Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  75
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other clubs trade activity

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Weller is a good young talent but surely he's far and away from what you could label elite, which is what you have a chance at finding with Pick 2.
    You could also pick a bust. They have a proven, ready, young and good player

Post Thanks / Like

Just ask Brisbane spending pick 2 on Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    There's no getting around the fact that he had a very solid trade period.

To gain Stringer, Smith, Saad and GWS' 2018 2nd rounder for the loss of 11, 30 and next years 2nd + 3rd rounders - that's an outstanding result.

Three quality players for the net loss of a first round, second round and third round. It's the stuff dreams are made of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I don't disagree per se, but I'm merely pointing out that there are ? over two of the players they gained.
    I think we have to give it a bit of time before we decide who had the best trade period. Essendon are going to have to play one of those guys in the twos each week while their midfield will still get knocked around every week because no one is over 5 foot. Schache might win the Coleman.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You could also pick a bust. They have a proven, ready, young and good player
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think we have to give it a bit of time before we decide who had the best trade period. Essendon are going to have to play one of those guys in the twos each week while their midfield will still get knocked around every week because no one is over 5 foot. Schache might win the Coleman.
    They traded a bunch of draft picks for three quality footballers - questionable characters and a few minor question marks over bodies, but talented footballers. Their list make up can also be questioned, but they've brought talent in for minimal loss. That can't be denied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    For all the lauding of Dodoro as a genius, let's look at what they got.

Saad - solid player, paid a fair price. Good.

Smith - IIRC has had a bad run with leg injuries, over paid, questionable, depending on how many games he plays.

Stringer (2017 model), paid cheaply. Looked shellshocked when all this came about, I doubt if he it had a clue why we might want him gone and why. A good contract and initial Bomber fan adoration now may validate in his mind how "the Doggies did him wrong".

Let's hope so, and that that club gets a good taste of what we put up with for the past 2 years.

Definitely a questionable trade IMO.
    Not sure about Saad but the other 2 players were dropped during the 2017 season too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    They traded a bunch of draft picks for three quality footballers - questionable characters and a few minor question marks over bodies, but talented footballers. Their list make up can also be questioned, but they've brought talent in for minimal loss. That can't be denied.
    No doubt and I always say that you can't have enough players who can actually play the game on your list. There's certainly plenty who can't play the game that find there way onto AFL lists and AFL games,
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Dodoro's biggest achievement was getting players to nominate Essendon as their one and only destination. It's much harder to negotiate a strong deal when you've only got one buyer (as we found out).

How he did this, who knows?

Maybe he tells a dazzling story and sold them on being part of taking Essendon back to the top.

Or maybe he offered them juicy over-market value contracts.

If it's the former, kudos. If it's the latter, not as good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dodoro would make a great politician with his spin doctoring.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe North Melb or Collingwoods efforts , neither make sense at all.
    To do nothing with what their lists put out last year is incredible , and leaving it to draft picks means you are rebuilding, I'm not sure pie fans wouldn't be happy.
    And North? Keeping old players no trades baffles me completely.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

What was the deal that got Charlie Cameron to the Lions?

Losing Lever and Cameron in one trade period is pretty disastrous for Adelaide and bringing Gibbs in doesn't cover the losses. They've shown they can overcome big name players leaving but on paper, they're weaker next year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    To do nothing with what their lists put out last year is incredible , and leaving it to draft picks means you are rebuilding, I'm not sure pie fans wouldn't be happy.
    The Collingwood process is baffling, giving up a 2nd rounder for a 0 game rookie and not fixing up any of the holes in the list.

North tried hard to lure talent to the club but they're on the nose big time, with few kids to hang their future on and an ageing fan base that barely turns up. Not much to get excited about for players considering a move to Arden St.

Post Thanks / Like

Dodoro would make a great politician with his spin doctoring.
    He has his president, Lindsay Tanner, to swap notes with..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm backing the pies for another drop and Nth for the spoon.
    Poor old Higgins was with us through the bad times and will see bad times with another :-).
    Hrovat will get plenty of games that's for sure.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What was the deal that got Charlie Cameron to the Lions?
    Pick 12 outright. Fair return

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_AFL_draft
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Supporters of both clubs must be worried. In Collingwood's case, I figure they have spent up big on the likes of Treloar, Adams and De Goey in recent years (not to mention Greenwood, Howe, Aish, White, Dunn, WHE, Varcoe, Crisp) and don't have the salary cap and/or will to risk a draft pick on average talent.

North look even more troubled, they cleared the decks somewhat, delisting competent players with a little left in the tank (Gibson, Mullett, Hansen) and made big plays for the likes of Dusty Martin and Josh Kelly through the year, so are cashed up but seemingly unable to attract anyone to them (kinda makes sense really).