Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No doubt both clubs are happy. But what in their statistical averages is 'significantly' different? They seem to virtually the same to me, less some midfield numbers of course.
    Without actually checking stats (lazy right now) Stringer's goal assist numbers would be higher I would assume. Other than that, yeah there doesn't seem that much seperating them.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Without actually checking stats (lazy right now) Stringer's goal assist numbers would be higher I would assume. Other than that, yeah there doesn't seem that much seperating them.
    0.9 Stringer, 0.3 Schache
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

3. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Yep, a difference but not a huge one. Looking at the returns for 2018 on averages, I'm happy that what we've lost/forced out from 2017 has been replaced this year by what we've brought in. Not talking about the trade, but in pure list management, that is, what we cut vs what brought in, we've covered the 190cm+ forward swap nicely. That we did it with a younger player, for less salary cap and draft pick positive, is just a bonus to the situation.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Schache has been great. So (to be truthful) have most of the recruits - Crozier and Trengove had rocky starts but have been impressive in the 2nd half of the year...Lipinski, Richards, Fergus, Naughton, Lynch...they have all been great.

Yet....
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

^ You missed Gowers

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yet....
    Yet... which senior players have improved?

Macrae and McLean are in career best form, but Bont's carrying an injury, and the others have been injured (Wood, Libba) played out of position (early Wood, JJ) or been hit or miss (Hunter).

Hunter is the interesting one. Whenever he looks to dispose of the ball forward he looks a weapon, whenever his first instinct is to backtrack (which has happened a lot this year) he's looked terrible.

We have played good football in patches but not 4 quarters, although the Geelong game was close. Some of the statistical breakdowns are very telling - 20+ games more experience plus an adequate ruck division and we're easily a top 8 side.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I just love comparing the mood of this forum (and the other one) after a win vs a loss. How outlooks can change. I'm guilty too. We still have our problems, but like the old footy cliche, things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    ^ You missed Gowers

Yet... which senior players have improved?

Macrae and McLean are in career best form, but Bont's carrying an injury, and the others have been injured (Wood, Libba) played out of position (early Wood, JJ) or been hit or miss (Hunter).

Hunter is the interesting one. Whenever he looks to dispose of the ball forward he looks a weapon, whenever his first instinct is to backtrack (which has happened a lot this year) he's looked terrible.

We have played good football in patches but not 4 quarters, although the Geelong game was close. Some of the statistical breakdowns are very telling - 20+ games more experience plus an adequate ruck division and we're easily a top 8 side.
    There is certainly something wrong with the Bont. I was 4 rows from the ground behind the goals in the 1st quarter and the ball landed just above the goal square. Bont was clearly the closest to the ball, yet for some reason he just did not attack it. It looked like a half-arsed effort. The saints player did attack it and it resulted in a goal. Believe me i was questioning everything at that point. It did not look great.....yet 2 quarters later he's unstoppable with 4 goals.....

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone seems to “know” Bont has a hip complaint. Is there actual foundation for this?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Everyone seems to “know” Bont has a hip complaint. Is there actual foundation for this?
    I don't believe so. It's a conclusion drawn by previous complaints and his running gait (at least from my perspective).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Schache has been great. So (to be truthful) have most of the recruits - Crozier and Trengove had rocky starts but have been impressive in the 2nd half of the year...Lipinski, Richards, Fergus, Naughton, Lynch...they have all been great.

Yet....
    Couldn't agree more. I had major concerns with Crazier earlier but he is really reliable now. Schache is coming along nicely.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    There is certainly something wrong with the Bont. I was 4 rows from the ground behind the goals in the 1st quarter and the ball landed just above the goal square. Bont was clearly the closest to the ball, yet for some reason he just did not attack it. It looked like a half-arsed effort. The saints player did attack it and it resulted in a goal. Believe me i was questioning everything at that point. It did not look great.....yet 2 quarters later he's unstoppable with 4 goals.....
    Bont has still been very important this year in games but at other times been down on form. His comtempaties have gone past him this year. Hopefully in 2019 the true Bont will be back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaknowmore View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I had major concerns with Crazier earlier but he is really reliable now. Schache is coming along nicely.
    He is not that crazy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn’t suggesting a hip problem. I was just disappointed in the effort. He might have been buggered at that point. Who knows

Post Thanks / Like

His hip operation, interrupted pre-season and obvious mobility issues?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    His hip operation, interrupted pre-season and obvious mobility issues?
    There has been a few games this year where when tackled, he's taken longer to get up, been grimacing and grabbing at or stretching out his hip. Has looked hobbled more often than not.

The four goals was relief as much as joy for me. Perhaps things are settling down a bit on that front. We all want to see him at 100% because it is as good as anyone will ever get IMO. Even going at 75% he has been very important.