Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Last June 8, 2017..... The second-year player had been expected to demand offers worth up to $700,000 a season from a Melbourne-based team.
    However, Schache has opted to stay on what is believed to be a deal worth $350,000 a year.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...da07fec9e09fa2
    The Hun reported that Schache's recent deal with Brisbane was for $350k per annum with up to $150k in performance pay. It was reported to be a two year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    The Hun reported that Schache's recent deal with Brisbane was for $350k per annum with up to $150k in performance pay. It was reported to be a two year deal.
    Is that 200k + 150k or 350k + 150k? What's performance pay is it bonuses for reaching targets?

*edit* worked it out 350 + 150=500k
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes LongWait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yep - Andrew Hooper. Before him was Sam Power! On the positive side Danny Southern and Steve Kolyniuk were also Larke medalists.
    That should mean we are due for a good one then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that 200k + 150k or 350k + 150k? What's performance pay is it bonuses for reaching targets?

*edit* worked it out 350 + 150=500k
    The Hun article wasn't specific about what the performance bonus part was. I hope it doesn't include match payments but it probably does. I understand that some AFL contracts ignore any additional payment for matches played and some have match payments as part of the bonus or incentive (which costs the club a lot if the player plays a lot of senior games, but is great for the club if the player spends a lot of time in the VFL.)

EDIT - I edited the post to try to express myself more clearly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    The Hun article wasn't specific about what the performance bonus part was. I hope it doesn't include match payments but it probably does. A $350k base excluding match payments is a lot different to a base that ignores match payments. I understand that some AFL contracts ignore match payments and some have match payments as part of the bonus or incentive (which costs the club a lot if the player plays a lot of senior games, but is great for the club if the player spends a lot of time in the VFL.)
    You'd hope we'd be compassionate with him and his manager, but also push on the contract terms/value considering it was us or realistically sit the year out Cam McCarthy style.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes LongWait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm going with the very obvious "Shack" for a nickname until I hear a better one. Go The Shack!
    The Love Shack !!!
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

9. Likes AndrewP6, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    The Love Shack !!!
    That's a Rocco Special Thread if ever there was one!

I can see T-shirts, stickers, badges...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Clearly he was considered a boom/bust prospect by Victorian clubs. I think in years to come we will be talking about 25 & 40 for him and debating if this was the best trade we've done. So yes, I'm in the boom view of him.
    I think the same - but 25 & 40 in a thin draft is a very cheap price to pay when you consider that genuine KPFs are almost always taken at the pointy end of the draft (as Schache was).

Having two pre-seasons under his belt helps too, and he can actually run which helps us link/transition out of defence so he actually plays a style that fits into our existing style of play.

I do worry about his competitiveness however his first year he did a lot of flying in packs. If we get 2016 Schache we're laughing, if we get 2017 Schache his ceiling is role player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd once said of Schache, " His leading and know-how as a junior forward is as good as I have ever seen, and his kicking is the purest I have ever seen". So to get the almost-number-1 draft pick a few years back at that price seems a great deal. Enjoying his highlights package on YT. He does swing through in a really balanced way like Barry Hall - one of the best kicks I've ever seen at our club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes Dry Rot, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Lloyd once said of Schache, " His leading and know-how as a junior forward is as good as I have ever seen, and his kicking is the purest I have ever seen". So to get the almost-number-1 draft pick a few years back at that price seems a great deal. Enjoying his highlights package on YT. He does swing through in a really balanced way like Barry Hall - one of the best kicks I've ever seen at our club.
    Schache is very well regarded in his home town of Seymour, some who have strong connections with the WB. We could be looking at a future star key forward at just age 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think the same - but 25 & 40 in a thin draft is a very cheap price to pay when you consider that genuine KPFs are almost always taken at the pointy end of the draft (as Schache was).

Having two pre-seasons under his belt helps too, and he can actually run which helps us link/transition out of defence so he actually plays a style that fits into our existing style of play.

I do worry about his competitiveness however his first year he did a lot of flying in packs. If we get 2016 Schache we're laughing, if we get 2017 Schache his ceiling is role player.

He does lope along beautifully for a big kid. I love his sense of balance when he runs with the ball, he just looks so natural.

Would you rather have a kid with all the talent in the world who sleeps with the light on or a nasty little prick who is an OK kick or mark or handball but puts his head over the ball every time?

I don't know, I keep chopping and changing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sportsday‏ @SportsdayRadio 20h20 hours ago
    More
    Gerard Healy: "The Dogs could end up in front by losing Stringer but ending up with Schache. It's a good news story (of the trade period)"

18. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    More
    Gerard Healy: "The Dogs could end up in front by losing Stringer but ending up with Schache. It's a good news story (of the trade period)"

Unfortunately as things turned out we ended up in front just by losing Stringer but I am very happy to get Schache. Very keen to see us stretch a few defences next year with various set ups. We can go with two talls and the Bont roaming around or we can go small with Dalhaus and Hunter and JJ and Daniel and Maclean resting forward at the same time and kick the ball along the ground to them (I really want to see if the chaos ball theory works) medium with Dickson, Dale and Lipinski.

20. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    More
    Kudos Gerard. For the having the courage to say something positive about us, us forcing/losing Stringer and our trade period. I haven't read anything positive, so it's a genuinely note worthy comment. Good on you.

22. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Kudos Gerard. For the having the courage to say something positive about us, us forcing/losing Stringer and our trade period. I haven't read anything positive, so it's a genuinely note worthy comment. Good on you.

Buckenara was fairly positive I thought.