Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

You won't see an argument fom DD, great post.

I'm with you on Adams. His best is great, his worst is lucky to be VFL. Because of injuries we really can't gauge how long the gap is in games between good and bad. If we can get something good I'm happy with that and leave Roberts to be the back up.

I'd move Trengove into the ruck column. His games there late last year were very good to excellent. So I'd say there's Trengove, English and a chop out from Boyd. That would mean we've moved Adams, Collins and Trengove from the KPD stock, leaving Cordy, Naughton, Morris, Young Roberts and smaller but ok height is Wood and Khamis. Trengove, if injuries hit, could give some cover.

If we got a third rounder for roughy I'd take the pick. Campbell as you say could be good depth, but Bevo won't play him. So I wonder if Bevo is happy just two take an undersized ruck and a young ruck with Boyd to help, or whether there's a mature ruck floating around who he would play. I'm just not sure either, we look light but the coach has a view and there's no point clogging a list spit with someone the coach will refuse to play. I guess watch this space.

I hope we can land Wingard. As you say, he makes us better in many areas around the ground. Lloyd can also take a run in the midfield, and hit the scoreboard forward. I've often pointed out how good Hawthorn were in the three peat with mids/fwds. After each goal they would rotate them around with their KPFs. If we can get Gowers fitter after another preseason, and looking at Lipinski's last bit of the year and Wallis great last half, we can permanently rotate between forward and midfield Bonts, Wingard, Wallis, Lloyd, McLean, Lipinski, Libba (king of the one step or standing kick goal), Gowers, Dunkley, Picken, maybe even Richards, West longer term etc while moving around Boyd, Schache, English &/or Trengove. Our set ups have been predictable as have our forward fifty entries. If we can return return to the Men of Mayhem type unpredictable forward set up, but this time improve the entries in to allow players more easy marks inside 50, then our scoring should improve early next year. Need that Chad nomination ASAP.

The back half looks talented and strong with Naughton, Cordy, Young, Morris & Wood ready to go. With Daniel, Richards, Crozier, Suckling, Williams and co running around them.

We need fringe players like Dale & Webb to command a spot, kids to keep coming on like Greene & Lynch, and fight like hell to earn a spot in the 22. There's enough talented kids, so to hear us pursuing Wingard and getting Lloyd for next to nothing is a good thing. Hopefully there's an October surprise, in our favour this year, and another talented mature player gets added into the mix for best 22.

Then all that's left to do is rebuild the culture, get Wallis & McCrae on the leadership group, similarly something for Boyd to invest his confidence and bring out his presence and leadership traits. Then hope the same coaches have vastly new ideas in slightly different roles. I think we have an opportunity to slingshot back up next year with some good trading, but the thing I see us holding us back is the same fitness staff, doing the same thing and having more 'bad luck'. Everything above means less than nothing if the people's whose job it is is to keep players on the park seemingly don't have the results of that. Lloyd means nothing with a conservatively managed foot stress fracture and Wingard with a conservatively managed recurring hammy. That aside, there's room for a bit of optimism if we have a strong trade period, we won't win it as the trophy has been engraved already to Essendon, but if we get out of this trade period a fair bit stronger, plus West & Khamis and plus the natural development in a young list... Well even the pessimist in me sees a potentially sling shot up the ladder next season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    But…….… And this is the bit I don’t quite understand.
    There’s a conversation out there that presumes Roughead and Campbell will be traded or delisted……..so we need to look for back up ruckmen from lesser leagues or players who aren’t getting a game with other AFL teams…………………….
    But are we really gonna find anyone better than Roughead and Campbell????????

The names that keep being mentioned are just so unimpressive…………..

Either we let Roughead and Campbell go because Bevo doesn’t believe in ruckmen, and we just play Pee Wee Herman in the ruck………or we keep them because they’re good back up ruckmen?

This is one part of the puzzle I’m really struggling with.

I personally believe Tim English will go down in history as one of THE great ruckman. Seriously.
    But you always need back up, and I want Boyd to go forward.

Really looking forward to how the rest of the trade period pans out.

I think we’re back in the finals race next year with the adjustments we’re making.
    And close to having a serious crack at another flag.
    Thanks DD for the outstanding contribution to discussions.

