Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Quality person - knew people who played cricket with him and they could not speak highly enough of him, even when he was a late teenager.
    Not sure he leaves Carlton though. They don't want to end up like Melbourne in the Neeld years when they shipped of Joel McDonald then had no leaders as they tried to develop their kids.
    Could be a good leader for our young mids.

In the past I was against taking players around 30 years old, but times have changed and 30 is the new 25.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He'd be a good pick up as cream if we think the cake is good enough. I'm not convinced it is and bringing in a player like that when you're not quite there can hurt the upward trajectory, but If Bevo thinks we're in the window I'd back his judgement and try to make the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Murphy would be a good pickup if we are in the window. I'm not convinced we are but then I didn't think we would win a flag in 2016 either.
    Given it's likely we'll lose Liam and Dale at the end of this year, I'm thinking we'll need to bring in some experience but agree it depends on whether we think we are a realistic chance of finals next year and a genuine crack the following year. If we do, then I'd consider Murphy.

I'm also concerned about the futures of Wallis, Liberatore and Dahl for different reasons, and an experienced high quality midfielder might be required as a priority too.

Quality person - knew people who played cricket with him and they could not speak highly enough of him, even when he was a late teenager.
    Not sure he leaves Carlton though. They don't want to end up like Melbourne in the Neeld years when they shipped of Joel McDonald then had no leaders as they tried to develop their kids.
    It might not be up to Carlton, Murphy might decide for them. However, the AFL will be falling over themselves to give them first round compensation rather than a priority pick, finishing last or second last and having an immediate selection to use after picks one or two would definitely appeal to them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just having a look at the players out of contract this year there seems like it will be a big period for us.
    Add Picken who is contracted to 2019 but could pull the pin:

Matt Suckling (NFL next year?)
    Mitch Wallis (expect him to stay)
    Luke Dahlhaus (expect him to stay)
    Clay Smith (sadly, his knee is stuffed)
    Tom Campbell (not rated by the club it seems)
    Tom Liberatore (will re-sign)
    Mitch Honeychurch (big question marks. Prefer Rhylee)
    Jordan Roughead (tough decision looming)
    Shane Biggs (keep - back him in on a low contract)
    Tory Dickson (perhaps gets the tap on the shoulder)
    Fergus Greene (don't see it, sorry)
    Kieran Collins (comments by Bevo suggest he stays - I don't see it)
    Dale Morris (if he can, give him a year as a playing coach type role)
    Lin Jong (line ball)
    Brad Lynch (R) (not with Ed Richards and Bailey Williams looking good)
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (R) (already have an abundance of talls)
    Billy Gowers (R) (promote)
    Roarke Smith (R) (rated by the club, promote)

That's probably 8 out, 2 in giving us six free spots - and perhaps if Picken retires, that's seven.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It might not be up to Carlton, Murphy might decide for them. However, the AFL will be falling over themselves to give them first round compensation rather than a priority pick, finishing last or second last and having an immediate selection to use after picks one or two would definitely appeal to them.
    Age plays a major part in free agency compensation, at 30 they will be lucky to get a second round pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Geelong, Cameron Guthrie reach impasse as AFL free agency looms

If we can't get Gaff, would Guthrie be a decent addition to our midfield?

Has fallen down the pecking order in the Cats midfield with the addition of Ablett and Kelly, we should be able to offer him a greater midfield role.

Hypothetically would you take an effective swap of Guthrie for Dahlhaus (both leave under free agency - Guthrie addition wipes Dahl compensation out)? Money and contract should be similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Just having a look at the players out of contract this year there seems like it will be a big period for us.
    Add Picken who is contracted to 2019 but could pull the pin:

Matt Suckling (NFL next year?)
    Mitch Wallis (expect him to stay)
    Luke Dahlhaus (expect him to stay)
    Clay Smith (sadly, his knee is stuffed)
    Tom Campbell (not rated by the club it seems)
    Tom Liberatore (will re-sign)
    Mitch Honeychurch (big question marks. Prefer Rhylee)
    Jordan Roughead (tough decision looming)
    Shane Biggs (keep - back him in on a low contract)
    Tory Dickson (perhaps gets the tap on the shoulder)
    Fergus Greene (don't see it, sorry)
    Kieran Collins (comments by Bevo suggest he stays - I don't see it)
    Dale Morris (if he can, give him a year as a playing coach type role)
    Lin Jong (line ball)
    Brad Lynch (R) (not with Ed Richards and Bailey Williams looking good)
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (R) (already have an abundance of talls)
    Billy Gowers (R) (promote)
    Roarke Smith (R) (rated by the club, promote)

That's probably 8 out, 2 in giving us six free spots - and perhaps if Picken retires, that's seven.
    The list doesn't include players on contract who would probably look to explore their options in Webb & Roberts.. One would also think Redpath may look to retire given he can't get/stay on the park with his knee issues.

Big changes ahead, which are probably over-due.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Report: Geelong, Cameron Guthrie reach impasse as AFL free agency looms

If we can't get Gaff, would Guthrie be a decent addition to our midfield?

Has fallen down the pecking order in the Cats midfield with the addition of Ablett and Kelly, we should be able to offer him a greater midfield role.

Hypothetically would you take an effective swap of Guthrie for Dahlhaus (both leave under free agency - Guthrie addition wipes Dahl compensation out)? Money and contract should be similar.
    I am not sure about Guthrie, is he any good?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am not sure about Guthrie, is he any good?
    I haven't seen heaps of him but I believe he has good pace, can carry the ball, break lines and use it pretty well. Certainly no star which is why he might be get-able. I think he has frustrated Cats supporters a bit by showing some really good signs but then not producing it consistently. Will watch with interest when he returns from injury in the coming weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen heaps of him but I believe he has good pace, can carry the ball, break lines and use it pretty well. Certainly no star which is why he might be get-able. I think he has frustrated Cats supporters a bit by showing some really good signs but then not producing it consistently. Will watch with interest when he returns from injury in the coming weeks.
    From memory, I think GVGjr is a fan. Geelong were rumoured to be interested in Dahl. The simplest outcome (from your first post on it) if we wanted, would be trading directly with Geelong with/for both and us tweaking some later picks to get a few more draft points. Would you take that?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I quite like Guthrie. He is a ball carrier but is courageous in the contest, is versatile and has a little bit of x-factor about him. He has played 20+ games in each of the last 5 years and is still only 25 years old. For mine, he is definitely a player that would enhance our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I quite like Guthrie. He is a ball carrier but is courageous in the contest, is versatile and has a little bit of x-factor about him. He has played 20+ games in each of the last 5 years and is still only 25 years old. For mine, he is definitely a player that would enhance our list.
    Ditto. And he can go into the middle, something a lot of our flanker types can't do.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Cam Guthrie (2017 - he has only played three games this year) versus Dahl (2018) - the below stats don't really tell much of a story but I thought I'd look anyway:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...t1=2017&fid2=S

If we want a bigger body who can cover a defensive flank it might work for us, and like those above i think we need utilities who can work through the middle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    From memory, I think GVGjr is a fan. Geelong were rumoured to be interested in Dahl. The simplest outcome (from your first post on it) if we wanted, would be trading directly with Geelong with/for both and us tweaking some later picks to get a few more draft points. Would you take that?
    I would. Preferably we keep Dahl but if Guthrie plays decent footy in the second half of the year and Dahl continues the way he has been going then Guthrie becomes more valuable to us. My hypothetical works if Dahl leaves for any team, not just Geelong. Of course if it ended up being Geelong then a trade would make more sense.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would. Preferably we keep Dahl but if Guthrie plays decent footy in the second half of the year and Dahl continues the way he has been going then Guthrie becomes more valuable to us. My hypothetical works if Dahl leaves for any team, not just Geelong. Of course if it ended up being Geelong then a trade would make more sense.
    From memory the last article about Dahl was about Geelong showing most interest. If Dahl & Wally wanted out, we'd need to find a mature bigger body for next year. Guthrie might be an option to fit the bill.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If we think Guthrie is better than Dahl, why would Geelong want to do a swap?