Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 70 of 141 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2111
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

I'll add that the sentiment seems to be the Cats have signed him on as a "pressure forward" despite no indication in the last like 6 years that he can play as a full-time forward, let alone as one as demanded by the current AFL landscape.

To give up this much money for Dahl to play the position he has been excellent at I'd understand, but seems a huge risk to pay this much for the role they've earmarked for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'll add that the sentiment seems to be the Cats have signed him on as a "pressure forward" despite no indication in the last like 6 years that he can play as a full-time forward, let alone as one as demanded by the current AFL landscape.

To give up this much money for Dahl to play the position he has been excellent at I'd understand, but seems a huge risk to pay this much for the role they've earmarked for him.
    As I have previously posted, his career goals:

2018 2
    2017 13
    2016 9
    2015 17
    2014 17
    2013 28
    2012 13
    2011 11
    Total Career 110
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks AshMac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Hawthorn have been lauded by many for their list mgt in the past few years in a bid for them to stay up near the pointy end of the ladder, but in doing so had to make the tough calls on the likes of Hodge, Mitchell & Lewis who's output on the field was probably more than Luke's given respective B&F finishes. If Luke was finishing in the top 5 of our B&F which shouldn't be a stretch given his age & experience he would've been signed up months ago, but sadly he has just been a bit part performer.

Whilst Geelong seem to know what they are doing they've been stuck in the bottom part of the top 8 for the best of this decade and if they believe that adding Luke will help them make the jump then go for it, but on what he's shown recently I can't see him making that much of a difference given the age demographics of their best 22 and teh level of talent coming up from beneath.

It's a new world for players with FA taking effect and we're just going to have to get used to players leaving when common ground can't be found, it certainly sucks losing players who have given us so much joy, but the harsh reality is that it's going to be more and more common given the differing paths clubs will take to reach the top of the pile.
    They're all fair points and if Dahl was maybe a couple of years older or our list was a bit more balanced then yeah I'd probably be more on board with it, of course I'd be disappointed but could live with it. He's at an age which is what we need, more experience is needed in this team, not less. I've adapted to watching players come and go, it hurts but it's part of modern AFL and I move on pretty quickly however what I hate about this is that one of the main reasons for letting him go is to get the compo and help net us West. OK that's great, we get West who should be a nice player for us......... (takes a breath) however, maybe if we didn't piss away our 2nd round pick in last years trade debacle we would have had more flexibility and hung onto someone like Dahlhaus for a little longer. It's our piss poor decisions that we patted ourselves on the back for in 2017 pushing players out the door to rectify them. That is something I can't take and certainly won't applaud them for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    however, maybe if we didn't piss away our 2nd round pick in last years trade debacle
    What trade debacle is that? The one that netted Schache and Richards for Stringer? I know what I prefer, and if it cost us this years 2nd rounder, I don't see a problem.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What trade debacle is that? The one that netted Schache and Richards for Stringer? I know what I prefer, and if it cost us this years 2nd rounder, I don't see a problem.
    It's a flow on effect which is why we're under the pump to get picks now, we knew back then we needed picks in 2018. We could have got 16 or around that area without giving up our 2018 2nd rounder, we just had to move earlier on the Stringer deal which could have got us around the same range.

Richards will be great for us, Schache I'm not sold on.

Post Thanks / Like

They're all fair points and if Dahl was maybe a couple of years older or our list was a bit more balanced then yeah I'd probably be more on board with it, of course I'd be disappointed but could live with it. He's at an age which is what we need, more experience is needed in this team, not less. I've adapted to watching players come and go, it hurts but it's part of modern AFL and I move on pretty quickly however what I hate about this is that one of the main reasons for letting him go is to get the compo and help net us West. OK that's great, we get West who should be a nice player for us......... (takes a breath) however, maybe if we didn't piss away our 2nd round pick in last years trade debacle we would have had more flexibility and hung onto someone like Dahlhaus for a little longer. It's our piss poor decisions that we patted ourselves on the back for in 2017 pushing players out the door to rectify them. That is something I can't take and certainly won't applaud them for it.
    Valid response, but regardless of the need to gather points for West or not if we wanted to match Geelong both in terms of length of contract & monetary value we would've, but Luke at 26 isn't worthy of this sort of deal based on current output and that is what the decision should be based on... If we wanted both we would've found a way to get the necessary points so I don't see this decison being related.

And whilst my feelings on our previous list manager is known I believe we made the best out of a bad situation last year and whilst losing a 2nd round pick for this year was far from ideal adding Naughton, Richards & Schache to the list was a huge win.

