Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Really pleasing to see our forwards come storming out of the 50 to tackle and harass.
    Only seen the highlights but it seems our forwards, Josh, Dickson and others had a good defensive game. A great confidence booster.
    Bevo noted the physicality of our boys has improved and Josh has really come leaps and bounds in that aspect this year.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In a word, no.
    English has ridiculous skills for a man of his size too. We've really lucked out with these two; there's simply no way that guys that big who can kick the way that they do don't have long, successful careers.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think other clubs are now starting to put time into Josh as well, Woosha sending Hooker to try to out muscle him. Josh averages more goals a game than Naughton this year, and converts at 75% at goal as opposed to just over 50% for Naughton. This isn't a slight at Naughton in the slightest. But Josh can do serious damage on the scoreboard with less of the ball, and with less of Naughton's freakish marking. Since coming back Josh has kicked 13.2 (80%+) in 7 games (one he was concussed). Other teams have, and will start to put more time into Josh. You just can't let him have the ball within range with his accuracy. But you also can't let Naughton off the leash either. And these two are only at the beginning of understanding each other, learning more forward craft and the mids learning their leading patterns.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Ghost Dog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think other clubs are now starting to put time into Josh as well, Woosha sending Hooker to try to out muscle him. Josh averages more goals a game than Naughton this year, and converts at 75% at goal as opposed to just over 50% for Naughton. This isn't a slight at Naughton in the slightest. But Josh can do serious damage on the scoreboard with less of the ball, and with less of Naughton's freakish marking. Since coming back Josh has kicked 13.2 (80%+) in 7 games (one he was concussed). Other teams have, and will start to put more time into Josh. You just can't let him have the ball within range with his accuracy. But you also can't let Naughton off the leash either. And these two are only at the beginning of understanding each other, learning more forward craft and the mids learning their leading patterns.
    I think there is a perception about Josh that he's a little bit soft, which to be brutally honest might not have been too far from the mark even as recently as round 4 of this year.

To his immense credit he responded excellently to his banishment, and added a clear hardened edge to his game, something that is tremendously difficult to do when it doesn't come naturally. But the reality is far easier to shake than the perception, and he can probably expect this treatment for a fair while.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh is putting his body on the line for his team mates every week now. It's a massive step forward in his development.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

10. Thanks Vred thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe, jeemak, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache is really a dilemma.

Where do you play him?. I really thought he would be a good Fwd/ruck, but after last night he just struggled to impact the game at all. He wasn't sighted for the first two quarters at all, and when he had chances to kick goals when running into an open forward line, he fluffed it?

We have even tried to make him a backman at VFL level, and rarely at AFL level?

He is still only 24 (almost 25), and should be starting to mature and reach his peak as a tall player.

Schache is out of contract at end of year. Does he get an extension?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets maybe give up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Lets maybe give up?
    It's getting that way.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He was very poor last night. Having said that, I would like to see him stay in the team until Bruce is ready to come back in.
    I just think we need to really see if he has the mental capacity to rebound from that performance, especially as we have a decision to make regarding whether or not we persevere with him beyond 2022.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Where do you play him?. I really thought he would be a good Fwd/ruck, but after last night he just struggled to impact the game at all. He wasn't sighted for the first two quarters at all, and when he had chances to kick goals when running into an open forward line, he fluffed it?

He is still only 24 (almost 25), and should be starting to mature and reach his peak as a tall player.

I year for me. Talls take time. Can be frustrating but worth another year. Can play forward and back.

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    He was very poor last night. Having said that, I would like to see him stay in the team until Bruce is ready to come back in.
    I just think we need to really see if he has the mental capacity to rebound from that performance, especially as we have a decision to make regarding whether or not we persevere with him beyond 2022.
    Same for me, he should have some credits in the bank but he's typically been the fall guy when we have put in a shocker.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Same for me, he should have some credits in the bank but he's typically been the fall guy when we have put in a shocker.
    He is not the fall guy, he just fails to impact a game.

It wasn't his fault we lost last night, he just didn't contribute

Post Thanks / Like

Has he ever played well against Brisbane?

He cops it from the crowd and opposing players and doesn’t seem the type who would thrive when he’s the centre of attention and would rather just play a role in the background.

Such a frustrating player because he has all the traits except the want to always compete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

It's a tough one. I always think of Lindsay Gaze's quote about players like this:

“If you are short, you have two years to prove you are a player. If you are tall, you have 10 years to prove that you aren’t a player.”

I don't think he has the attributes to be a Fwd/Ruck, like I said in the game thread, it's putting a square peg in a round hole. We have trialled him as a defender but have scrapped that pretty quickly when he was promoted. If we're going to do it, it's got to be all or nothing. Yo-yoing him to and from the team in different positions isn't going to help.

If I was to keep him on the list (That's a big IF) I'd be moulding him as a defender only and try to reinvent him in some way. Not just a couple of weeks and give up situation but a long term defender, nothing else. If he's playing VFL he's a defender only, if he is promoted he's a defender only. Let him learn the craft of being a backman and see if we can utilise him.

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post