Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Chris Grant was interviewed by afl.com.au for draft stuff, but a question came up on Josh. Turtle said he did a solid 5-6 week block of training (at Seymour in his off season break) before turning up for preseason 'hitting the ground running'. Further that he's hard worker and is in ripping condition and the club is 'really pleased'. Importantly, that he's happy at the club and enjoying the new environment.

A very promising start.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks bornadog, KT31, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Chris Grant was interviewed by afl.com.au for draft stuff, but a question came up on Josh. Turtle said he did a solid 5-6 week block of training (at Seymour in his off season break) before turning up for preseason 'hitting the ground running'. Further that he's hard worker and is in ripping condition and the club is 'really pleased'. Importantly, that he's happy at the club and enjoying the new environment.

A very promising start.
    Without putting too much pressure on the kid, sometimes he reminds me of Turtle, the way he eads and moves with ball in hand. For a big man, he glides.

Post Thanks / Like

How much easier will it be for our mids to look up and see a target moving toward them instead of just standing there and then running behind the contest looking for the spill out the back and the easy goal?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

A very promising start.
    Did well to concentrate on that interview Trag . Bit of lovin happening in the background

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Did well to concentrate on that interview Trag . Bit of lovin happening in the background
    I'm going back to watch it now...

Too right. It was like that god awful Meryl Bainbridge film clip from the 90's where neither take a breath for 4 minutes.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Without putting too much pressure on the kid, sometimes he reminds me of Turtle, the way he eads and moves with ball in hand. For a big man, he glides.

Steady on there champ. Chris Grant was as silk as they come, in fact they don't come much silkier. Some lunatic has been going around posting on WOOF that the Bont is going to be better than Kelvin Templeton as well. We don't want to collectively lose our heads.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unusual to have the CEO commenting on players but I guess Ameet has more of a football background than many CEOs.

Don't expect 'seismic shift' from new Dog: CEO

NEW Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains says expectations on recruit Josh Schache need to realistic as the No.2 draft pick from 2015 looks to restart his career at Whitten Oval.

The Bulldogs traded for the former Lion in the dying seconds of last October's NAB AFL Trade Period, giving up picks 25 and 40 in November's draft.

The 20-year-old Victorian, who struggled to settle in his two seasons in Brisbane, has kicked 25 goals in 27 senior games.

As list manager at St Kilda, Bains saw first-hand the pressure key forward Paddy McCartin endured after being the first player selected in the 2014 draft.

"I think the expectations on some of these (young) guys is a bit unrealistic at this point in their career," Bains told 3AW on Wednesday evening.

"Josh is still a player that is still developing, and he's obviously got a lot of talent to be drafted where he was, so hopefully in this environment he can continue to be supported and grow into the player we want him to be.

"To expect that seismic change in year one at the Bulldogs is a stretch."

The Dogs are optimistic Schache can play in the same side as fellow key forwards Tom Boyd and Jack Redpath, with all three having the ability to play in the ruck.

Quizzed on how Boyd was faring after battling mental health issues last year, Bains said the 2016 premiership hero had made an impression on the club's recent camp in Queensland.

"Tom is going well, (and) up in Mooloolaba there were a couple of opportunities for match simulation and Tom was a strong part of that.

"He's setting himself for a big season this year."

After winning the premiership in just his second year as coach, Luke Beveridge found the going a lot tougher in the Dogs' flag defence, with a disappointing season ending with the team missing the finals.

Bains said Beveridge was in good spirits after a difficult 12 months that also saw the club trade premiership star Jake Stringer to Essendon and the 47-year-old coach require off-season surgery on a neck complaint.

"He's going well, Luke, he's a fantastic coach and fantastic person," he said.

"The coaching and playing group only came back last week from a camp up in Mooloolaba, which was great for setting the foundations for the season ahead."

10. Thanks Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sensible article on Schache - it will take time but hopefully the boy really knuckles down and has the drive required

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck tomorrow for your first game in RWB
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

May there be 200 more, with 300 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go for 535 goals, midway between KT's 494 and the Pieman's 575 totals. 230 games in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Pleased for Josh. I think he can be a very good forward for us, and while his recent form in the twos hasn't been scintillating, it has been goal kicking form. Goals are so, so precious at the moment. If he can take his turn for the tough stuff when needed, and otherwise just get the footy and kick a goal more often than not, good things will happen for him and us.

Post Thanks / Like

He's going to be our Josh Jenkins and get out the back for the Joe the Goose.

Post Thanks / Like

A very promising start.
    On SEN last night they were talking about Schache and how different his body shape looks now to last season - "leaner, more like a footballer".

I had real doubts when we nabbed him but 9 goals in 3 weeks at VFL level means he's earned his spot. Good luck to him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing I liked about Schache's game last week was the ground he covered and seeing him get several inside 50 entrys. That's what we need from him tomorrow, hard leading, hard running, creating space for Dickson, Gowers, Lipinski etc, and really working their fullback. I'm excited to see what he can bring. Best of luck Josh.

20. Likes ReLoad, Mofra liked this post