I thought I should focus on the whole Campbell and Roughead scenario.
    It's clear Bevo doesn't rate the traditional ruckman type unless they are excellent at it and Roughead and Campbell fall short in that area. English looks like he has the mobility and skills to offer a point of difference so he is probably at the front of the queue in that area. Boyd is an OK ruckman and competes well when the ball is on the ground and that is probably a point of difference he offers and of course we have Trengove who is competitive and versatile. Schache can do a bit as well and covers the ground better than most. With all those pieces in place we are still one ruckman light on for what is a long season to keep everyone fit but it doesn't necessarily mean we have to keep either Roughead or Campbell but if we do search for a replacement lets look for a versatile type who can fill in when needed but perhaps play in another position as well.
    If Roughead doesn't get an offer from another club then he might be worth offering a 12 month deal we ideally need someone to learn their craft at Footscray and be on standby in case the injury gods strike a couple of players down.
    We got burned in 2017 with just Roughead, Campbell and Boyd and even had to use the likes of Bontempelli there along with Dinkley and Jong so I'd rather carry an extra ruck option than go through that again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that one of Roughead or Campbell is what we need for backup, but we do need an additional developing type also in the mix.

Is there a younger version of Roughead or Trengove out there to keep busy at Footscray? Play forward or back plus chop put in the ruck.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd chase Brisbane's second round pick for Adams. I doubt that they'd want to part with someone worthwhile but they're always having kids wanting to leave so there might be someone there who wants out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What school Remi? He was our fill in PE teacher for awhile.
    Maribrynong High . We had Danny Corcoran and Chris Mitchell ( umpire) also

Post Thanks / Like

...........and now Adams has officially requested a trade. Oh sweet Jeebus this is PERFECT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Maribrynong High . We had Danny Corcoran and Chris Mitchell ( umpire) also
    Argh ok, I was at a different school.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

...........and now Adams has officially requested a trade. Oh sweet Jeebus this is PERFECT!
    I’m looking at it positive , we have had 3 players on our list who have given us zero the last two years, we have now got rid of all three and this one we have the chance of a good return.
    To be honest any player who can get on the park is a bonus, he has two years to go we hold all the aces .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs full back Marcus Adams has requested a trade to Brisbane.

The key defender attracted some interest from Collingwood but has officially nominated Brisbane as his preferred new home.
    Adams is contracted to the kennel for two more seasons, meaning the Dogs will hold the upper hand in trade talks when the exchange period kicks off on Monday.

But the Dogs are unlikely to keep Adams at the club against his wishes as the 2016 premiers continue to refresh a list which has missed finals two years in a row.
    With pick No.4 earmarked for Docker Lachie Neale, the Lions could use picks No.22 and No. 40 to help strike a deal with the Dogs for Adams.

He is the second key defender to leave the Dogs in three seasons after Joel Hamling also quit the club to join Fremantle in 2016.

Marcus Adams has requested a trade to Brisbane. Picture: Michael KleinAdams, 25, has endured a horror run with foot and ankle problems in his three seasons, playing only 27 games including six this year.

But the 192cm stopper, who was a revelation in the first half of his first season at the kennel, is determined to make a full recovery.

He will join a burgeoning Brisbane backline including star young defender Harris Andrews and Darcy Gardiner.
    It is another huge boost for the Lions as they look to jump up into the eight next season, with potential new recruits Neale and Geelong’s Lincoln McCarthy.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Link

WESTERN Bulldogs full back Marcus Adams has requested a trade to Brisbane.

The key defender attracted some interest from Collingwood but has officially nominated Brisbane as his preferred new home.
    Adams is contracted to the kennel for two more seasons, meaning the Dogs will hold the upper hand in trade talks when the exchange period kicks off on Monday.

But the Dogs are unlikely to keep Adams at the club against his wishes as the 2016 premiers continue to refresh a list which has missed finals two years in a row.
    With pick No.4 earmarked for Docker Lachie Neale, the Lions could use picks No.22 and No. 40 to help strike a deal with the Dogs for Adams.

He is the second key defender to leave the Dogs in three seasons after Joel Hamling also quit the club to join Fremantle in 2016.

