Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  86
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Jason McCartney

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason McCartney

Thanks GVGjr, a very balanced view of where we're sitting.

We needed to be considerably smarter in the messaging we put out in the media - Bevo is accountable for those comments so hopefully a valuable lesson has been learned.

Whatever the outcome, hopefully 2-5 years down the track we look back at it as the right call and a defining moment.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A lot of people are frustrated with our efforts to shop Jake Stringer around and get a fair return for his services. This then seems to drop on the lap of Jason McCartney however, I'm not sure it should all fall on J-Mac.

The club had some issues, OK lets say a lot of issues, with Jake Stringer during 2017 and at the end of the season the club and coach decided to take a firm stance in an effort to address his behavior issues.
    Jake was shocked that the club was considering trading him and there appears to be a lot of confusion by Jake on the exact content of the discussions that took place. Paul Connors has since made it clear that in future he and his team will be more active in gaining clarity of these end of season reviews so things are clear for everyone.
    Unfortunately this then got played out in public and the media smelled a story and went hard at us in fact very hard at us and there were certainly a few Melbourne based clubs that were interested in acquiring the services of such a talented player. An interview by Luke Beveridge then did a lot of damaged to Jakes value in the market and clubs interest started to waiver. On top of that a damning interview with Stringers ex made everyone aware of some of the challenges the club and Jake faced.

Essendon were quick to pounce offering Jake a lucrative 3 year deal as the market cooled for his services.

McCartney and the committee that oversees trades rightly valued Jake as a top end pick originally considering him a top 10 type pick in quality but perhaps being prepared to accept something a bit less just to get the problem dealt with but also willing to maintain Stringer as a player if a good deal couldn't be arranged. Stringer, Connors and Essendon didn't see it that way and are insisting that we deal Stringer to any 'reasonable offer'. It's the definition of reasonable that no one can agree to.
    Essendon are never easy to deal with eventually came in with an offer of pick 11 providing we handed back pick 27 and McCartney and the committee didn't believe that was a fair return and rejected the offer.

Essendon dealt pick 11 in another deal and are now offering two draft picks in the 2nd round and this can be for this year or next or a combination of one in each year.

So we are now in a situation of either keeping Stringer and holding him to his contract, dealing with a less than fair deal with Essendon or perhaps orchestrating something with Geelong but that might be a long shot and difficult to arrange.

In Poker terms there is an expression that goes on along just playing the cards you are dealt and I'd have to say McCartney hasn't been given a decent hand considering how this as all played out in the media.

He is the list manager and I see why some are expecting him to work some magic but given there is also a committee during this process I don't agree that some of the frustration being directed solely to McCartney is justified.

Stringer and his manager need to stand up and be counted, Bevo needs to get on the phone and try and mend the relationship and as a club we need to work out if we really want him back or if we are prepared to accept a lesser deal.

Hopefully this won't go down to the wire and it gets sorted early next week.

I guess it comes down to if the players who have issues with him will forgive him and allow him back.
    It needs to be a whole team acceptance and Jake needs to show he is on the way back mentally and physically and fully committed.
    I still believe Jake would like to stay as he has never came out and mentioned a preferred club , it seems the bombers are the only ones interested anyway, his issues have scared a few off so it's not going to be easy.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I guess it comes down to if the players who have issues with him will forgive him and allow him back.
    It needs to be a whole team acceptance and Jake needs to show he is on the way back mentally and physically and fully committed.
    I still believe Jake would like to stay as he has never came out and mentioned a preferred club , it seems the bombers are the only ones interested anyway, his issues have scared a few off so it's not going to be easy.
    I remember Libba leaving the club after his exit review saying that something along the lines of the players getting their trust back. Whether this was directed at Stringer I am not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I remember Libba leaving the club after his exit review saying that something along the lines of the players getting their trust back. Whether this was directed at Stringer I am not sure.
    I think Mitch Wallis hit the nail On the head saying Jake had to be " fully committed " and believe he said that to him while playing golf.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone hear a mention by Brian Waldron connecting Ameet Baines to us?

Not sure what he said as I was distracted.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

I didn't hear Brian Waldron's segment today but I did hear a separate reference last night on radio suggesting that Ameet Bains was favoured to be our new CEO. I have no idea if it was just another shot in the dark comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Yeah i heard it. He just said Baines was favoured to win the role & that he was highly rated by the AFL or in the AFL, something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Yeah i heard it. He just said Baines was favoured to win the role & that he was highly rated by the AFL or in the AFL, something like that.
    Interesting - hes always been pretty well regarded - and when Ive previously heard him on radio I think he sounded good

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people are frustrated with our efforts to shop Jake Stringer around and get a fair return for his services. This then seems to drop on the lap of Jason McCartney however, I'm not sure it should all fall on J-Mac.

