Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lukas Webb in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    His kicking for goal seems pretty good, and kicking inside 50 is pretty good too.
    Yes...but kicking is his least useful skill...because he cannot get the ball.

I know that sounds appalling but the kid just can't get the pill...how skilled he is? That is such a secondary issue at the moment.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I know that sounds appalling but the kid just can't get the pill...how skilled he is? That is such a secondary issue at the moment.
    That's the dilemma with Lukas. We seem to be running out of roles he can play for that very reason. So I was trying to think of a role that doesn't involve a lot of touches, but can use his skill set to advantage. I think the last role left is medium forward. Or perhaps, there's no role for him right now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He seems to at least have have smarts/nouse in the forward 50. If he's only getting a few touches a game but being damaging with them, helping create space for other forwards and working hard defensively then it might be a good fit.

10-15 possessions with 1-2 goals as a forward looks a lot better that 10-19 possessions as a mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He seems to at least have have smarts/nouse in the forward 50. If he's only getting a few touches a game but being damaging with them, helping create space for other forwards and working hard defensively then it might be a good fit.

10-15 possessions with 1-2 goals as a forward looks a lot better that 10-19 possessions as a mid.
    Maybe he could cover for Dickson as his career is nearly over. ( not being smart , just injuries and age becoming a factor)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The block two weeks ago to let Tommy Boyd get a clear lead out (and goal) was a very good non-stat. I'd like to see others do that as when Tom spends 90 seconds a quarter up forward, he's double or tripled teamed or blocked himself.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't Webb primarily been played as a half forward in the AFL over the past few years?

I agree he hasn't shown an ability to win much of the ball in senior level, but I'd also argue we have played him out of position. Half back looked his more natural position as a junior and as a first year player but he's never been played back since.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The block two weeks ago to let Tommy Boyd get a clear lead out (and goal) was a very good non-stat. I'd like to see others do that as when Tom spends 90 seconds a quarter up forward, he's double or tripled teamed or blocked himself.
    90 seconds up forward? Surely Tom was just following the other ruckman down there if we allowed the anomaly of Boyd being in the forward 50.

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I can't see him making it as an AFL player - I hope he does, but looks like another compensation pick gone wrong (pick 27 which we got for Higgins)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't see him making it as an AFL player - I hope he does, but looks like another compensation pick gone wrong (pick 27 which we got for Higgins)
    We lost big on this one.

Once again, we played Higgins out of position as a half back when it was clear he was a half forward who could take turns in the midfield.

Perhaps there's a bit of hindsight in this one, but we didn't entice Higgins to stay so there's no wonder his performances improved when he went to a club who wanted him and played him in his preferred position/s.

Post Thanks / Like

He is a good contested mark on occasions....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We lost big on this one.

Once again, we played Higgins out of position as a half back when it was clear he was a half forward who could take turns in the midfield.

Perhaps there's a bit of hindsight in this one, but we didn't entice Higgins to stay so there's no wonder his performances improved when he went to a club who wanted him and played him in his preferred position/s.
    Higgins fell out with BMacc and wanted out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We lost big on this one.

He spent most of his early years as a forward who would take occasional stints in the midfield. His lack of defensive accountability and work rate meant we had to move him, especially as we had several senior players who were equally as bad (Johnson, Gia, Cooney etc.) His defensive efforts as a halfback were equally poor mind you, and I for one was happy to see him go (and still am with hindsight)
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I can imagine Webb playing that half forward role if he develops his opportunism. If he takes a leaf out of Macrae's book and just places himself in good positions to receive a 15 mtr pass. With ball in hand he has the kicking skills to goal and to pass. He has been contesting in packs for Footscray so knows how to borrow under but what about learning the Lolly Bamblett way of blitzing at speed through and past packs and taking the ball with you? Maybe Webb can develop that sort of skill if played as a half forward.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I can imagine Webb playing that half forward role if he develops his opportunism. If he takes a leaf out of Macrae's book and just places himself in good positions to receive a 15 mtr pass. With ball in hand he has the kicking skills to goal and to pass. He has been contesting in packs for Footscray so knows how to borrow under but what about learning the Lolly Bamblett way of blitzing at speed through and past packs and taking the ball with you? Maybe Webb can develop that sort of skill if played as a half forward.
    I think 'placing himself' in the right spots is his issue. He just doesn't seem to be able to get to the areas to attract the handball receives.

Unfortunately positioning as a mid at AFL level is somewhat innate - you have it and it can be developed, or you don't and you will struggle to make it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I know right - but the trouble is no one in footy can actually DO that. Until the weekend, Eddie betts was going at less than a goal per game. So giving him a forward line role actually makes his life harder rather than easier...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.