Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 23 of 141 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not sure contracts mean what they used to. And you have to give up something of value to get something of value. JJ is tradable in my estimation, for the right trade.
    He has business interests in Victoria and resisted attempts to lure him back to WA. Why on Earth would he want to break his contract and head to SA, let alone Adelaide who have the worst player retention in the competition (yes on past years they just shade Brisbane)?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Didn't the AFL say that teams can just keep anticipating points from coming years for as many years into the future as they like? That sounds to me like we can spare the future points this year because we can effectilvely keep postponing paying back by borrowing points from the next year.
    Yes, and it sounds like we'll have two FS picks to consider next year which means we get 20% discounts on each. Any deficits we rack up this year might just be taken care of by 2019 discounts anyway, although I expect us to lose a couple of players to FA this year (Wallis and Roughy seem gone, and despite Dahl's desire to stay we may just be low-balling him to force his hand).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, and it sounds like we'll have two FS picks to consider next year which means we get 20% discounts on each. Any deficits we rack up this year might just be taken care of by 2019 discounts anyway, although I expect us to lose a couple of players to FA this year (Wallis and Roughy seem gone, and despite Dahl's desire to stay we may just be low-balling him to force his hand).
    It looks more and more that we will lose some FAs this off season. The club is virtually daring them to go.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to play Roughead a lot between now and the end of the year. Get his 1st ruck numbers up, and fatten him up for Geelong to take him off our hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think we need to play Roughead a lot between now and the end of the year. Get his 1st ruck numbers up, and fatten him up for Geelong to take him off our hands.
    The trouble is he will likely hurt himself in 37 different ways between now and the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    They're all over Lycett from WCE though. I know who'd I'd prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

Its an interesting conundrum we find ourselves in. If we want to keep pick 5 and get West and Khamis we obviously need to let a few go that are decent quality. What that means though is we may only have 3-4 picks after trading up for points( As GVGjr has discussed) which leaves quite a few players on our list that have big question marks against them.

Id prefer to keep Wallis and Dahl I think we can get both players back on track, but you need to give something to get something. Unfortunately Roughead won't be enough to get us back into the second round. Would Jong still have a little currency? 3rd rounder like Roughy? If we do go down this path its going to be more than refresh thats for sure but I have feeling Bevo is gonna play the long game.

Post Thanks / Like

BULLDOGS CEO PROVIDES ROUGHEAD AND WALLIS UPDATE

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains says the club is hopeful of retaining restricted free agents Jordan Roughead and Mitch Wallis.

Both players have been in and out of the senior squad this season and have found their names in the rumour mill, but Bains says no conversations have been had with Wallis about looking elsewhere.

“He clearly has got a strong Bulldog pedigree and is someone who is really popular within the football club,” he told SEN Breakfast about Wallis.

“It has been challenging for him at different times having been in and out of the side.

“We are hopeful that he can continue his upward trajectory with his form and really cement himself both for the reminder of the season and beyond.”

Bains also clarified comments made by coach Luke Beveridge in the media about Roughead’s future.

“I think what’s happened, a lot more direct questions are now asked of coaches at press conferences and certainly with respect to Roughy, I think Bevo’s starting point is we have been negotiating with his manager for a chunk of the season and want to retain him,” he said.

“It was more an expression of him being in and out of the side, and wanting him to find his best form in the context of helping the team, rather than his contract situation.

“It’s been a difficult period for him with his form.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Dahl?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What about Dahl?
    Probably wasn't asked that question.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Its an interesting conundrum we find ourselves in. If we want to keep pick 5 and get West and Khamis we obviously need to let a few go that are decent quality. What that means though is we may only have 3-4 picks after trading up for points( As GVGjr has discussed) which leaves quite a few players on our list that have big question marks against them.
    Disagree. We can take each with our next available pick after they are nominated, and if we're in deficit we can take that into the 2019 draft.
    We'll have two FS picks in 2019 as well so it's possible that two of our first three 2019 picks will attract the 20% discount as FS picks anyway which may well account for any deficit.

13. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wines just re-signed long term at Port - and given the structural change the AFL is ready to implement I'm not sure committing to a big-money inside mid would have been the best (or at least not a risk-aversive) decision anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wines just re-signed long term at Port - and given the structural change the AFL is ready to implement I'm not sure committing to a big-money inside mid would have been the best (or at least not a risk-aversive) decision anyway.
    He'll be their next captain and is a pure gun. He can hit the scoreboard too which not many inside mids can do regularly (e.g. Macrae and Libba).

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to need to be a huge trade year for us.

There are some huge holes in our playing list.
    And some huge gluts.

I have deliberately left quite a few recent draftees out of this discussion as some of them are very good and some of them I don’t really have a handle on yet.

Nevertheless………..

We have a huge oversupply of mid-sized, mid-paced players with questionable foot skills.

