Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    More like 10kg I reckon
    I gave them a puppy fat discount on his first and only season with them...

We saw Lake trim down immediately going to Hawthorn and our players have been following suit by and large. And in recruiting Boyd, Cloke & Schache the first thing to do with them alo was to lose weight. I wonder why other clubs still have this preference to have tall, athletic players carrying extra weight? Is there some philosophical or sports science rgument for it I wonder?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

We saw Lake trim down immediately going to Hawthorn and our players have been following suit by and large. And in recruiting Boyd, Cloke & Schache the first thing to do with them alo was to lose weight. I wonder why other clubs still have this preference to have tall, athletic players carrying extra weight? Is there some philosophical or sports science rgument for it I wonder?
    All 3 of those players wanted to change clubs and make an impact at their new one. I think they were just motivated to work extra hard, though I know GWS were trying to make Boyd a goalsquare monster as they had Cameron, Patton, Lobb, Stewart & McCarthy as more athletic types
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The game style the coach wants to go with would be the most important consideration I'd think.

I like what you're doing with the word argument there too. It's very east LA
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am starting to warm up to him feeling at home at the Bulldogs and have immediate impact in 2018.

Schache ready to make his mark

Seymour lad Josh Schache can’t wait to pull on his Bulldogs jersey and prove all his doubters wrong on the footy field.

After two seasons playing for the Brisbane Lions, the 20-year-old key forward prospect came back to Victoria in September to be closer to his family.

Despite having a good relationship with the Lions, Schache said living so far away from home was always difficult for him.

‘‘Growing up, I’ve been really close to my mum and my sister since my dad passed away when I was five,’’ he said.

‘‘We moved states when I was about eight or nine, and we’ve created a great environment around home in Seymour.

‘‘Living away from home was tough, because outside of the footy club I didn’t really have anyone I could go to.
    ‘‘But Brisbane were really good with that — they tried everything they could, and I couldn’t thank the club enough for what they’ve done for me and the family.’’

Part of the problem for Schache was that adding to the long distance separation from family and friends, the former number two draft pick faced relentless pressure from the media.

This meant Schache often had to choose between cutting himself off from his support network, or exposing himself to online criticism.

‘‘I used my phone to stay connected with my mates and family back here ... but I couldn’t use it for weeks due to the amount of scrutiny and the amount of people who have an opinion on you,’’ he said.

‘‘But with the experience I’ve had this year, I feel like I can look at it now and see it in a different way, so I know how to handle it a lot better and just sort of laugh at it, because no-one’s going to think you’re perfect.

‘‘You’ve just got to listen to the people who really matter to you and who know you best.’’

With the trade sorted, Schache has his sights set on training hard during the pre-season and earning the respect of his new team-mates, because despite his reputation as a top draft pick, he said this counted for nothing once you’re in the AFL system.

‘‘Once you get into the AFL you’re just another player, and it’s what you do from there on out that defines you,’’ he said.

‘‘So I’m as motivated as ever to prove everyone wrong and get out there to be a part of something big and something successful at the Bulldogs.’’

In terms of his actual game, Schache has identified a handful of specific areas he wants to improve on — namely his one-on-one ability and his strength in the contest.

And while the former Lion said he was excited about the prospect of building a partnership with Tom Boyd, the number one draft pick in 2013, Schache said Bulldogs fans might be seeing him roam outside the forward line next season.

‘‘I think I might be moving around a bit more, so we can test that out during the pre-season,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve got my running back up to where it needs to be now, so that can add another string to my bow, because I can get up the ground and maybe into the ruck a bit more, which is exciting.’’

Schache will join other first-to-fourth-year Western Bulldogs players at the club’s opening training session today, with the rest of the team to return on November 20.

By GUS MCCUBBING NOVEMBER 09, 2017
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

6. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs, ratsmac, Topdog, Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Eastdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good times ahead for him. And us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that he mentions the possibility of rucking. It's going to be fascinating to see our ruck strategy, I have no idea which way the coaching team will go with Roughy, Trengove, Boyd and Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Interesting that he mentions the possibility of rucking. It's going to be fascinating to see our ruck strategy, I have no idea which way the coaching team will go with Roughy, Trengove, Boyd and Schache.
    I think that's a great spread of talent, and flexibility to play them all. As much as I like Roughy, as soon as English can get in the side we might not have to play a traditional ruckman for a long time. English can play midfield, Trengove back or forward and the other two as tall forwards who play different forward roles. Whoever is the 'tall follower' can depend on the game and how they're performing on the day.

The flip side, I see Campbell not getting a game this year. And if English starts off well and keeps improving at the top level, I can see Roughy getting nudged out of the side. As a free agent at the end of 2018, it might make things interesting for him in where he sees himself getting opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

With him possibly taking some ruck time there's a chance that not all four play in the same side.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be who is left over at Footscray that will determine who is playing well out of that group and taking their chances for a place in the senior team. It's nice to have a bit of competition for spots amongst the big fellers.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say the thought of playing another talented big forward as a part time ruck really fills me with excitement. Rather he and Boyd stayed forward and Roughead and Trengove worried about ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Can't say the thought of playing another talented big forward as a part time ruck really fills me with excitement. Rather he and Boyd stayed forward and Roughead and Trengove worried about ruck.
    I would rather Trengove stay at fullback. Roughead/Boyd can interchange in the ruck and Schache stay at home.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would rather Trengove stay at fullback. Roughead/Boyd can interchange in the ruck and Schache stay at home.
    Yep that's my preference too.
    Roughy playing as many minutes as his tank allows, Boyd plays more forward/ruck and Schache plays high forward unless Boyd rucks where Roughy goes to the bench and Schache plays closer to goals (as well as playing closer to goal when Boyd is on the bench).

Importantly, we can have at least one big guy in the forwardline for 100% of gametime as the get-out kick. The game we played Stringer as the lone tall forward against North was horrible, he kept going for over the top species instead of doing the team thing and bringing the ball to ground. Boyd generally does well in the "never get outmarked" rule set by the coaching staff, hopefully Schache develops the same mindset.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep that's my preference too.
    Roughy playing as many minutes as his tank allows, Boyd plays more forward/ruck and Schache plays high forward unless Boyd rucks where Roughy goes to the bench and Schache plays closer to goals (as well as playing closer to goal when Boyd is on the bench).

Importantly, we can have at least one big guy in the forwardline for 100% of gametime as the get-out kick. The game we played Stringer as the lone tall forward against North was horrible, he kept going for over the top species instead of doing the team thing and bringing the ball to ground. Boyd generally does well in the "never get outmarked" rule set by the coaching staff, hopefully Schache develops the same mindset.
    Playing four of them adds extra flexibility. Say Boyd was having a GF day, we wouldn't want him wasting his time rucking. Then Roughy/English have either Schache or Trengove. If either are having a slower or bad day in the KPP role, Bevo can insert them into the ruck. As you say, having one or two genuine tall forwards at any given time will a luxury we have never really had recently. Their flexibility and added rucking ability does bring up concerns about guys like Campbell, Roberts & Redders.

Post Thanks / Like

Their flexibility and added rucking ability does bring up concerns about guys like Campbell, Roberts & Redders.
    Great competition for a spot, which means these guys are going to have to work harder to get a spot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great competition for a spot, which means these guys are going to have to work harder to get a spot.
    For sure. But in the weekly match committee meetings, these players are going to have to overcome the fact they're quite one dimensional. Nothing against these guys, but it says a lot that 30 minutes after the Schache trade happened Bevo called him, welcomed him no told him he is required to play multiple positions. So if that's the key thing for Bevo, I'm not sure how they become able to add a new dimension to their game.