The club had some issues, OK lets say a lot of issues, with Jake Stringer during 2017 and at the end of the season the club and coach decided to take a firm stance in an effort to address his behavior issues.
    Jake was shocked that the club was considering trading him and there appears to be a lot of confusion by Jake on the exact content of the discussions that took place. Paul Connors has since made it clear that in future he and his team will be more active in gaining clarity of these end of season reviews so things are clear for everyone.
    Unfortunately this then got played out in public and the media smelled a story and went hard at us in fact very hard at us and there were certainly a few Melbourne based clubs that were interested in acquiring the services of such a talented player. An interview by Luke Beveridge then did a lot of damaged to Jakes value in the market and clubs interest started to waiver. On top of that a damning interview with Stringers ex made everyone aware of some of the challenges the club and Jake faced.

Essendon were quick to pounce offering Jake a lucrative 3 year deal as the market cooled for his services.

McCartney and the committee that oversees trades rightly valued Jake as a top end pick originally considering him a top 10 type pick in quality but perhaps being prepared to accept something a bit less just to get the problem dealt with but also willing to maintain Stringer as a player if a good deal couldn't be arranged. Stringer, Connors and Essendon didn't see it that way and are insisting that we deal Stringer to any 'reasonable offer'. It's the definition of reasonable that no one can agree to.
    Essendon are never easy to deal with eventually came in with an offer of pick 11 providing we handed back pick 27 and McCartney and the committee didn't believe that was a fair return and rejected the offer.

Essendon dealt pick 11 in another deal and are now offering two draft picks in the 2nd round and this can be for this year or next or a combination of one in each year.

So we are now in a situation of either keeping Stringer and holding him to his contract, dealing with a less than fair deal with Essendon or perhaps orchestrating something with Geelong but that might be a long shot and difficult to arrange.

In Poker terms there is an expression that goes on along the lines of just playing the cards you are dealt and I'd have to say McCartney hasn't been given a decent hand considering how this as all played out in the media. We probably bluffed a bit but then had to fold because we didn't have the required aces.

He is the list manager and I see why some are expecting him to work some magic but given there is also a committee during this process I don't agree that some of the frustration being directed solely at McCartney is justified.

Stringer and his manager need to stand up and be counted, Bevo needs to get on the phone and try and mend the relationship and as a club we need to work out if we really want him back or if we are prepared to accept a lesser deal.

Hopefully this won't go down to the wire and it gets sorted early next week but who knows.
    Thanks very much GVGjr for an honest and frank understanding of the situation. The fact that there has been minimal interest in Stringer would suggest that all the adverse publicity that surrounds him was enough proof for the majority of the Clubs to lose interest in spite of Jake being a Premiership player and All Australian. I have formed an opinion that Stringer is such an individualist both on and off the field that he isn't a good fit at our Club, which Bevo obviously agrees. If you can not maintain the faith of the Coach and players, then it is time for him to move on. The recruitment of Trengrove, Crozier and hopefully Schache, brings some much needed talent into our Club, that needs to recover quickly from last year's disappointment.

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GWS delisted or let go of their list manager, now he wants to head to The Suns for the same role there.

The same role media folk were linking JMac to. Either there's a contest for The Suns role, or JMac may not be interested it. He's been busy post trade with Cloke 'retiring' and signing Jack for four years more.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    GWS delisted or let go of their list manager, now he wants to head to The Suns for the same role there.

The same role media folk were linking JMac to. Either there's a contest for The Suns role, or JMac may not be interested it. He's been busy post trade with Cloke 'retiring' and signing Jack for four years more.
    I don't think he was looking to go to the Suns as the list manager. That is Clayton's role. He was in consideration to replace Ashcroft
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he was looking to go to the Suns as the list manager. That is Clayton's role. He was in consideration to replace Ashcroft
    Mitch Cleary tweeted that Clayton to leave the Suns after the draft.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve changed my mind on McCartney and I want him to stay. He has done an amazing job keeping the list together and I’m impressed with his and the teams recent trade period.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’ve changed my mind on McCartney and I want him to stay. He has done an amazing job keeping the list together and I’m impressed with his and the teams recent trade period.
    Not sure why people were off him, I agree he has done a great job.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure why people were off him, I agree he has done a great job.
    Because everyone's supposed to be perfect in our view given our limited understanding of doings and transpirings.

Seriously, what was everyone's opinion of Richmond's list manager prior to this most recent season? How many people want to apportion the credit of last year's success for us on one of Bevo, Dalrymple or McCartney, let alone the assistant coaches?

Good list managers generally are just like anyone else within the management or governance structure. Without good systems, processes culture and support around them they're not worth much irrespective of their talent. I think about the Clayton days with us, and his days at GCS and acknowledge that he wasn't surrounded by much of those things, and that probably would have impacted the way he performed in his roles.

As for JMac, he's just part of a bigger team within the club and probably gets too much focus. Part of that is the simplification of footy by the media doing its work, the remainder probably has a fair bit to do with the fact we keep our cards fairly close to our chests.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post