Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

I'm not sure if we are interested in Schache or not but at the very least he creates some conflicting views on his value we can discuss.

The Pros:
    Highly talented player
    Good kick and mark
    For a player that has been homesick he has still racked up 27 games in 2 seasons which is a fair bit of development
    Great endurance base
    Good at the ground level
    Can take a spell in the ruck
    Good news story if we were to trade for him
    Could be a bargain

The Cons:
    Will he still be homesick living in Melbourne?
    Slow
    Lacks aggression
    Has a reputation for being lazy and having a poor work rate
    Could be a bust

On paper it looks like there is more upside than downside but there is some downside that we would need to consider

So is it worth having a crack at getting him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Schache

SEN reporting this morning we are unlikely to go down this road.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know enough about him to form a view of certainty.

Having said that, it depends on a few things:

1. What are we doing with Tom Boyd and what is our forward structure? If we are still planning to play Boyd in the ruck, there's an obvious position for a "full time" key forward. Secondly, do we want to have a forward half with 2 key talls for large portions of the game or do we want to implement what Richmond did by having 1 key tall (Boyd or Roughy - whoever isn't rucking) and the rest made up of medium/smalls who pressure the opposition. Added to that, if we want to employ a small forward line do we have the cattle to do so? Big question marks on Dickson (injury/age) and Clay (form/desire/injury) - Crozier would help but we don't have quick, skillful smalls.

2. Assuming there is a spot for another key forward, where is Schache at mentally? I suspect he would be much more settled in Victoria, but how driven is he?

3. The cost to get him. He is a difficult one to place given some of the off field challenges he has faced. Assuming we get 11 from Essendon for Stringer, I would entertain ways that we could on-trade it to Brisbane for Schache and get something else back.

Ultimately, I think if we want him and convinced him to come to us, we could facilitate a deal. My main sticking points are 1 & 2 - is he a committed footballer who embraces hard work and does he fit into our plans moving forward?

At this stage I am inclined to say yes, but it's not clear cut.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    SEN reporting this morning we are unlikely to go down this road.
    It might change if we get pick 11 though, I'd prefer we go to the draft with early picks but he's worth considering

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It might change if we get pick 11 though, I'd prefer we go to the draft with early picks but he's worth considering
    Yeah I'm not sure where the info came from it was a trade wrap re. Schache and they went through all Vic clubs and when it came to us stated us as 'unlikely'.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

His age, demeanour and conduct suggest he's got a bit of maturing to do - as a person as much as a player - in which case environment is critical, and can't imagine Brissy over the last couple of years would've been an easy one to negotiate.

I'm all for more skill. The physical tools are there. Put him somewhere he actually wants to be and surround him strong influences & support and I think you'd have a player.

If he can get near the expectations he's generated, at the current asking price he'd be a bit of a steal.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

In isolation it's a yes, but does he compliment Boyd or Redpath? The answer seems to be no.
    He's not quick and seems best suited to playing deep forward.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's a thoroughly valid question, but I wouldn't be letting the fact that Redpath's currently contracted impede our interest in someone of Schache's ilk.

Much admiration for Redders, but on a serious contender he's spare parts.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I think his upside is well worth the risk. He's young ... and his highlight reel from the State carnivals is outstanding
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

For the right deal (as I've said before), it's well worth it for mine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Trade‏ @AFLTrade 18h18 hours ago
    More
    Carlton and the Western Bulldogs are the two current front runners for Josh Schache. We'll be keeping a close eye on this one. Stay tuned..

14. Thanks bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, Templeton31, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely in the pro crowd. A long term prospect but certainly well worth considering at the right price.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know enough about him to comment on if I want or not. Is he ready now? My issue is we drafted last season for 3 - 5 years on, if we're serious about taking another run at the cup we need players who will help right now. Can he help much in 2018?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I don't know enough about him to comment on if I want or not. Is he ready now? My issue is we drafted last season for 3 - 5 years on, if we're serious about taking another run at the cup we need players who will help right now. Can he help much in 2018?
    I think he could but more 2019. As we know the taller boys take a bit more time

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a two horse race Carlton have two options really. Swap 3 for 12. Not a sure bet. Or work with St Kilda to swap 3 for 7 & 8 as they've alluded to. Then they use pick 7 at the draft, and try to use pick 8 for pick 18 compared to pick 9 for pick 18 with us. But we've got 26 to downgrade to add in to make up for a single spot. So short of them doing pick 3 for pick 12, I think we can fight a good fight on the actual trade side. Then it's convincing him to come to us and not a big club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023