Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Best Defensive 6 in 2018

Trengove is officially a dog, JMac says mainly a KPD. Add in Cordy, Wood, Morris, Roberts, Collins, Adams & Young as talls.

Flankers in a Suckling, JJ, Biggs, Williams, Webb, R. Smith (maybe),

B: Cordy Trengove Morris
    HB: JJ Wood Biggs

Adams & Young nearly all played as key forwards before coming to the dogs. That might add some competition to Boyd, Cloke & Redders.

Move Suckling further up the ground,
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Best Defensive 6 in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Trengove is officially a dog, JMac says mainly a KPD. Add in Cordy, Wood, Morris, Roberts, Collins, Adams & Young as talls.

Flankers in a Suckling, JJ, Biggs, Williams, Webb, R. Smith (maybe),

B: Cordy Trengove Morris
    HB: JJ Wood Biggs

Adams & Young nearly all played as key forwards before coming to the dogs. That might add some competition to Boyd, Cloke & Redders.

Move Suckling further up the ground,
    I've got Cordy as the CHF and as hard as it is to say Morris isn't in the best 22 right at this moment.

Biggs - Adams - Wood
    Suckling - Trengove - Williams

I'm tempted to move Wallis to a HBF
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've got Cordy as the CHF and as hard as it is to say Morris isn't in the best 22 right at this moment.

Biggs - Adams - Wood

How dare you, sir!

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    How dare you, sir!
    He will win me over once he he proves he is fit enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Biggs - Adams - Wood

Mitch taking Matt Boyd’s role is something I’ve been thinking about for a while too. Having Zaine as the tall defensive forward has worked before and would work again.

My back six:

Wallis - Trengove - Morris
    Wood - Adams - Johannisen

Rotating in Suckling, Biggs, Impey, Williams and Cordy/Roughead where needed
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adams is our best key defender, and there's no way Morris doesn't play. I guess we have to pick Trengove too, meaning that Cordy might miss to start the year, or go back to CHF.

Biggs - Adams - Morris
    Wood - Trengove - Johannisen

Suckling and Williams will both rotate through the back flank. I expect JJ to play some wing and some forward depending on what the game calls for. Wallis on the HBF is a neat enough idea (that I suggested like 4 years ago but whatever), but honestly on the strength of his last season he probably starts at Footscray.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

How far is Roberts back in the queue now? You can make a case that Collins has a lot more talent to develop into. But Roberts appears to be an understudy for Trengove and maybe Collins again. Two years as an understudy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wood, Cordy, Morris
    Biggs, Trengrove, Williams

Suckling, JJ to rotate through defence and Adams to be tried forward.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

How far is Roberts back in the queue now? You can make a case that Collins has a lot more talent to develop into. But Roberts appears to be an understudy for Trengove and maybe Collins again. Two years as an understudy.
    It's been a disappointing season for Fletch. Hasn't really come on from last year. It was interesting that after the first third of the season he was ranked in the top 5 for the B&F. Coaching group obviously thought he was doing a job early in the year.

#SuttonMedal Leaderboard Round 1-8
    1. J. Johannisen 91
    2. E. Wood 84
    3. M. Bontempelli 81
    4. J. Macrae 59
    5. F. Roberts 54

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Wooster View Post
    It's been a disappointing season for Fletch. Hasn't really come on from last year. It was interesting that after the first third of the season he was ranked in the top 5 for the B&F. Coaching group obviously thought he was doing a job early in the year.

#SuttonMedal Leaderboard Round 1-8
    1. J. Johannisen 91
    2. E. Wood 84
    3. M. Bontempelli 81
    4. J. Macrae 59
    5. F. Roberts 54
    I still think he is a good player to have on the list. He shouldn't be far away from senior selection and he might even get a run up forward

Post Thanks / Like

Move Suckling further up the ground
    Yes please. Let's use his assets at their most damaging for the team - wing for mine.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

We are a bit big in some of these. With Morris, Woods and Biggs all playing tall we don't need both key backs against some opposition. It would be nice to have another running option outside JJ.

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't leave Morris out, but understand he may not be a walk up start as the year progresses, subject to how his body continues to hold up and the development of others.

Morris, Cordy, Biggs
    Williams, Trengove, Wood

Is how I'd like to see us line up. I'd like Adams and Young to have some opportunity as forwards throughout the year, but they also give us some flexibility down back when required.

All of that defensive group can play tall and are capable in the air. Players like JJ, Suckling, Hunter etc would be required to work back and be key players in our transition despite not being named as defenders.

If anything, the recruitment of Trengove is likely to make it tougher for the less mobile Redpath and Cloke to nail spots up front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I can't leave Morris out, but understand he may not be a walk up start as the year progresses, subject to how his body continues to hold up and the development of others.

Morris, Cordy, Biggs
    Williams, Trengove, Wood

Is how I'd like to see us line up. I'd like Adams and Young to have some opportunity as forwards throughout the year, but they also give us some flexibility down back when required.

All of that defensive group can play tall and are capable in the air. Players like JJ, Suckling, Hunter etc would be required to work back and be key players in our transition despite not being named as defenders.

If anything, the recruitment of Trengove is likely to make it tougher for the less mobile Redpath and Cloke to nail spots up front.
    I couldn't sleep for a chunk last night and read through this thread. That was the thing that stuck out to me too. If Adams & Young prove more versatile and/or equally effective, then Redders would need to start the preseason in form and not lose it. Cloke offers a fair bit more in his work up the ground and pinch hitting in the ruck. But he too can't afford a form slump.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't sleep for a chunk last night and read through this thread. That was the thing that stuck out to me too. If Adams & Young prove more versatile and/or equally effective, then Redders would need to start the preseason in form and not lose it. Cloke offers a fair bit more in his work up the ground and pinch hitting in the ruck. But he too can't afford a form slump.
    Poor Redders misses the first match too.