3. Mitch Wallis
    5. Josh Dunkley
    6. Luke Dahlhaus
    7. Lachie Hunter
    14. Clay Smith
    19. Lukas Webb
    22. Mitch Honeychurch
    24. Shane Biggs
    46. Lin Jong

We have a surplus of tall defenders

2. Lewis Young
    8. Jackson Trengove
    12. Zaine Cordy
    18. Fletcher Roberts
    25. Marcus Adams
    32. Kieran Collins
    33. Aaron Naughton
    38. Dale Morris

We have a swathe of rebounding defenders.

Matthew Suckling
    9. Hayden Crozier
    10. Easton Wood
    20. Ed Richards
    34. Bailey Williams
    39. Jason Johannisen.

And ruck men? Not too many, but one that never gets a game (Campbell) and one (Boyd) who I think should be played as a permanent forward.

15. Tom Campbell
    17. Tom Boyd
    23. Jordan Roughead
    44. Tim English

We simply can’t maintain this list profile and be competitive.

We lack genuine foot speed and foot skills, and we have no small menacing goalsneaks.

We need to lose some from each of these groups, although I’d keep all the players in the rebounding defenders group unless we get a big offer for Johanissen. And frankly, since he won the Norm Smith he’s been playing a pretty selfish, show pony, unaccountable, ‘look at me’ and look at my ‘crazy hairstyle’ game. It’s starting to wear pretty thin with me. Particularly his insistence on demanding the ball from someone having a set shot and then proceeding to miss time and time and time again. And I guess we’re stuck with Crozier for the time being. Let’s hope he continues to improve. And as far as the ruck group goes, I think Campbell probably deserves more game time than he’s getting. So for his own sake he probably wants to move on.

The top group is the hardest. I’d hate to trade out any father/sons. I just don’t like the look/feel of it. And I still think there’s a lot of talent in Hunter. And Wallis is a very reliable meat and potatoes type. Actually not bad by foot, pretty reliable as a set shot, just not a long strong kick, and we need guys who can break lines with their kicking. But I know Wallis bleeds red white and blue and I would hate to see him in another guernsey. I’ll say right here and now, to me he’s a definite keeper.

Honeychurch is a no brainer. Delist or trade.

Biggs is so hopelessly out of form it’s delist or trade.

Smith should retire I think while his knees will still let him walk.

And Jong, I’m just afraid he’s surplus to our needs in that group. Even when fit and in the team he doesn’t provide us with what we really need. Yeah he’s strong and fast and brave, but he still can’t kick well consistently, and if he was the only one who couldn’t kick well, you could carry him. Unfortunately he’s in a conga line of guys who can’t kick. I actually love him, but this is about logic and strategy, we can’t be too touchy feely.

Dahlhaus is a pretty important figure at the club marketing wise, and if he was moved on it would be a very unpopular move. VERY unpopular. But gee his kicking has gone so far backwards, that he’s almost literally kicking backwards these days. He can’t make the distance on a set shot from 30 metres out. If someone threw a big offer down and we could get the free agency………………geez you’d have to consider it. We simply need to weed out some of these types.

I’d even let Dunkley go if someone came after him with a decent offer.

Webb. Maybe better by foot than the rest, but little or no trade value, and just doesn’t get the ball enough in his senior appearances.

We need to cull 4/5 players from that group.

Then there’s the tall defenders.

We simply have too many. But none of them are worth much on the open market except probably Naughton (and we’ll be keeping him of course.)

Roberts, definitely out. Retire or trade for peanuts.

Marcus Adams, good player but so often injured his trade value isn’t what he’s actually worth as a player. An offer from a WA club perhaps?

Kieran Collins? Maybe someone is still keen on him from his draft year performances but his trade worth is certainly not gonna be much.

Trengove we’re stuck with ala Crozier.

Morris. His last year? Maybe one more…just…but no trade there.

Young, no trade value and still an untapped talent. So keep.

Either way, we can’t keep them all on our list in my opinion.

We have pick 5 (pretty sure that won’t change) and we need points for West and Khamis.

We need pace and foot skills, pace and foot skills, pace and foot skills, rinse and repeat.

Please discuss

17. Thanks Bulldog4life, bulldogtragic, Twodogs, GVGjr, Doc26, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes chef, The Doctor, Dry Rot, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Disagree. We can take each with our next available pick after they are nominated, and if we're in deficit we can take that into the 2019 draft.
    We'll have two FS picks in 2019 as well so it's possible that two of our first three 2019 picks will attract the 20% discount as FS picks anyway which may well account for any deficit.
    Dont you need the points to take them at the pick they are nominated at? Its not as simple as taking them at your next pick. Thats the old rule your thinking of. We may be required to give up numerous selections to get both West and Khamis.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-2...cademy-players