Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lukas Webb in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just throwing a question out there:

Webby can't find a spot at half back and has cant seem to make the jump to AFEL inside midfielder. His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too. Can we try to turn him into a Shaun Higgins type forward? Quick enough (without being fast). is a good size at 187cm, good skills, good kick and doesn't need a heap of possessions to kick a goal or two a game, and set up others?

Is it worth seeing if he can nail down a role like this?
    Yep. Worth a try. Don't think the JJ move up forward is working. JJ is more benefit to us rebounding out of the back line. Keep Webby up forward and give him have a prolonged period in the side without the fear of being dropped. Give him a chance to feel a part of the team and settle into a role.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I know right - but the trouble is no one in footy can actually DO that. Until the weekend, Eddie betts was going at less than a goal per game. So giving him a forward line role actually makes his life harder rather than easier...
    Oh I didn't mean to imply he'd kick 1-2 goals every game. More that if he could kick or contribute goals (assists, blocking, pressure etc) on a somewhat regular basis his lack of possessions becomes less of an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Oh I didn't mean to imply he'd kick 1-2 goals every game. More that if he could kick or contribute goals (assists, blocking, pressure etc) on a somewhat regular basis his lack of possessions becomes less of an issue.
    Hope he plays well tomorrow night and that he is in the back-half. Agree he can’t find it much but he is beat with the ball when he does have it.

Get the feeling he is the current Gilbert before Eade came on board and put him in the Backline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Hope he plays well tomorrow night and that he is in the back-half. Agree he can’t find it much but he is beat with the ball when he does have it.

Get the feeling he is the current Gilbert before Eade came on board and put him in the Backline.
    He's spent no time this year training with the back line players He's now being groomed more as a half forward who also rotates through the midfield. Needs to get 4 games in a row to find his feet.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's spent no time this year training with the back line players He's now being groomed more as a half forward who also rotates through the midfield. Needs to get 4 games in a row to find his feet.
    Obviously meant "Gilbee" with my previous comment . The Auto-Correct on the IPhone strikes again!

7. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Club giving him too much grace given the injury he sustained late in the season because unfortunately he should’ve been prime for delisting imo (other than for him still holding another year of a contract) ?

He’s obviously dealing with a significant neck related injury, which even if he could break into the 22, may seriously impede his ability to show his worth in 2019. With further and significant doubt also on Liam returning to full force in 2019, and also carrying a high risk of injury recurrence with Tory, is it a wise call to be carrying 3 players on our list with such a risk over them.

I’m personally comfortable to retain Liam and Tory for the potential upside, and also for their wonderful service, but feel that we should’ve made the ‘tough’ call on Lukas to address some greater list need.

Where do we see Lukas on our list?

9. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Is the Club giving him too much grace given the injury he sustained late in the season because unfortunately he should’ve been prime for delisting imo (other than for him still holding another year of a contract) ?

He’s obviously dealing with a significant neck related injury which even if he could break into the 22 may seriously impede his ability to show his worth in 2019. With further and significant doubt also on Liam returning to full force in 2019, and also carrying a high risk of injury recurrence with Tory is it a wise to be carrying 3 players on our list with such a risk over them.

I’m comfortable to retain Liam and Tory for the potential upside and for their wonderful service but feel that we should’ve made the ‘tough’ call on Lukas to address some greater list need.

Where do we see Lukas Webb on our list?
    Needing to do a lot to avoid delisting in straight talking terms.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think he struggles to go past 2019 and yes his contract and injury has saved him.
    I agree that a tough call could have and perhaps should have been made. There was even the option of moving him to the rookie list.

He just hasn't displayed the leg speed and ball winning ability required.
    He's done well at the VFL level but just hasn't made the most of his chances at the senior level.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he could still become a solid depth AFL player, if his neck injury subsides. Not the guy who is a lock for every game, but one who can play a role and maybe get lucky for more games if playing well should selection constraints allow it.

He's not quick, but he's clean and has proven he can win the ball and use it well at the lower level. With a good preseason he could be a player who surprises with an upturn in form by translating some of the ball winning shown at the lower level into senior level form.

He's on the list, get behind him and think about the good things he can do.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We retained him so that he can still have access to our rehab staff; he's not going to play again because it's incredibly rare for any person playing a contact sport to return after a fractured/broken neck and doubly so for someone that just isn't that great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    We retained him so that he can still have access to our rehab staff; he's not going to play again because it's incredibly rare for any person playing a contact sport to return after a fractured/broken neck and doubly so for someone that just isn't that great.
    Are you sure about that Testekill? Because as an example there is a huge difference between 'not going to' or 'unlikely to'

Webb did OK as a defender in his first season and I wonder if he might done better had they not tried to remodel him as a midfielder
    With a bit if luck on the injury front he still might have a season that gets him playing some good football

Post Thanks / Like

Why hasn't the club actually made a statement on his condition?

Hopefully he can return to full fitness to give himself a chance.

If he can, I would like to see us play him in his preferred senior position - half back.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is still wearing a neck brace in his IG photos. Whether he has the talent or not to succeed, I don’t know, but I really fear for him if he does play again. It seems unlikely he could confidently and fearlessly put his head over the ball when he has to, and I’d be shuddering every time he does.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

20. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    He is still wearing a neck brace in his IG photos. Whether he has the talent or not to succeed, I don’t know, but I really fear for him if he does play again. It seems unlikely he could confidently and fearlessly put his head over the ball when he has to, and I’d be shuddering every time he does.
    That's how I feel with Picken too, except knowing that he will throw himself 100% into contests. I feel almost physically sick just thinking what another bad concussion could do to him, his health and his family. He owes the club and fans nothing. I have such a sickening fear about him receiving another concussion. I wish he had retired for my selfish reasons, I won't be able to sit comfortably when the ball is within 20m of him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lukas Webb was on the same train carriage as me on the way to Flemington for Derby Day today. He was with Luke Dahlhaus and still had his neck brace on.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

23. Likes Doc26 liked this post