Marcus Adams has requested a trade to Brisbane. Picture: Michael KleinAdams, 25, has endured a horror run with foot and ankle problems in his three seasons, playing only 27 games including six this year.

But the 192cm stopper, who was a revelation in the first half of his first season at the kennel, is determined to make a full recovery.

He will join a burgeoning Brisbane backline including star young defender Harris Andrews and Darcy Gardiner.
    It is another huge boost for the Lions as they look to jump up into the eight next season, with potential new recruits Neale and Geelong’s Lincoln McCarthy.

peeeeeeerfect

13. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I’m looking at it positive , we have had 3 players on our list who have given us zero the last two years, we have now got rid of all three and this one we have the chance of a good return.
    To be honest any player who can get on the park is a bonus, he has two years to go we hold all the aces .
    Yeah I look at it as a positive as well.

You need to make the big decisions on players that probably won't lead us to our next premiership. Bringing in Trengove, Schache, Crozier and Gowers has worked out reasonably well. They started slowly but really came on in the latter part of the season. Particularly was worried with Crozier's at the start of the year but he improved a lot and look very from half back. Schache and Gowers look very good up forward and if Wingard comes in even better. Need to be attacking oriented which has really been our forteire even in our premiership year probably the best in 2015 Bevo's first year but strong in defence.

I'm hoping our fitness and conditioning staff can work in us having less injuries next season - won't be zero which would be great but less of them which has been very frustrating. It will go a long way in whether we can challenge for the finals again.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah I look at it as a positive as well.

You need to make the big decisions on players that probably won't lead us to our next premiership. Bringing in Trengove, Schache, Crozier and Gowers has worked out reasonably well. They started slowly but really came on in the latter part of the season. Particularly was worried with Crozier's at the start of the year but he improved a lot and look very from half back. Schache and Gowers look very good up forward and if Wingard comes in even better. Need to be attacking oriented which has really been our forteire even in our premiership year probably the best in 2015 Bevo's first year but strong in defence.

I'm hoping our fitness and conditioning staff can work in us having less injuries next season - won't be zero which would be great but less of them which has been very frustrating. It will go a long way in whether we can challenge for the finals again.
    Well our injury list should improve by 3 at least, Liberatore is probably our only prone injury player left, maybe Suckling.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Well our injury list should improve by 3 at least, Liberatore is probably our only prone injury player left, maybe Suckling.
    Big season for Libba coming up. Was very good in our premiership year and earlier on in his career and went south the year after. Getting a strong output from Libba through the middle is very important. Injuries have frustrated in both 15 and 18. Had a positive 2018 season until the injury and hoping he gets through pre sesson again and the year unscathed.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

peeeeeeerfect
    It's a good result we are clearly earmarking Naughton, Young, Cordy with Trengove to assist as our key backs for the foreseeable future. Adams is a powerful but unreliable kick and is the type of player that could be over-rated by another club. Hoping this is the case for us. Seems we are clearing out the less skillful players (Biggs, Smith, Dahlhaus, Adams) and bringing in some foot skills (Lloyd and hopefully Wingard) to correct our disposal efficiency around the ground. Wingard's skill up forward would be such a massive bonus for us I hope we get him. We clearly have the cap now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's a good result we are clearly earmarking Naughton, Young, Cordy with Trengove to assist as our key backs for the foreseeable future. Adams is a powerful but unreliable kick and is the type of player that could be over-rated by another club. Hoping this is the case for us. Seems we are clearing out the less skillful players (Biggs, Smith, Dahlhaus, Adams) and bringing in some foot skills (Lloyd and hopefully Wingard) to correct our disposal efficiency around the ground. Wingard's skill up forward would be such a massive bonus for us I hope we get him. We clearly have the cap now.
    Dahl, Adams, Roughy, Biggs, Redders, Smith, Campbell, Honeychurch & Collins. That's a huge bit of salary cap. If we are replacing say 4 or 5 with first year draftee wages plus the rookies and Lloyd who wouldn't cost much, that's not quite a salary cap war chest, but if we can add trade currency to it, Wingard might not be the only good player we could pursue.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023