Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Impey trade worth

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I reckon our defensive pressure in the forward line was deplorable this season and placed enormous pressure on our backline as a result. It's an area we need to improve - only need to look at the 2017 premiers to see how effective it can be in nullifying opposition strengths.
    The beauty of it is that they don't need to be stars either - Richmond's small forwards are average, with Rioli being the exception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I reckon our defensive pressure in the forward line was deplorable this season and placed enormous pressure on our backline as a result. It's an area we need to improve - only need to look at the 2017 premiers to see how effective it can be in nullifying opposition strengths.
    I think that is why we are interested in Crozier who does the same. Agree it's an area we need to improve on but I think Crozier is more likely to be headed our way.
    I don't mind Impey but we could also find the same type at the draft this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think that is why we are interested in Crozier who does the same. Agree it's an area we need to improve on but I think Crozier is more likely to be headed our way.
    I don't mind Impey but we could also find the same type at the draft this year.
    Nowadays it's all about playing your role, Biggs is great example of this, you don't need to be a star just play your role.
    I would go to say he got us that flag with his unbelievable tackling and never give up attitude in that one play.
    It lifted us and got us the goal that probably started the doubt in Sydney.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Both the boys above were out of contract, Impey still has year to go on a contract. He might be worth a bit more than our two just on that factor.
    Then we should go and draft someone rather than pay overs for a fringe player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He's gonna be a very good player he's got a lot of things going for him but he'll be extremely hard to pry loose. I don't think there's anything in the rumors at all.
    I agree. He was in Melbourne for the grand final sprint. Being close to Trengove he joined him for dinner with his new team mate Bontempelli. Someone saw them and took a quick snap and the rumours start. I've heard nothing else to suggest that he is even up for trade.

And as far as being a fast player in concerned, Suckling made it into the final of the grand final sprints and Impey didn't. Now that's concerning
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Impey can run a 10.20sec 100 metres which is almost as fast as me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of footy, it is more important to be (repetitively) fast over 20m than 100m.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In terms of footy, it is more important to be (repetitively) fast over 20m than 100m.
    Sure, it's great to be pacy and have high constitution. Still, it's far easier to work on your fitness and repeat efforts than it is to gain an extra yard or two of pace. He gets to 20 metres faster than most.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Impey can run a 10.20sec 100 metres which is almost as fast as me.
    I lose interest in running after about 2.5 seconds,
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw an article about players at their peak speed and Impey was second in the league. Along with his defensive pressure, I see him as a moneyball signing as in a small forward pressure role.

Post Thanks / Like

While on paper we could use more pace, and scoring options, and forward pressure, recruiting a bloke because he's quick is a bit like recruiting a bloke because he's tall.

He's not terribly creative nor a particularly clean user and most of Impey's goals are out the back specials, which he'd have to work twice as hard for in our forward line. His tackle averages are also about half of Clay Smith's over the past 2 years, and we rag on Clay for lack of forward pressure.

Unsure if he has the ability to offer some run and carry further upfield, but unless he was chipping in with a couple of timely goals each week I also suspect he'd be one of those guys consistently on the selection bubble.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I lose interest in running after about 2.5 seconds,
    Yeah I get bored driving 100 metres

Post Thanks / Like

Impey did kick 15.14 this year. So he's not accurate goal kicking with Port. But with us that's impressive.

Also, it negates our R. Smith playing on a Jarman. Put them in the same team so I never have to think about it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    While on paper we could use more pace, and scoring options, and forward pressure, recruiting a bloke because he's quick is a bit like recruiting a bloke because he's tall.

He's not terribly creative nor a particularly clean user and most of Impey's goals are out the back specials, which he'd have to work twice as hard for in our forward line. His tackle averages are also about half of Clay Smith's over the past 2 years, and we rag on Clay for lack of forward pressure.

Unsure if he has the ability to offer some run and carry further upfield, but unless he was chipping in with a couple of timely goals each week I also suspect he'd be one of those guys consistently on the selection bubble.
    Your under-rating him IMO. He's young, an a bustling big-bodied Indigenous player. I don't like him cause he's Indigenous but I have watched him closely because of it. He's a bit of a wrecking ball, runs hard in straight lines, breaks tackles because he has good core strength and works hard. He's certainly not just quick he's a young bull who works hard and has footy nous. We need him he'll be shit hot after 100 games, provided you can accept his disposal inefficiency.

Our biggest asset in the Impey trade is Trengove. Impey is the better footballer but Trengove the more mature person and Impey knows it. Impey needs Trengove in his life and we have Trengove. Aside form all the photos and news articles, the only reason I think we have a chance with Impey is because we appear to have Trengove. Impey's old man passed a while back and he hangs with Trengove constantly. It's potentially a two for one deal and I don't mind the acquisition of Impey at all.

17. Likes Raw Toast, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your under-rating him IMO. He's young, an a bustling big-bodied Indigenous player. I don't like him cause he's Indigenous but I have watched him closely because of it. He's a bit of a wrecking ball, runs hard in straight lines, breaks tackles because he has good core strength and works hard. He's certainly not just quick he's a young bull who works hard and has footy nous. We need him he'll be shit hot after 100 games, provided you can accept his disposal inefficiency.

Our biggest asset in the Impey trade is Trengove. Impey is the better footballer but Trengove the more mature person and Impey knows it. Impey needs Trengove in his life and we have Trengove. Aside form all the photos and news articles, the only reason I think we have a chance with Impey is because we appear to have Trengove. Impey's old man passed a while back and he hangs with Trengove constantly. It's potentially a two for one deal and I don't mind the acquisition of Impey at all.
    You actually mean "the fact he's indigineous isn't the only reason I like him" rather than "I don't like him cause he's indigineous" don't you?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite