Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lukas Webb in 2018

Where to play him?

He's a VFL gun inside mid. His best at AFL level has been off the back flank. His kicking inside 50 would be an asset too. I don't think throwing him around positions hs been best for his development. I'd like us to pick one position, with a relief position which we may have done with the inside midfielder role which hasn't fully worked.

For me, I'd like him to run, carry and kick off the half back flank, with the occasional stint off the HFF to see if his kicking improves our inside 50's.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lukas Webb in 2018

To me he should be tried on the wing. He's not tough enough just yet as he is a kid, to play backline. Leave him to roam the wings dropping beautiful kicks into the forward line. Hunter and Dal in the forward pockets. They are not good enough field kicks to be delivering to the forwards. But in saying that imagine trying to defend those two ferreting around Boyds feet in the 50.

B Cordy Trengove Morris
    HB JJ Wood Biggs
    C Webb Daniel Suckilng
    HF Stringer Cloke Crameri
    F Dal Boyd Hunter
    R ZakClarke Bont Libba
    I McRae Dale Magic Picken Roughead Adams Dunkley Young Williams

Gee we have some talent on the list

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    To me he should be tried on the wing. He's not tough enough just yet as he is a kid, to play backline.
    We don't give Bailey Williams that excuse and he doesn't need it despite being younger IIRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We don't give Bailey Williams that excuse and he doesn't need it despite being younger IIRC
    In a comment on BW he's at least been allowed to learn one position. Webby has been thrown all over the board.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    In a comment on BW he's at least been allowed to learn one position. Webby has been thrown all over the board.
    That's fair.

He certainly looked much better at positioning when he started than when he was thrown back against he Lions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's fair.

He certainly looked much better at positioning when he started than when he was thrown back against he Lions
    True. I know we seem to like players to be multi dimensional from the get go, but I'm not convinced that's worked for Webby. I'd love for him to have a key kicking role, rather than trying to make him another contested beast. Guys like him, Dale & Crozier kicking inside 50 should make Tommy, Travis & Redders excited about playing football.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how much of it is mental for Webby? He's proven he's a consistent performer at VFL level but needs a breakout game at AFL level to get his confidence up.

I still like him developing aspects of his game because he doesn't have the speed to play a strictly outside role.

His ability in the air bodes well for a defensive role (haven't seen a huge amount of it since his early days, but he has it) and his kicking is neat and effective.

He needs a big pre-season and plenty of confidence, but he could be our surprise packet this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I wonder how much of it is mental for Webby? He's proven he's a consistent performer at VFL level but needs a breakout game at AFL level to get his confidence up.

I still like him developing aspects of his game because he doesn't have the speed to play a strictly outside role.

His ability in the air bodes well for a defensive role (haven't seen a huge amount of it since his early days, but he has it) and his kicking is neat and effective.

He needs a big pre-season and plenty of confidence, but he could be our surprise packet this year.
    I think he needs to return to the back line to gain confidence in his game and to feel comfortable playing senior football.
    I'm perplexed why his outstanding form in the VFL as a midfielder level hasn't necessarily translated to even average form at the senior level. He reads the play well and he's known for his kicking skills but I'm not sure he has made the transition to an inside midfielder role he's been asked to play. There might be a question if he is quick enough is well.

The next 12 months tells the story for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he needs to return to the back line to gain confidence in his game and to feel comfortable playing senior football.
    I'm perplexed why his outstanding form in the VFL as a midfielder level hasn't necessarily translated to even average form at the senior level. He reads the play well and he's known for his kicking skills but I'm not sure he has made the transition to an inside midfielder role he's been asked to play. There might be a question if he is quick enough is well.

The next 12 months tells the story for him.
    Its been a little strange hasnt it, he had a very good year in the VFL - has improved his hands, and hardness around the contest and continued to kick it well. He still needs to get a bit stronger, but looks very much on the improve.

When in the seniors this year he tended to play more midfield/half forward

They didnt use him much back in 2017.

I think they've challenged him to take a midfield spot

Post Thanks / Like

His manager on Trade Radio today said he expects him to stay as an inside mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    His manager on Trade Radio today said he expects him to stay as an inside mid.
    A couple of other interesting snippets courtesy of his manager; Webb pondered seeking more opportunity elsewhere but decided to stay, and acknowledged the next step in his development is to seriously build his tank.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Midfield eventually, taking opportunities wherever they present themselves.

He's not ready to command a specific position yet, meaning he'll be used in holes when he gets a game. Eventually I see him as a Joel Corey type, but he needs a harder edge than what he currently has.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the kid can make it as a starting 22, he has got some class, but he as a lot of our other younger kids are still short of a couple of good hard pre-seasons, we need to build the young ones up, I believe that winning the flag actually hurt us 2017 because of the shortened pre-season and perhaps the effect on the mind, so it will be interesting to see what a full pre-season has on our youngsters, we may be well surprised to see the energy return. But on Webby Half back or wing would be perfect for him.
    Perhaps we could also look at settling the boys into a selected position instead of playing them all over the park every other week.

Post Thanks / Like

Webb needs to play forward so we can utilise his skills via connection and kicking for goal. How many inside mids do we need?

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing a question out there:

Webby can't find a spot at half back and has cant seem to make the jump to AFEL inside midfielder. His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too. Can we try to turn him into a Shaun Higgins type forward? Quick enough (without being fast). is a good size at 187cm, good skills, good kick and doesn't need a heap of possessions to kick a goal or two a game, and set up others?

Is it worth seeing if he can nail down a role like this?