Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  106
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Marcus Bontempelli Appreciation thread

So with everything that's happened around another individual that shall not be named I've been thinking a bit about just how lucky we are with Marcus. A year younger than the other one, ambassador for The Line of his own initiative, jumped ahead of more mature players in the leadership group order to the point that it's tempting to make him captain, an incredible consistent and influential player and he seems to do a very good job of handling the pressure and the fame side of the game.

He basically ticks all the boxes of what you want an AFL player to be. Does he have any faults? Is he perfect?

Let's take some time this Grand Final day to appreciate our Marcus Picken Bontempelli

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Marcus Bontempelli Appreciation thread

Good post Hjush. When feeling down just think of the Bont. A star on and off the field. We are very lucky to have the Bont. Thank you Simon Dal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So with everything that's happened around another individual that shall not be named I've been thinking a bit about just how lucky we are with Marcus. A year younger than the other one, ambassador for The Line of his own initiative, jumped ahead of more mature players in the leadership group order to the point that it's tempting to make him captain, an incredible consistent and influential player and he seems to do a very good job of handling the pressure and the fame side of the game.

He basically ticks all the boxes of what you want an AFL player to be. Does he have any faults? Is he perfect?

Let's take some time this Grand Final day to appreciate our Marcus Picken Bontempelli
    In answering your two questions, no and yes in that order.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He's already the best I have seen wear our jumper. I can't think of any who were as good as Marcus is at his age though. He will be one of the best mids ever and with his strength overhead and ground skills he will be close to the most dangerous forward in the competition when he goes forward.

I am 100% confident that when he retires he will be considered the greatest player of all time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He's already the best I have seen wear our jumper. I can't think of any who were as good as Marcus is at his age though.

I am 100% confident that when he retires he will be considered the greatest player of all time.
    You never saw C Grant K Templeton and the hawk at his age ?
    Big call
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Just needs to be more accurate on Set-Shots. The same weakness at present to Turtle but I am being picky!

Post Thanks / Like

All hail The Bont! Just a fabulous role model as well as a magnificent player.

I think our club has been blessed in recent times with people of outstanding character. Bob, Easton, Boyd, Cross, Jonno and Grant have always made us proud off the field as well as on.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    You never saw C Grant K Templeton and the hawk at his age ?
    Big call

I saw all their careers from start to finish, other than missing KT's first few games. I was standing alongside the goal umpire as he signalled the goal Chris Grant kicked with his first kick in AFL footy. Bont's milestones and stats to this stage of his career are eerily similiar to EJ's.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw all their careers from start to finish, other than missing KT's first few games. I was standing alongside the goal umpire as he signalled the goal Chris Grant kicked with his first kick in AFL footy. Bont's milestones and stats to this stage of his career are eerily similiar to EJ's.
    I still think Chris was better in his first few years, remember he was younger and kicked over 50 goals in his first season, skinny and just all class , nothing against Bont he is amazing but Chris was doing it at a younger age.
    Also had the big hard (punch you in the head) full backs on him in that era. Playing as a full forward unbelievable.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Great player and person Marcus is. Been a tough 2017 for him but still so important every game and polled well in the Brownlow our highest with 13 votes. Got his signature on my footy at the family day at Whitten Oval in February.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise. With all the Stringer crap it’s the players with their heads down doing the right thing that are often not acknowledged. Marcus is one of those, in addition to being an outstanding young man, player & leader.
    Last edited by cinder; 30-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.

13. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I still think Chris was better in his first few years, remember he was younger and kicked over 50 goals in his first season, skinny and just all class , nothing against Bont he is amazing but Chris was doing it at a younger age.
    Also had the big hard (punch you in the head) full backs on him in that era. Playing as a full forward unbelievable.
    Yeah true. A 50 goal season as a 17 yo is pretty good but Chris had Glen Coleman standing next to him looking for an excuse to punch someone back. Bont does it all by himself mostly.

Post Thanks / Like

God I love the Bont. I wish we had two of him.

16. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

God I love the Bont. I wish we had two of him.
    I wish he could kick straight
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I wish he could kick straight
    He can. Last year was an aberration. Before then he frequently nailed clutch goals.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic