Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 33 of 141 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Banking on natural growth of the playing list is what we expected from a list that had gained finals experience in 2015/16 and it went nowhere. While it should help a bit it more or less comes down to attitude and effort.

And just getting games into some of the younger players won't necessarily lift us up the ladder. In real terms the players that are performing better than 2017 come down to Williams, McLean, Suckling and maybe a couple of others. The likes of Dale, Webb and Daniel have gone backwards this year and I wonder the impact of bringing players in to a side that is disorganised is having on some of our guys.

I think we have a lot of work in front of us. We hid behind the excuses of a supposedly 'late start' in 2017 and now injuries and inexperience in 2018 so I will be interested to see the approach we take of 2019 but I'm not sure we can be too confident that there will be an automatic bounce in 2019.
    We have certainly had some disappointing players since 2016. Their is a lot of discussion around how many players to cut, but we are not going to improve by replacing experience with 18 y-o draftees.

I think we should see 6 to 8 players depart, with Smith and Picken both to retire. I would also retire Redpath despite the year on his contract. Tory Dickson needs to show he can get his body right.

Campbell and Roberts both need to go. Honeychurch has had enough chances and I can't see him taking us forward. Roarke Smith does not give me any reason to retain. There seem to be too many tall options to persevere with Collins.

There has been plenty of suggestion to trade Jong, but I would prefer to trade Daniel. Caleb is too limited in my view, while Lin deserves an opportunity to overcome the setbacks. He does take a good grab and has pace.

I want to keep Wallis, but am unsure of Dahlhaus. The decision must surely be based on dollars and I don't see Luke as worth the sort of money I have seen mentioned.

I would be content to retain Roughead, but only on minimum contract, based on him being the back up playing predominantly at Footscray.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the depth needed over two years (give or take who in which year), based on current performance and leaving trades and rookies aside:

2018: Picken, C. Smith & Dickson (all retired) - Campbell, Biggs, Honeychurch (delisted) - Roughead & Dahl (free agents) --- 8

2019: Morris (retired) - Roberts, Redpath, Webb, Collins, Porter, Greene & Jong (potentially delisted) --- 8

That could be as high as 14-16 spots turned over in two years potentially, leaving aside any trade requests out. That creates a fair few headaches about replacing them without too many speculative picks. We will have two high first rounders, plus three father/sons and maybe three NGA's chewing up mid range picks. So that's 8. Upgrade Gowers & Lynch. So that's 10 spots filled.

So we are facing 4-6 late to very late picks in two years. So I don't mind a speculative late pick, and if the rookie list is still around our speculative picks can be there with many vacancies. So we might have to put a lot more work into draft smokies and state league players, or maybe looking hard at free agency next year for maybe two or more players (ala Port last year). Next year as we won't be losing anyone of value next year, so not losing compo. A good year to buy. Which means putting some money away which we will save big on if this is part of our strategy. Of the gettable types (enough money...) there's Sexton, Swallow & Nicholls (GCS), Casboult (Carl), Tomlinson, Shiel, Haynes, Congilio & Buntine (GWS - hard up on the cap), Ellis (Richmond), Wingard (Port). Plenty of talent, and some depth types. If we could pick up two decent free agent sorts next year, we might only have just one or two late to very late picks for the next two years which would be ideal in not leaving a huge hole in years time if several speculative picks don't make the grade. Using free agency, highly sought after father/sons and likely academy sorts, on top of very high first round picks sounds like the strategy of a big club. Hopefully we do the cutting hard for two years, factor in the players we know we have first dibs on and then aggressively use free agency next year with a lot of salary freed up to balance the list and the list profile out without too much presence at the pick 80-100 range for two years running. Ideally a gun midfielder who can kick goals would be nice in that free agents list (assuming they remain unsigned), but need a better pitch to get them.

A fair bit for Sam Power to do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Picken will be on the list next season

Post Thanks / Like

The writing may be on the wall for Dickson.

Injuries could deny flag-winning Dog a new deal

PREMIERSHIP Bulldog Tory Dickson faces an uphill battle to win a new contract at Whitten Oval due to persistent injuries, says coach Luke Beveridge.

The 30-year-old has played just five games this season due his problematic hamstrings, and registered just nine games in 2017 because of abdominal, adductor and quad complaints.

A 40-goal season from Dickson in the Dogs' 2016 premiership campaign was vital to the club's success, but it appears injuries may have caught up with the goalsneak after 93 games and 153 goals.

Beveridge said Dickson was keen to put misfortune behind him and prove himself on the field.

"(Tory's) had tough 2017 and 2018 (seasons) because we just haven't seen enough of him, and he's had injury after injury, so it is frustrating for him," Beveridge said on Tuesday.

"He's due to come back into full training with the main group next Sunday when we play Port Adelaide in Ballarat, and then hopefully he plays a week after and squeezes a few games in by the end of the year.

"He's a lad that's given great service (to the club), but he's not a 22-year-old, so he's keen to get back and play a few games before the end of the year and work out a way forward beyond that."

Defensive playmaker Matt Suckling is another veteran battling injury, with the former Hawk missing the past month with an ongoing Achilles concern.

Suckling is also out of contract at season's end, but Beveridge expects the 30-year-old to play on next year.

"He's had both Achilles' nagging him over the past two years and we haven't had him at 100 per cent over that duration, which is unfortunate," Beveridge said.

"He's going to try and run this afternoon, and hopefully we can get a few games into him before the season is out.

"We're in talks with his management about 2019, so he'll keep going (next year)."

Beveridge also said Jack Redpath could miss the remainder of the season after the club registered the hulking key forward as indefinite on the club's injury list.

Added to the leadership group this season, the 27-year-old has only played two games due to problems with the knee he had reconstructed in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd imagine we won't keep Dickson or Redpath given they struggle to get on the park. Redpath ruined by knee injuries, Dickson just breaking down. Shame as both are popular clubmen.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd imagine we won't keep Dickson or Redpath given they struggle to get on the park. Redpath ruined by knee injuries, Dickson just breaking down. Shame as both are popular clubmen.
    Power has his work cut out for him.

There are roughly 10-12 players who are right in the gun.

We won't be able to remove them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Power has his work cut out for him.

There are roughly 10-12 players who are right in the gun.

We won't be able to remove them all.
    I want to keep both Wallis and Dahlhaus so hopefully getting those two signatures cuts down Power's work post season.

There's probably 5 or 6 players who are an easy decision and two more (Picken and Morris) who will largely make their own decision, given Picken's contracted and both Bevo and Morris have expressed a desire to go around one more year (which I support).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s see. Here are the current contract status’:

2018:
    Matt Suckling
    Mitch Wallis
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Clay Smith
    Tom Campbell
    Tom Liberatore
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Jordan Roughead
    Shane Biggs
    Tory Dickson

Fergus Greene
    Kieran Collins
    Dale Morris
    Lin Jong
    Brad Lynch (R)
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (R)
    Billy Gowers (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)

2019:
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Lachie Hunter
    Toby McLean
    Fletcher Roberts
    Lukas Webb
    Josh Dunkley
    Patrick Lipinski
    Bailey Dale
    Lewis Young
    Bailey Williams
    Caleb Daniel
    Liam Picken
    Jack Redpath
    Hayden Crozier
    Callum Porter

2020:
    Easton Wood
    Marcus Adams
    Tim English
    Jackson Trengove
    Josh Schache
    Aaron Naughton

2021:
    Tom Boyd
    Ed Richards
    Zaine Cordy

2022:
    Jack Macrae
    Jason Johannisen

Of the 2018 list, we need to let go:
    One of: Campbell or Roughead
    Honeychurch

Smith has retired

Serious questions over Dickson, Collins, Biggs and Jong.

Greene deserves another crack. Of the rookies, NMM will most likely be let go. Lynch and Gowers to be upgraded and Smith a tough call.

That’s 10 potential list cuts right there with 3 potential rookie upgrades.

Assuming all 3 rookies are upgraded, that leaves 7 list spots to fill with not many (3?) useable draft picks.

