Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Buddy Franklin Trade 4 Years On

Great analysis BT. Here is brief observations:
    Summary :

8 good players leaving, thats almost half of team on the park! The other argument is would they have found so many young kids in the draft? I guess further analysis may be needed with the draft picks.

7 fringe players leaving: this is good trading or list management

Good players left:
    Shane Mumford: whether you like him or hate him, his a good ruckman. Called out of retirement twice and his just keeps on serving.
    Played in 2019 GF, and now playing in Semi-Final in 2021.

Nick Malceski: could he have played on another year ?

Shane Biggs: 2016 premiership , brillian pickup for the doggies

Lewis Jetta (Callum Sinclair): 2018 GF, important year . Lost for sydney

Tom Mitchell : brownlow medalist , Lost for Sydney, deserves to be on good coin at Hawks

Toby Nankervis : Gun ruckman, Why they hell we did not pick him up in 2016??? (rhetorical question)
    3 time premiership ruckman 2017,2019,2020. Was he perceived to be behind Sinclair???

Gary Rohan: flat track bully, I want to put him in the expendable bucket but his type of player who will kick a bag in burst of 5 mins

Aliir Aliir: gun , shake my head how we did not know he was available.

Players on decline or expendable:
    Craig Bird: could not get enough games with essendon. I always thought he was relatively clean user with the ball, but did not seem to click at Essendon.

Zak Jones;: a few Injuries, on the decline
    Dan Hannerbery: his knee injury in 2016 GF has not really recovered
    Nic Newman: fringe player for carlton in 2021, in a crap team, heading towards being delisted.
    Darcy Cameron: can't get enough games at struggling pies. Behind Grundy. Threatening to be a great Eker.
    Andreajs Everitt (who looked good up there): got worst at carlton, could have been anything if he applied himself.
    Jed Lamb: went to GWS then Carlton where he played 44 games and got delisted in 2018, in a crap team.

Overall, I think after the losing the second GF and losing players , I think thats where the Buddy deal has really hurt them. Once Buddy retires, their forward line will need to find more power forwards to replace him. Also losing the Sydney living away from rest of Australia allowance has not helped.

They lost by 1 point tonight against GWS and they threaten to overun them in the last 2 mins of 2021 First week of final. So Sydney are not that far off at the moment, and their list looks pretty healthy.

I still never understood that Tippett deal, it was massive money to pay for someone who was a temporary ruckman and just really tall and an ok mark. He did get them into a few GF, and allowed Goodes to be that roaming mobile forward who could play anywhere. Tippet deal really requires further analysis on his stats.
    Last edited by macca; 29-08-2021 at 05:13 AM.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d say it’s a success. Plenty of finals and 2 GFs over 8 years. You take that.

If the players they’ve lost, Aliir looks like the main one they will regret. Tom Mitchell too on paper, but he was surplus and despite having individual success hasn’t been a difference maker for an AFL side.

Have turned their list over well and probably would’ve won if the game went for another minute yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge success.

He's the most marketable player the AFL has seen for ages, has justified his superstar status throughout his time at Sydney and the side has been genuinely great with him in it.

They have lost barely anybody they would've wanted to keep, and I'm not convinced many of those guys were forced out due to Buddy. Maybe Mitchell, and maybe Mumford, but the rest are all normal attrition imo.

With Buddy they have made two Grand Finals, which is a success, as I consider them 5050 shots. Their other finals series have been a bit underwhelming but I don't put that down to Buddy and not sure they are better without him and with Mitchell and somebody else.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, ultimately a success given they’ve been contenders throughout his tenure. Him rolling his ankle early in the 2016 GF might be one of the great twists of fate.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a success, close to it being a masterstroke if they got another flag.

The fact they won 2 flags in recent memory prior to him coming softens the blow of not winning one with him.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Huge success.

He's the most marketable player the AFL has seen for ages, has justified his superstar status throughout his time at Sydney and the side has been genuinely great with him in it.

They have lost barely anybody they would've wanted to keep, and I'm not convinced many of those guys were forced out due to Buddy. Maybe Mitchell, and maybe Mumford, but the rest are all normal attrition imo.

With Buddy they have made two Grand Finals, which is a success, as I consider them 5050 shots. Their other finals series have been a bit underwhelming but I don't put that down to Buddy and not sure they are better without him and with Mitchell and somebody else.
    Good summary.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was reckless at the time but it's been an outstanding success
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Huge success.

Agree with every word of this.

Also responsible for the greatest grand Final moment ever.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes bornadog, jeemak, Twodogs, azabob, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Agree with every word of this.

Also responsible for the greatest grand Final moment ever.
    We were sitting at the end he was heading towards and I remember thinking "oh no, here we go" but then all of a sudden the ball is bouncing through for a goal for us at the other end.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge success.

Good post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Buddy was a little pissed off with Clarkson and the constant demand he sign a new contract. Buddy was on holiday in Vegas and hadn't signed up at that stage, and Clarkson flew over demanded Buddy sign it. He knew then that was it. Rung his manager and said get me out of here.
    Wow. That's a bit like weird stalker behaviour

Post Thanks / Like

Did they lose Aliir due to money or because they didnt really want him / use him?

Post Thanks / Like

Aliir walked, don’t think they tried terribly hard to keep him either.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Did they lose Aliir due to money or because they didnt really want him / use him?
    He was in and out of the team a fair bit from 2017-2020 with injury wasn't he?

I really wanted us to make a play for him in the 2017 post season as a replacement for Hamling.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading that the cause of the huge salary cap problem at the Swans is due to the back ended structure to the Buddy deal. $1.5M this after several big years and still a million or so next year. Signing up Parker who was wanting $700,000 means that they’re going to lose players to accommodate the back ended Buddy deal.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023