Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Period Reactions

I think we did well under the circumstances. Stringer had to go. Only one club wanted him. Our hands were tied. I am quite happy with the result overall.

Post Thanks / Like

Give or take:

Start: 9, 28, 43 and Stringer (toxic virus)
    End: 9, 16, Schache, Tengove & Crozier (& 2018 4th Freo, (guess circa 61) less 2018 2nd to Carlton (guess circa 30))

So around a 12 pick upgrade into the first round & Schache for Stringer, with a 30 pick drop next year to secure the deal. That doesn't sound brilliant. But that said, the initial offer we were stupid not to accept was to give us 11 and lose 28. That would've meant no Schache or losing Jong or similar to get Schache.

So by coping a public battering for 10 days, we got a similar upgrade, plus we got Schache, plus we didn't have to trade Jong or similar out in the process. So waiting for things to open up was worth it. We have a top 10 pick for the first time in a while, plus another first rounder and a kid who went pick 2. So that sounds a lot better.

Holistically, we added a FB/CHB plus a FF/CHF plus a neat player who can play multiple roles. So we've traded for needs. Now to draft the best (hopefully gun mids) with 9 & 16.

Longer, we didn't spend our salary cap bank so JMacs replacement will move things around to have it freed next year. Plus we add in $500,000 not being paid to Stringer and we have a war chest of salary cap if we can convince a big name to come our way. Next year we have possible acquisitions of Rhylee West & Buku Khamis who as young prospects may add some variety. With Kellett & Oliver Liberatore the year after as more potential young mids.

It's not a stunning result, but we passed the exam. If and when Dal nails two more very good players I'm not sure we will be overly scrutinising all the aspects. We live in the now, and now it's pretty good. The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Trade week would be unbearable without woof. That's my reaction.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

4. Thanks GVGjr, Topdog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Give or take:

Start: 9, 28, 43 and Stringer (toxic virus)
    End: 9, 16, Schache, Tengove & Crozier (& 2018 4th Freo, (guess circa 61) less 2018 2nd to Carlton (guess circa 30))

So around a 12 pick upgrade into the first round & Schache for Stringer, with a 30 pick drop next year to secure the deal. That doesn't sound brilliant. But that said, the initial offer we were stupid not to accept was to give us 11 and lose 28. That would've meant no Schache or losing Jong or similar to get Schache.

So by coping a public battering for 10 days, we got a similar upgrade, plus we got Schache, plus we didn't have to trade Jong or similar out in the process. So waiting for things to open up was worth it. We have a top 10 pick for the first time in a while, plus another first rounder and a kid who went pick 2. So that sounds a lot better.

Holistically, we added a FB/CHB plus a FF/CHF plus a neat player who can play multiple roles. So we've traded for needs. Now to draft the best (hopefully gun mids) with 9 & 16.

Longer, we didn't spend our salary cap bank so JMacs replacement will move things around to have it freed next year. Plus we add in $500,000 not being paid to Stringer and we have a war chest of salary cap if we can convince a big name to come our way. Next year we have possible acquisitions of Rhylee West & Buku Khamis who as young prospects may add some variety. With Kellett & Oliver Liberatore the year after as more potential young mids.

It's not a stunning result, but we passed the exam. If and when Dal nails two more very good players I'm not sure we will be overly scrutinising all the aspects. We live in the now, and now it's pretty good. The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.
    Regarding the $500K not being paid to Stringer - wouldn't we be paying more than that to Schache? If I recall correctly, he re-signed with the Lions on a decent contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Think we got unders for Stringer but paid unders for Schache, I can live with that.

Trengrove is a good get but think on market value we paid overs for Crozier. Fringe players that don't want to be there have no value in today's market. Don't know why he's worth more than Kobe was last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Regarding the $500K not being paid to Stringer - wouldn't we be paying more than that to Schache? If I recall correctly, he re-signed with the Lions on a decent contract.
    Somewhere this week I recall it was early $300's.

Overall, I just add up the salaries of Bob, Boyd, Stringer, Crameri, Honey & Hamilton. Add in Tengove on modest money, and I don't think Crozier is on too much. Plus Schache and three recruits. I think we are a long way ahead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The future looks bright too, provided I take over from JMac and bring in Rory Sloane next year.
    Come on ... walk the walk 😀 you would have all our support 😁
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like some media trade reactions - afl.com.au

The trade (for Schache) paves the way for the Bulldogs to sport one of the competition's best key forward combinations, with Schache joining 2013's No.1 draft pick Tom Boyd.

We see a great combination between both those players. (Chris Grant)

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn't handle things as well as probably could have but the net result is quite reasonable in the circumstances. The market didn't come for Stringer so we were never going to get maximum value.

Casting aside the trade manipulations the net result was basically;

Stringer for a pick upgrade from 28 to 16
    Schache for a 2018 2nd rounder
    Crozier for pick 41
    Trengove for free

When have we ever had so much key position depth?

When have we ever had key forwards drafted at number 1 & number 2 and at the same time?

Time will tell but not a bad result in my view.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Likes Dry Rot, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it is over, the future 2nd rounder has me scratching my head but the team did the best with what they could. I have mixed emotions re stringer but the considered comments from others well more in the loop than I suggests the right decision was made. I just hope he can eventually come back to the club as a premiership player as one of the 22 that broke the drought, and that his former team mates have a few more medals than the one he has ��

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I liked the summary from somebody on another thread:
    Our useable picks this year have gone from 9 and 28 to 9 and 16.
    We have added Schache, Crozier and Trengove for Stringer and next year's second.
    Well I didn't ring the club this arvo and cancel my membership so I guess we've come out of it ok in the end
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes Twodogs, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere this week I recall it was early $300's.

Overall, I just add up the salaries of Bob, Boyd, Stringer, Crameri, Honey & Hamilton. Add in Tengove on modest money, and I don't think Crozier is on too much. Plus Schache and three recruits. I think we are a long way ahead.
    Will Crammer's get a contract?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Will Crammer's get a contract?
    Nope. We need to find two spots to open up, and only have two uncontracted primary list players. Honey & Stew.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, the majority of what I'm reading all feels a bit kool-aidey. Schache "mitigation" aside, we just lost one of the most talented players to walk into the club in the last 30 years for flotsam, gave up a future second in a ~!SUPERDRAFT!~ for the privilege, and all we have to justify it are vague notions of a premiership player currently away on holidays with members of the playing group as some sort of insidious cancer on it.

I'm still furious. We did poorly and just because another club did even worse is no excuse.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gotta say, the majority of what I'm reading all feels a bit kool-aidey. Schache "mitigation" aside, we just lost one of the most talented players to walk into the club in the last 30 years for flotsam, gave up a future second in a ~!SUPERDRAFT!~ for the privilege, and all we have to justify it are vague notions of a premiership player currently away on holidays with members of the playing group as some sort of insidious cancer on it.

I'm still furious. We did poorly and just because another club did even worse is no excuse.
    Fevola was pretty talented as well. A Carlton-following mate of mine told me during the dark days, him and his mates would go to the footy just to watch Fevola and see how many goals he could kick, knowing full well they would be beaten 99% of the time.
    Most talented player in 30 years that hardly any other club wanted to touch. Saying something isn't it. At what price does the talent come if it unsettles the whole team? No worries I would have loved us to try and turn him around. But in the end only time will tell.

Have to wait and see, but given some of the rumours and lack of interest from other clubs ( indicating serious issues ) , can any of us deny that actually it could turn out to be the best decision?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

22. Likes Dry Rot, macca, Raw Toast liked this post