Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  72
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Period Reactions

Ins: Josh Schache, Hayden Crozier, pick 16, Fremantle's 2018 4th rounder; plus Jackson Trengove as a FA
    Outs: Jake Stringer, pick 28, pick 41, 2018 2nd rounder

The Stringer deal has been justified slightly with the inclusion of Schache and maintaining 16. The bluster around this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I believe they did the right thing by not accepting 11 for Stringer and 26 at the start - at that stage we did not know whether Geelong or Carlton or anyone else would come back in. The final trade of (effectively) Stringer and our 2018 2nd rounder for 16 and 40 is not significantly different, and given Jake's attitude (he'd already posed for photos in the Essendon jumper ffs) he could not come back.

I did not expect the Schache deal to go the way it did, with Brisbane giving him up very cheaply in the end.

Crozier and Trengove were both added for nothing.

Losing our 2018 second rounder but gaining the Fremantle 2018 fourth rounder is a clear loss - will be interesting how that works from a points perspective.

Overall, we have come home with a rush in my eye to end up with a winning period overall. Stringer's toxicity leaves alongside his talent, but to replace him with a top 2 pick in Schache and the potential to get another high level talent at 16 is an adequate result. Gaining Crozier and Trengove for nothing pushes it above a pass mark. 6/10 overall

2. Thanks GVGjr, The Adelaide Connection, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast, Smads57, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Period Reactions

Finally the club is in remission. We really should be celebrating that the entire Stringer camp has been cut out and we can begin to heal. Who cares that Essendon got him cheap, a short term win for them but more importantly a long term win for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to start a 'debrief' thread, thank you for taking the time JD.

Given we were trying to offload a lazy, selfish *!*!*!*!wit who only had eyes for one club, I think we've salvaged the week as best we could in the last hour.

Going into the draft with 9 and 16 as our live picks is a positive and if Scache's head is right, we'll be laughing in a couple of years.

Trengove is a player type we've been crying out for and he will help the development of Cordy and Collins immeasurably. Crozier is a great value edition as well.

I'm not ecstatic but I'm not filthy either.

Post Thanks / Like

If we hadn't lost our 2nd rounder next year, I'd consider it close to even under the circumstances but that pick turns it into a loss.

6. Likes Go_Dogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade period reaction here:

Thank f**k it's over.

And I never wish to hear of Stringer again. He ballsed up, we ballsed up getting rid of him and it all made my head hurt.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

8. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the summary from somebody on another thread:
    Our useable picks this year have gone from 9 and 28 to 9 and 16.
    We have added Schache, Crozier and Trengove for Stringer and next year's second.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I liked the summary from somebody on another thread:
    Our useable picks this year have gone from 9 and 28 to 9 and 16.
    We have added Schache, Crozier and Trengove for Stringer and next year's second.
    Yes that certainly looks more positive to my eyes after my tears of anger
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Happy with what we achieved. Two first round picks. Stringer had to go for mine, so to end up with Schache and Pick 16 at the end of the day i'm happy.

Losing the second round for next year hurts but still plenty of chances to trade back into it next year.

From a PR perspective we copped a hiding, not sure the silent approach works. Need to be better on this front
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

13. Likes Raw Toast, ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure there is much the club could have done on the PR front during the trade, but I would like us to come out swinging now.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Not sure there is much the club could have done on the PR front during the trade, but I would like us to come out swinging now.
    Although it would be satisfying for a moment, it wouldn't do us any good in the longer term... I've had my emotional roller coaster for the day!

We can just quietly respond to bragging Essendon fans with some in-house home truths about Jake in the pub... Keep the gunpowder dry, for now.

16. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty happy at the end of the trade period with our position and players and picks. Been a very stressful few weeks since the Stringer saga broke. Glad it’s over!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Replaced stringer with schache. Good result in the end. He could be a bust. Or he could be great. Worth the risk. Trengove and crozier are good ins. Hopefully 9 and 16 we can work some magic. The draft looks weak this year. But always bargains to be found in hindsight

Post Thanks / Like

Added strength to a weak spine and removed a cancer on the playing group. If the boys knuckle down and regain the hunger that drove the 2016 campaign, I think we'll be playing finals again next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giansiraccuser View Post
    Added strength to a weak spine and removed a cancer on the playing group. If the boys knuckle down and regain the hunger that drove the 2016 campaign, I think we'll be playing finals again next year.
    If we dont play finals i would be very surprised. Hunger should be back. Talent is there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    If we dont play finals i would be very surprised. Hunger should be back. Talent is there.
    I guess the good news is we won a premiership with Jake contributing next the nothing the second half of that year so on that front we haven't lost a lot.

23. Likes Eastdog liked this post