That’s not even considering Redpath, Webb and Roberts who have contracts for next year but realistically could be offloaded. That puts it to 13 the number of potential cuts. I see Morris and Picken going on again.

If talk is real, how can we possibly let Dahl and Wallis go at the same time? A very interesting offseason awaits
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 18-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.

10. Thanks jeemak, ReLoad, GVGjr, Insufficient Intent, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Twodogs, macca, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Tom Lynch is gone . Wish we were his club of choice . My bet collingwood or hawks are on the preference list

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...18-p4zs6g.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Looks like Tom Lynch is gone . Wish we were his club of choice . My bet collingwood or hawks are on the preference list

I've heard Tigers. Not sure how that works but there you go. Have any historically smaller teams (Dogs, NM, Saints, Melbourne FC) attracted big name free agents or is it disproportionately favouring the bigger sides ? Suckling for us. Can't think of others. Hibberd maybe. North couldn't attract a pacemaker with a magnet.

13. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Richmond has been rumoured to be favourite, but that was before Cyril Rioli retired. Now the Hawks for next year will be freed of his wage, Burgoyne's wage & any residual from Ty Vickery being paid out this year to *!*!*!*! off/allowance that he would've stayed beyond the two years. That and any free cap, maybe even trading Schoenmakers or Landford out, gives them more than enough to match what Richmond could now. Plus there's a link with O'Meara too. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Hawthorn now. And God help us if he does, Roughy becomes second forward, Gunston third forward, Bruest fourth forward, Puopolo in the pocket as the fifth forward with the sixth forward rotating between Smith/Impey/McEvoy/Shiels/O'Meara. That's a lot of ways to score if they can get Lynch.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Richmond has been rumoured to be favourite, but that was before Cyril Rioli retired. Now the Hawks for next year will be freed of his wage, Burgoyne's wage & any residual from Ty Vickery being paid out this year to *!*!*!*! off/allowance that he would've stayed beyond the two years. That and any free cap, maybe even trading Schoenmakers or Landford out, gives them more than enough to match what Richmond could now. Plus there's a link with O'Meara too. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Hawthorn now. And God help us if he does, Roughy becomes second forward, Gunston third forward, Bruest fourth forward, Puopolo in the pocket as the fifth forward with the sixth forward rotating between Smith/Impey/McEvoy/Shiels/O'Meara. That's a lot of ways to score if they can get Lynch.
    Still a shit midfield, as evidenced by their stuttering season. Even with that forward line they are a bottom half of the top 8 team as best next year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Still a shit midfield, as evidenced by their stuttering season. Even with that forward line they are a bottom half of the top 8 team as best next year.
    Yep, I think they need to trade out some players which they've been reluctant to do. If they get Lynch, Tim O'Brien would attract some interest, Schoenmakers might also get interest, Will Landford likewise. If they can move these guys out, and work some magic, they should be able to get a midfielder of some OK repute, one way or another. Plus their pick 10 or so on a midfielder this year. It's still pretty this beyond Mitchell & O'Meara in the centre and Impey, Smith & Shiel rotating on the wings, but another ok type and maybe a big bodied ready to go midfielder at pick 10 (like Dunkley in his first year) then they might be able to wallpaper over the cracks. If they get injuries to their main gun mids, then that's where their list salary cap will be tied up 40-50% in a forward line with limited mids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hawks may not be as good you think. Roughy is struggling and Puopolo is a chance to be delisted at end of year. Gunston is nowhere near the player he was 2/3 years ago and as others have said the midfield is not the best. By all the talk Lynch will nominate Richmond. i think Hawks are fair way off being a power again.

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Hawks may not be as good you think. Roughy is struggling and Puopolo is a chance to be delisted at end of year. Gunston is nowhere near the player he was 2/3 years ago and as others have said the midfield is not the best. By all the talk Lynch will nominate Richmond. i think Hawks are fair way off being a power again.
    I hope you're right!! I just think if they get Lynch everyone else gets a lesser defender, much like when they had Buddy. If Richmond do land him, they will have the dynasty we could've or should've had. They will have to cut a few and a few will leave wanting more opportunities, so maybe there's a chance to get an OK player from them if we are interested in any.