Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Buddy Franklin Trade 4 Years On

So Buddy went to Sydney on a $10,000,000 and 9 years. It's now four years on and roughly half way through, I wonder what the parameters are on whether its been successful. That is:

- Is the marketing for club, and presumably influence in members and sponsors signing worth it financially alone?
    - Is it kicking goals? He's done that.
    - Is it winning H&A games? He's 64/25.
    - Is it winning finals? Of his 9 finals, he's lost 4 including losing two grand finals. Winning no Premierships.

He's got 5 more seasons, on their books at least, and with an aging side around him including his body still bettering the rigours of AFL. They've lost some good players as a result of making two huge offers to Buddy & Tippett. Money from extra memberships or sponsorships is great, but to me a contract like this needs a premiership or two. There's pros and cons as to whether the contract has been a success, but I think if they can't get a premiership in the next two years (Buddy's probable last few good years, he's 31 in January) then from a footy perspective it's a back fire.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-09-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Thai Poh
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Buddy Franklin Trade 4 Years On

Great topic Trag. I'd say Buddy's kept his end of the bargain , but it's cost Sydney vital players like Tom Mitchell and Depth .
    The marketing component has been a raging success, but although Sydney won't say it they would have wanted a flag or two .
    Sydney are still heavily reliant on Kennedy for mine, and with a few top Enders out they struggle

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't get a flag to show for their 10 000 000 it's a bust. All the marketing, membership, h & a wins are nice but don't really count in the end. It's premierships that count.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Financially they have got their money back, winning a flag or two would make it a success all round, but a club in Sydney that struggled to survive without the AFL throwing in cash, the AFL and the Sydney football club would say it's been a success as it has bought members,money and stability to the club.

Buddy has fulfilled his side of the bargain as well, good football and has been a huge part of getting them to grand finals.
    But a flag with buddy would tick all the boxes ,that's the only box left.
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the move has been a success, a flag or 2 would've made it a raging success.

He's still one of the best players in the game - if you can get the best players in the game to come to your club, you do and you will have to pony up some serious money to do it.

The Tippett deal, and to a lesser extent the huge 5-year deal Sam Reid signed way back when, would be the regrets.

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't win a flag within the next three years with him then they are unlikely to win one at the back end of his contract as their top liners we all be aged by then. So the bottom line for mine is a fail.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy has been worth it but Tippett has been a disaster. Losing players due to the cap squeeze would have been greatly minimised without Tippett clogging up so much space for so little return.

The best player in the comp (which Buddy is) should be paid what he is getting.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes MrMahatma, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buddy has been a great pick up. Favourite non bulldog player to watch for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Buddy has been worth it but Tippett has been a disaster. Losing players due to the cap squeeze would have been greatly minimised without Tippett clogging up so much space for so little return.

They got Tippet first and then Buddy was available the following year, so they went for Buddy. If it was the other way around, they wouldn't have got Tippet. What a disappointment Tippet has become.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Agree 100%. Buddy has been worth it. Any loss of other players should be pointed at Tippet. That's one of the worst deals a team has ever done...

That said, they've made the GF twice post Bud. So the list can't be all bad, can it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Buddy has been a great pick up. Favourite non bulldog player to watch for me.
    Absolutely. Has been a huge success up there and worth every cent. Amazing footballer to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Now, it’s 8 Completed Seasons of 9 Years on $10,000,000.

From a marketing perspective. It’s a clearly a great result. But five metrics I’m looking at:

1. Home & Away Success
    2. Goals & Behinds
    3. Finals Week 1-3 Success
    4. Premiership Success
    5. Player Retention Within The Salary Cap Pressure of $10,000,000

1. Home & Away Success

136 played

91 win
    45 losses

Success for Sydney

2. Goals & Behinds

415 Goals (circa 3 per game)
    289 Behinds (circa 2 per game)

Success for Sydney

3. Finals - Weeks 1-3

Played 9

5 Finals Won
    4 Final Lost

Not great.

4. Grand Finals Played

Played 2

2 Grand Finals Lost
    0 Grand Finals Won

Horrible.

5. Player Retention Within The Salary Cap

Players Not Retained or Unable To Be Retained:

Shane Mumford
    Andreajs Everitt (who looked good up there)
    Jed Lamb
    Nick Malceski
    Shane Biggs
    Craig Bird
    Lewis Jetta (Callum Sinclair)
    Tom Mitchell
    Toby Nankervis
    Gary Rohan
    Dan Hannerbery
    Nic Newman
    Darcy Cameron
    Zak Jones
    Aliir Aliir

A lot of good players no longer there.

Not clear cut. Great for marketing, great return in the Home & Away. But that money and years is a big game player, which Buddy is. But an average Week 1-3 Finals Record counts against it. 2 Grand Losses from 2 Grand Finals is really counting against it. The list of players that they’ve let go with money a factor in a lot of them also counts against it.

I guess it’s a matter of perspective about this acquisition. I think the test is ultimately winning a premiership for $10,000,000 over 9 Years. Whilst he has time before retiring (he’s 34 now), I don’t think the acquisition on these terms is a great one. Some good benefits no doubt. But would they do it again with the power of hindsight?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes Dry Rot, macca, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good analysis, but I beg to slightly differ.

What really ****ed the Swans up and made so many players leave was the similarly big in dollar terms (not longevity) of the Tippett trade/recruitment/salary.

Bandy, Bartlett and Hunter were all better players that that oxygen thief.

Glad Grundy went for him after the 2016 GF loss.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Really good analysis, but I beg to slightly differ.

What really ****ed the Swans up and made so many players leave was the similarly big in dollar terms (not longevity) of the Tippett trade/recruitment/salary.

Bandy, Bartlett and Hunter were all better players that that oxygen thief.

Glad Grundy went for him after the 2016 GF loss.
    That’s another thread including the salary cap cheating. But put circa 22-25% of the cap into two guys and you’d want to winning when it matters. They ‘won’ both of these acquisitions, but spread that out across a lot of good players actually wins teams things. I get with Capper, Plugger, Hall they have a history of these sorts of trades. But it makes for an interesting debate about list management about going out to ‘win’ acquisitions or spreading that cap around to keep role players and/or have more cap to retain players.

Either way, from memory there’s $1,500,000 or more owed next year (15% TPP for a 35yo). Parker wants more cash. Clubs will offer their young talent more cash. The sting might be in the tail from this might be this list management period coming up. For their sake, I hope it doesn’t undue the great drafting job they’ve been doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy was a little pissed off with Clarkson and the constant demand he sign a new contract. Buddy was on holiday in Vegas and hadn't signed up at that stage, and Clarkson flew over demanded Buddy sign it. He knew then that was it. Rung his manager and said get me out of here.
    Last edited by bornadog; 29-08-2021 at 12:02 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.