Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  106
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Marcus Bontempelli Appreciation thread

Barrett is on board:

IF ...
    all the great midfielders are lined up on the wall and I've got one pick ...

THEN ...
    I'm still taking Bont. As I would have for every season since 2015. He's still the best. There was no way he was walking off Marvel Stadium on Thursday night without the W.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking this morning and wondering if at some stage we should move The Bont behind the ball.
    Before you come back with you don't move your best centre clearance player out of the middle here's my reasoning.
    Marcus who is constantly being locked down by the opposition I think is starting to take a toll on his body.
    As with previous seasons he looks great until he get a injury look at the hip and this year I think the knee is now a problem.
    My thought process is this, to give Marcus a bit more longevity in the game may be half back wouldn't be so bad and we can exploit his skill from there and let him be the tackler instead of him being tackled.
    Utilize his fantastic skills and vision to set us up. Think of some of his raking left foot passes into the forward line only coming off half back to set us up.
    He's a smart footballer with good vision and he may have more time to use those skills. I'm not saying do it now but in the near future we will need to find a replacement in the middle so another good reason to draft a skilled mid for the future.
    I think Marcus has been carrying limiting niggles for the last 3 or 4 seasons and since that tackle 3 weeks ago he hasn't been the same.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

3. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... Boyd did it. In a more high profile case Hodge did it. It's a maybe for me.

Post Thanks / Like

We should be rotating him out of the middle. Maybe Macrae or Smith have more CBA .
    We are 1 big body mid short this season with Dunks out

His body is taking a battering in the middle , it is time the rest of the team share the workload

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    We should be rotating him out of the middle. Maybe Macrae or Smith have more CBA .
    We are 1 big body mid short this season with Dunks out

His body is taking a battering in the middle , it is time the rest of the team share the workload
    Bont is almost carrying the side at the moment. We want to win he needs to be in the action. If he isn’t fit then our chance diminish greatly.

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Bont is almost carrying the side at the moment. We want to win he needs to be in the action. If he isn’t fit then our chance diminish greatly.
    We are sounding like a Carlton now, beat Cripps beat carlton. Its only so long his body is going to withstand this. See Crisp's diminishing output this year.

Time to cut deep and starting find the players to rejuvenate the list in all positions.

Post Thanks / Like

We would be a bottom 4 side without Libba and Bont. That’s sad. Club has had years to address this. Elevating McComb is not the answer. I know we’ve been hamstrung by having draft picks gobbled up Marra and Darcy but that does not explain our stagnation.

I like the suggestion of moving Bont and giving his body a break. If it means we lose a few more games so be it.

11. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    We are sounding like a Carlton now, beat Cripps beat carlton. Its only so long his body is going to withstand this. See Crisp's diminishing output this year.

Time to cut deep and starting find the players to rejuvenate the list in all positions.
    Crisp? Jack Crisp? He's been pretty good this year Collingwood are sharing the load more though.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

100+ AFL Coaches Votes in a season (began 2006):

3x - MARCUS BONTEMPELLI (2019, 2021, 2023)
    2x - Gary Ablett Jnr, Patrick Dangerfield
    1x - 11 players

Last edited by bornadog; 31-08-2023 at 10:36 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

5 times AA

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely blessed the day he walked through the door. Once in a lifetime player.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Absolutely blessed the day he walked through the door. Once in a lifetime player.
    No arguments there, the added advantage is the way he conducts himself off field and the way he presents in front of the media.
    I don't think I've seen a more natural media performer than Bont when compared to all other Bulldog players unless you go back to Whitten.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    5 times AA

When we're married this will be the backdrop at the altar.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep. It would be a travesty if he ended up a 1 premiership player when he retires. We have absolute rolled gold we can build around for the next 5 years minimum, and we have to make it count.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes EasternWest, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aye, there's nothing this feller deserves more than team success, he's just scooping up individual accolades for fun these days.

The flawless way he leads us demands the club be nothing short of relentless in helping him achieve it while we enjoy the privilege of his company.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

23. Likes EasternWest, jeemak, Eastdog liked this post