he could get back to the level required).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I was holding out hope that maybe we had offered a rookie spot and he was going to test the DFA waters first. I am little staggered that we wouldn’t see him worthy of a rookie spot, especially when he has been bullish about his body being ready to go.

Is there something more to it? Behavioural? Caught up with the antics of he who should not be named?

I guess we will never know, but it will be pretty disappointing if he is to get a rookie spot, get upgraded at some point and carve it up (if our only concern was whether he could get back to the level required).
    Rumour only: Enough said

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Voldemort ?
    WOOF Member 422

6. Likes The Adelaide Connection, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were supposed to be pretty good mates if I recall correctly. Lucius Malfoy to You-Know-Who perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. We have heard it has been rumoured.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Indeed. We have heard it has been rumoured.
    Oh really? I must have missed that. Our seemingly blizzardlike cooling on him would make more sense if true.
    If true, it would also provide an excellent case study in what happens when a players agent doesn't go mouthing off and allows an amicable parting of ways on the back of an issue. It might just mean he is able to scrap out a rookie spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Cramers likes a beer, which is well known in AFL circles, and isn't the type of player that fully commits. i.e. Turns up, does the 9-5 but apparently didn't have enough of the hunger Bevo that wants from his players. Was told this in his exit interview and all ended amicably. Won't return to the doggies but is in good shape physically and will be a good pickup for someone you'd think.

11. Thanks bornadog, soupman, boydogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pedge View Post
    Cramers likes a beer, which is well known in AFL circles, and isn't the type of player that fully commits. i.e. Turns up, does the 9-5 but apparently didn't have enough of the hunger Bevo that wants from his players. Was told this in his exit interview and all ended amicably. Won't return to the doggies but is in good shape physically and will be a good pickup for someone you'd think.
    Makes me wonder why we'd chase him so hard in this profile. Unless BMac has different standards to Bevo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Makes me wonder why we'd chase him so hard in this profile. Unless BMac has different standards to Bevo.
    And we chased him quite hard. Sold him on a future with us payed him big bucks he played two years of good solid football for us and then the drug ban, the hip (?) problems but basically no output at all and then out the door.

I guess at the time it was important to get a goal kicker on the list.

Did Bmac and Stewie's time at Essendon intersect?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And we chased him quite hard. Sold him on a future with us payed him big bucks he played two years of good solid football for us and then the drug ban, the hip (?) problems but basically no output at all and then out the door.

I guess at the time it was important to get a goal kicker on the list.

Did Bmac and Stewie's time at Essendon intersect?
    Absolutely
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Geelong looking at a rookie spot for Stew

Post Thanks / Like

It says a lot that Crameri is struggling to even get onto a rookie list.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That year out was a disaster for us. But one wonders what went on with him. The hip? Bad luck or bad prep?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty glad that he's gone and we're off of his contract. An extremely undisciplined player.

Also thought it was funny that his hip injury was touted as an excuse for his lack of fitness and his conditioning at the start of the year, but when he needs to find a list spot then his hip injury is no issue at all.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -