Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Essendon set to trade pick No.11 as it attempts to secure Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad

ESSENDON on Monday conceded it had to sacrifice its No.11 draft pick to pull off the club’s stunning trade trifecta.

But that pick is no guarantee to land at the Western Bulldogs with the Jake Stringer deal still a long way off.

It is believed the Bombers have urged Stringer, 23, to boost his fitness levels over summer because they want to deploy him for large stints in the midfield next season.

But the 2015 All-Australian faces an anxious wait with trade talks set to continue into next week as the clubs debate his value.

Coach Luke Beveridge’s men on Monday told the Bombers they want pick 11 as a minimum return or they will keep Stringer to his contract next season.

Gold Coast could throw a spanner in the works by claiming pick 11 from the Dons in exchange for speedster Adam Saad and No.19.

Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd on Monday said the Dons could then on-trade the No.19 pick for Stringer.

But that proposal would be rejected by the Dogs, who are adamant on claiming an earlier selection for their three-time leading goalkicker and premiership star.

Bombers football boss Rob Kerr said the club had devised a strategy to secure Stringer, Saad and Devon Smith while keeping homesick South Australian Aaron Francis, who is contracted until 2019.

“(But) the reality is pick 11 probably has to be involved somewhere along the line,” Kerr said on Monday.

“We’ve had a chat to the Bulldogs, I think there’s a little bit of work to do there. But we’re keen to try and get a deal done over the course of the next 10 days, so we’ll keep at it.”

In a boost for the Dogs, on Monday Fremantle high-flyer Hayden Crozier nominated Whitten Oval as his preferred destination.

But the future of ruckman Tom Campbell is unclear. The hardened big man is exploring his options following the arrival of versatile tall and free agent Jackson Trengove.

The Dogs missed out on Port Adelaide speedster Jarman Impey, who is set to be traded to Hawthorn in exchange for a draft pick.

The Hawks’ first selection is No.32.

Kerr said his club held “really fruitful” discussions with Greater Western Sydney as they look to add goalkicker Smith.

Essendon could land the injury-hit forward with a second-round pick and holds No.28 in this year’s draft.

There was minimal interest in Francis from the Crows and Port Adelaide on Monday.

Kerr said the Bombers had done their homework on Stringer amid explosive allegations in the Herald Sun about his personal life.

“Obviously you do your due diligence and we’ve spoken to Jake a number of times,” he said.

“We’re confident Jake can be a very good player for Essendon and we believe our culture is a strong culture and the senior players have bought into it, so it would be a good move for Jake and for Essendon.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...5d3f0d2049b50c

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon set to trade pick No.11 as it attempts to secure Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad

If we were to lose Campbell then we do need another tall who can rotate through the ruck. Roughead can't go it alone and English needs at least another season. Trengove and Boyd are more just short term fill ins.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon set to trade pick No.11 as it attempts to secure Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we were to lose Campbell then we do need another tall who can rotate through the ruck. Roughead can't go it alone and English needs at least another season. Trengove and Boyd are more just short term fill ins.
    Need to rookie a mature ruck, seeing they can play from round 1. Griffin or Clarke could be some cover.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We won't except less than pick 11 then goes to say they are doing swaps that will end up with them offering 19.
    Contradicts itself badly.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Need to rookie a mature ruck, seeing they can play from round 1. Griffin or Clarke could be some cover.
    What's to say we don't use Jong ,we did last year and look at the Tigers this year.
    Do you need so many on your list nowadays?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Worth considering but I'd say it's unlikely though. I'd like to keep Campbell unless we had something coming back that assists in that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth considering but I'd say it's unlikely though. I'd like to keep Campbell unless we had something coming back that assists in that area.
    So Trengrove will be doing minimal rucking?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What's to say we don't use Jong ,we did last year and look at the Tigers this year.
    I'm more talking about injury insurance. I don't want Bonts rucking, no Dunks and coming off an ACL no to Jong either. If I was Campbell I would follow Honey and look for a fresh start else where. So a mature rookie for a year or two until English is ready, isn't too bad a solution in case Roughy gets another rare injury.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    So Trengrove will be doing minimal rucking?
    Trengove should be seen as adding to that depth not replacing a full time ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Roughead injured round 1. ACL, year over.

What's the plan now?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more talking about injury insurance. I don't want Bonts rucking, no Dunks and coming off an ACL no to Jong either. If I was Campbell I would follow Honey and look for a fresh start else where. So a mature rookie for a year or two until English is ready, isn't too bad a solution in case Roughy gets another rare injury.
    I tend to agree, sure the players you mentioned can take the odd throw in around the ground but we need to use the likes of Boyd and Trengove before planning on a Bontempelli taking the centre square contests.
    If Schache was to arrive, then you might have enough cover but that would still just leave us with one full time ruckman in Roughead who does struggle with injuries from time to time

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Roughead injured round 1. ACL, year over.

What's the plan now?
    This is why I was challenging our approach during the trade time 12 months ago. We should have replaced Minson with someone who could take a turn in the ruck and it didn't have to be a full time ruckman type.
    As it was we started the season with injuries to both Roughead and Campbell and Campbell rucked the start of the season under done.

I don't see a problem with having some insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I was challenging our approach during the trade time 12 months ago. We should have replaced Minson with someone who could take a turn in the ruck and it didn't have to be a full time ruckman type.
    As it was we started the season with injuries to both Roughead and Campbell and Campbell rucked the start of the season under done.

I don't see a problem with having some insurance.
    I believe at the time I was in agreement with you but came around to the clubs way of thinking over the Summer.

After this year it perplexes me that people are saying we have enough or too much depth in the ruck. We have at least one rookie spot available so I also see no harm getting a mature state player or Zac Clarke for example even as a break in case of emergency type.

Post Thanks / Like

Ex Demon Jake Spencer is available - I'd be looking at offering him a rookie contract.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

If Campbell could stay on the park we wouldn't be having this conversation. But we have to decide on whether we gamble on his durability. We did this year and got burned. Will it be any different next year?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite