Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  213
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs:- Josh Schache

I think I jumped off the bandwagon last night. Before then I always argued that not everyone needs to be super aggressive -there’s a place for the guy with the adroit skills, someone who’s a lead, mark, convert player. But .. he dropped marks. He fluffed easy chances. He was diabolical in the ruck where to be fair he shouldn’t play. And if several years after leaving Bris that’s still affecting him - well?!? In his mid 20s, even with the talls-take-longer thing … he just has to do more. I’ve so badly wanted him to succeed, and feel he’s often been the scapegoat and poorly treated …. But … for how long do we kid ourselves that the lack of confidence/intensity won’t continue, they’re intrinsic to him and we have to accept the reality.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes Bullies, Happy Days, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think I jumped off the bandwagon last night. Before then I always argued that not everyone needs to be super aggressive -there’s a place for the guy with the adroit skills, someone who’s a lead, mark, convert player. But .. he dropped marks. He fluffed easy chances. He was diabolical in the ruck where to be fair he shouldn’t play. And if several years after leaving Bris that’s still affecting him - well?!? In his mid 20s, even with the talls-take-longer thing … he just has to do more. I’ve so badly wanted him to succeed, and feel he’s often been the scapegoat and poorly treated …. But … for how long do we kid ourselves that the lack of confidence/intensity won’t continue, they’re intrinsic to him and we have to accept the reality.
    Doesn’t this sum up the problem?

We don’t leave him in a position where he plays well. He was in the ruck too much. Although to be honest I think people should look at the results when he rucked. We had 11 clearances To 4. Didn’t give Brisbane much advantage, so I think this statement is extreme.

When he was in the forward line he was the target only 3 times (Naughton 15). Game plan anyone?

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache hasn’t done much wrong since coming in IMO. He was two bung kicks away from another par performance I thought.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Schache hasn’t done much wrong since coming in IMO. He was two bung kicks away from another par performance I thought.
    Josh doesn't get judged like other players and in a late of cases thats his problem to resolve.
    For example Weightman hasn't done much in the last 2 weeks but won't be under much scrutiny to hold his spot.
    It probably comes down to Sweet or Schache with English returning. Do we need a 2nd ruckman on a smaller oval?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Josh doesn't get judged like other players and in a late of cases thats his problem to resolve.
    For example Weightman hasn't done much in the last 2 weeks but won't be under much scrutiny to hold his spot.
    It probably comes down to Sweet or Schache with English returning. Do we need a 2nd ruckman on a smaller oval?
    Definitely. Ruck clearances quickly result in goals.

We must protect the middle because poor delivery into our forwards results in opposition goals.

Post Thanks / Like

It probably comes down to Sweet or Schache with English returning.
    That's a real Sophie's Choice for Danjul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That's a real Sophie's Choice for Danjul.
    No, I think Sweet is needed. Is English 100%?

Post Thanks / Like

He’s inconsistent, isn’t a match winner and also isn’t a match loser.

He’s very harshly judged and I’d be sticking with him for a fair while yet.

12. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately Schache's one wood which is kicking for goal deserted him against Brisbane. Kick those 2 and we probably wouldn't be suggesting he gets dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon his hands are one of his biggest issues, how many times do we see him get his hands first to the ball but as soon as there is any contact he struggles to hold it. Logan McDonald has been seeing a hand therapist apparently If I was Josh I would be trying anything to get that ball to stick.

There just hasn't been any development from Josh since he first arrived at the club that's my biggest concern. If you look at Marra's hands over the the few weeks that ball is starting to stick, you can really can see where he is going with it all.

I don't think playing him in the ruck is giving him his best chance to make it, but I expect a lot more from Josh from this stage of his career. I loved his game again Port in the finals last year, he came up at the footy and demanded it, but unfortunately he has taken a few steps back since then. Bruce has been out all year, this was the year that Josh had the opportunity to cement himself at AFL level.

Tod Marshall has taken the next step this year for Port(23 years old Dixon out) he is probably the best version of what Josh can become but does he really want it enough?

15. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I reckon his hands are one of his biggest issues, how many times do we see him get his hands first to the ball but as soon as there is any contact he struggles to hold it. Logan McDonald has been seeing a hand therapist apparently If I was Josh I would be trying anything to get that ball to stick.

There just hasn't been any development from Josh since he first arrived at the club that's my biggest concern. If you look at Marra's hands over the the few weeks that ball is starting to stick, you can really can see where he is going with it all.

I don't think playing him in the ruck is giving him his best chance to make it, but I expect a lot more from Josh from this stage of his career. I loved his game again Port in the finals last year, he came up at the footy and demanded it, but unfortunately he has taken a few steps back since then. Bruce has been out all year, this was the year that Josh had the opportunity to cement himself at AFL level.

Tod Marshall has taken the next step this year for Port(23 years old Dixon out) he is probably the best version of what Josh can become but does he really want it enough?
    Schache was one of our best against hawthorn, I have seen Bruce play worse. With more marks and disposals than Naughton, and a couple of goals as well as spending time in the ruck, he was close to a reasonable player. (Personally I thought he was excellent but I realise all measures of performance are elastic at the dogs).

Also, he has not been given time, he has spent most of the year in the vfl filling in gaps in a weak team.

After a good game against Adelaide (better stats than Naughton) he was dropped. Now after a poor game his name is the first raised to be dropped again. His poor game was almost identical to Weightman’s, both handicapped on the forward line by appalling delivery. I will admit, however, we simply cannot afford to give him more than two games in a row.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He’s inconsistent, isn’t a match winner and also isn’t a match loser.

He’s very harshly judged and I’d be sticking with him for a fair while yet.
    In an ideal world, we have Schache on our list as depth who can plug and play a role but he's not a week in, week out performer so we'd have better options in the first instance.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve thought about this post for a minute and it just doesn’t sit with me well.

The reason we are harsh on Schache and not those other guys is because those other guys have actually shown something, whereas, for whatever reason, Schache is still looked at as a project.

Weightman shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as him. Cody’s won games, plural, and some big games (Port last year) for us. He clearly had talent, heart, and something to work with.

Schache has been in the AFL since 2016. One pick below Weitering, the second best key defender in the AFL with a huge gap before the third. Same draft as Charlie Curnow. Who was declared legally dead in 2020 and is now gonna win a Coleman.

What has Schache ever actually done? What injuries has he had to make us be patient? He’s just a mediocre player who will never ever be any better than that. This is the exact guy you cut bait on.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve thought about this post for a minute and it just doesn’t sit with me well.

The reason we are harsh on Schache and not those other guys is because those other guys have actually shown something, whereas, for whatever reason, Schache is still looked at as a project.

Weightman shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as him. Cody’s won games, plural, and some big games (Port last year) for us. He clearly had talent, heart, and something to work with.

Schache has been in the AFL since 2016. One pick below Weitering, the second best key defender in the AFL with a huge gap before the third. Same draft as Charlie Curnow. Who was declared legally dead in 2020 and is now gonna win a Coleman.

What has Schache ever actually done? What injuries has he had to make us be patient? He’s just a mediocre player who will never ever be any better than that. This is the exact guy you cut bait on.
    I think he needs an extended run rather than being dismissed after one poor game. Josh doesn't get the luxury of building any credits. He's a frustrating player but until Bruce is ready I'd be sticking with him. I'm okay with him being a role player and perhaps the shipped has sailed on him meeting his talent level.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He’s never been allowed to settle in a role. He should be playing either key fwd or key defence and stick with that.

Wing, ruck, defence, forward… he gets chucked literally all over the place and expected to perform? Fact is few players perform well under those circumstances, and while I’m a supporter of his, I’m certainly willing to say he’s not going to be in our top 10 players ever. That doesn’t mean he can’t still be a valuable contributor if given the opportunity to settle.