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Valid response, but regardless of the need to gather points for West or not if we wanted to match Geelong both in terms of length of contract & monetary value we would've, but Luke at 26 isn't worthy of this sort of deal based on current output and that is what the decision should be based on... If we wanted both we would've found a way to get the necessary points so I don't see this decison being related.

And whilst my feelings on our previous list manager is known I believe we made the best out of a bad situation last year and whilst losing a 2nd round pick for this year was far from ideal adding Naughton, Richards & Schache to the list was a huge win.
    It did feel like a Steve Bradbury win though

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy we got in Schache. He had his 21st birthday 4 days before the last game - and we're talking about a No.2 pick, 200cms with plenty of body development left in him to help him improve. Kicked 17 goals in 13 games, adjusting to a new club, who was playing fairly poorly for most of that time.

Hardly think last year was a debacle. Naughton will be the best tall out of the draft. Richards is an absolute beauty, and Schache on top of that.

Couldn't agree more with Mantis' post, re Hawthorn making tough calls on players, and Geelong focusing on a 'top up' approach since Chris Scott has been at the club. In that time, they are 3-8 in finals (3-9 after Friday night). The top ups aren't taking them from the 5-8 range into Grand Finals and I'm not sure why a small player is what they are chasing as another top up when they are absolutely crying out for a ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm happy we got in Schache. He had his 21st birthday 4 days before the last game - and we're talking about a No.2 pick, 200cms with plenty of body development left in him to help him improve. Kicked 17 goals in 13 games, adjusting to a new club, who was playing fairly poorly for most of that time.

Hardly think last year was a debacle. Naughton will be the best tall out of the draft. Richards is an absolute beauty, and Schache on top of that.

Couldn't agree more with Mantis' post, re Hawthorn making tough calls on players, and Geelong focusing on a 'top up' approach since Chris Scott has been at the club. In that time, they are 3-8 in finals (3-9 after Friday night). The top ups aren't taking them from the 5-8 range into Grand Finals and I'm not sure why a small player is what they are chasing as another top up when they are absolutely crying out for a ruckman.

On top of that the club recognises we are young and last year brought in Crozier and Trengove to help in that mid age bracket. I think both were successful.

Bevo has already stated we will be bringing in more mature age players to help balance the list. Of course losing Smith, Biggs and Dahl, all premiership players doesn't help, but all are the right decisions and reasons.

I can see the club trading pick 7 for a very good mid, and bringing in West and Buku as the young players.

The list will look pretty good going into 2019.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. If we got an A grade mid. Shiel. Gaff. Someone of that Ilk. I would let go of pick 7. With libba back at his best and west in. If English comes on next year aswell. For mine Dunkley is the one to watch next year. He will go elite. How McRae didn't make AA is *!*!*!*!en absurd.

Post Thanks / Like

So I broke the news to my little man. After I told him Dahlhaus won't be playing his response was with tears in his eyes "will he come back?" So of course I broke down. He got home from kinder and went to his room with his doll and looking at his birthday card.

I don't remember much about player movement when I was his age but I guess they weren't used for marketing back then either.

15. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What decisions have we made that make you think we're going to get back there anytime soon? If anything we had a chance to be successful and have thrown it away with poor list management. Giving up players in this age bracket and bringing in more 18 year old kids are not going to get us back to the promised land anytime soon. Rolling out younger players and netting draft picks thinking this is the best way to get back to being the best is a dangerous slippery slope.
    Signing Lukey D on a 4/5 year £550k deal would probably have cost us a Dunkley or a McLean in a year or 2. As it stands he isn't in the best 6 midfielders at the club and if Richards develops and West becomes what people anticipate in 2 to 3 years he would have superfluous. Its a hard call, but I think history will show we got this one right.

17. Thanks Funke disco thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I broke the news to my little man. After I told him Dahlhaus won't be playing his response was with tears in his eyes "will he come back?" So of course I broke down. He got home from kinder and went to his room with his doll and looking at his birthday card.

I don't remember much about player movement when I was his age but I guess they weren't used for marketing back then either.
    Man, that's a bit gut wrenching. I'm a parent to a young one too, so I 100% empathise.

The club definitely needs to consider the impact this will have on a generation of young fans that have grown up with Dahl as their favourite player & find his replacement very, very quickly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

20. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well he gets an opportunity to prove me wrong. I hope he does, but I'm not convinced he will.

Liam Picken did in sterling fashion however, so there's always hope.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.