Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 136 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3686126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141 LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2111
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Barlow seems to be a quality bloke and would be good in a mentoring role. Heard somewhere over here that he is looking at WAFL Club Perth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Sorry GVG, I overlooked 'rookie' list. I wrongly assumed you meant the main list.

If the club has concerns with our culture and Barlow is a positive, constructive influence then it might be worth a shot. If he isn't somebody who can develop into a coaching role, then I would probably look elsewhere.
    What appeals to me is that despite him not getting much of a go in his last year at the suns he apparently never dropped his head. A lot of players now would just say bugger it but he pushed through. I'm sure we could find others like him but it's that type of player that appeals to me as a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Barlow seems to be a quality bloke and would be good in a mentoring role. Heard somewhere over here that he is looking at WAFL Club Perth.
    I think he mentioned he could be doing something at Werribee but I may have got that wrong.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's fortunate that we have 3 rookie listed players all potential upgrades. I have some doubts on Smith but Gowers certainly and Lynch probably deserves promotions.

Doc, I'd be interested in getting your thoughts about how we managed the challenges of adding Rhylee West and Buku Khamis?
    I'm almost of the opinion that going into deficit next year could be the best approach
    If West costs us nothing more than pick 27 that is a win in my view. Same with Khamis with pick 45.

It could come down to where the bids come in and how we rate other player options. if Khamis is bid on in the 20's we may have a difficult decision to make as to whether we match the bid. I think we will have enough draft points without the need to go into deficit.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    If West costs us nothing more than pick 27 that is a win in my view. Same with Khamis with pick 45.

It could come down to where the bids come in and how we rate other player options. if Khamis is bid on in the 20's we may have a difficult decision to make as to whether we match the bid. I think we will have enough draft points without the need to go into deficit.
    Yep. Would be delighted if we could use pick 7 and 32 on new players.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else getting the bad feeling Honeychurch is headed to the rookie list. Since Bevo has come across:

2014: Pearce (delisted, rookie listed, poor result), Bevo brought in Kelly when leaving Hawthorn (rookie listed, poor result)
    2015: No delisting to rookie list. Bevo brought in Adcock on the rookie list, vanilla result.
    2016: Prudden (delisted, rookie listed, poor result)
    2017: Smith (delisted, rookie listed, result TBA not one I see as great longer term)
    2018: .......

We make the tough calls on fringe players, but then put them onto the rookie list. We've done it historically with Goodes & Hahn also, but since Bevo joined he takes this personal loyalty thing very seriously. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing at all. But our track record of delisting and then rookie listing players is not good in outcome. It's become almost an annual thing since Bevo joined after Shocktober (Episode 1). I'd think if we are delisting players we should just stick with it and not bringing them back at a lower level list spot. But with no straight delisting announcement on Honeychurch to date, I get this sick feeling we will be etching his name into this board at Whitten Oval. I'd rather look at raw kids or state league players and see if they can make it, versus a guy who tries his guts out, but will never ever make it. I hope I'm wrong, but I sense there's another loyalty rookie listing of a (respectfully) sub standard delisted player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doc, I'd be interested in getting your thoughts about how we managed the challenges of adding Rhylee West and Buku Khamis?
    I'm almost of the opinion that going into deficit next year could be the best approach
    It's either match the bids or don't, right? It's not like you can say "Yeah we'll match on Khamis but we're keeping pick 45, we'll pay for him next year". Deficit is only when you're out of points value picks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Anyone else getting the bad feeling Honeychurch is headed to the rookie list. Since Bevo has come across:

2014: Pearce (delisted, rookie listed, poor result), Bevo brought in Kelly when leaving Hawthorn (rookie listed, poor result)
    2015: No delisting to rookie list. Bevo brought in Adcock on the rookie list, vanilla result.
    2017: Smith (delisted, rookie listed, result TBA not one I see as great longer term)

We make the tough calls on fringe players, but then put them onto the rookie list. We've done it historically with Goodes & Hahn also, but since Bevo joined he takes this personal loyalty thing very seriously. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing at all. But our track record of delisting and then rookie listing players is not good in outcome. It's become almost an annual thing since Bevo joined after Shocktober (Episode 1). I'd think if we are delisting players we should just stick with it and not bringing them back at a lower level list spot. But with no straight delisting announcement on Honeychurch to date, I get this sick feeling we will be etching his name into this board at Whitten Oval. I'd rather look at raw kids or state league players and see if they can make it, versus a guy who tries his guts out, but will never ever make it. I hope I'm wrong, but I sense there's another loyalty rookie listing of a (respectfully) sub standard delisted player.
    I don't think he will but you never know. He's had his chances and hasn't quite nailed it. If he kicked a few of those goals instead of missing it would have been a harder argument but it would be a mistake to maintain him even as a rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

If we were to do that I'd do it with Porter. Honey has had enough chances.

We currently have 5 spots on our list available. Sending Porter to the rookie list will give us an extra pick in the draft. Delisting Honey would make it 7 picks. I would upgrade Gowers and Lynch which brings it back to 5 again on the main list & 2 spots on the rookie list.

We still have Libba & Campbell uncontracted. The vibe is they will be re-contracted.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

We currently have 5 spots on our list available. Sending Porter to the rookie list will give us an extra pick in the draft. Delisting Honey would make it 7 picks. I would upgrade Gowers and Lynch which brings it back to 5 again on the main list & 2 spots on the rookie list.

We still have Libba & Campbell uncontracted. The vibe is they will be re-contracted.
    Isn't Porter coming to the end of his first year? Not sure it's even an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc are you sure we currently have 5 spots on the list? I mentioned the other day that we had 33 senior listed players from last year plus we have had 2 additions via trades and two upgrades from the rookie list. That should give us a playing list of 37 players and therefore 5 live picks but I think there is a school of thought that we only have 4 picks at the draft.

When you look at the outs from last year, Adams, Biggs, Collins, Dahlhaus, Redpath, Roughead and C.Smith that is only 7 spots but 8 if you assume Honeychurch is gone.
    Add Gowers, Lynch, Lloyd and Duryea and we are back to 4 spots

I'm sure I've missed something but I'm not sure what that is

By the way, Webb might be the better candidate to move to the rookie list depending on how bad his injury is

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Webb might be the better candidate to move to the rookie list depending on how bad his injury is
    Depending on his condition, I would hope we can delist him and pay his contract out 100% outside the cap. However the welfare of the player comes paramount, so if he can recover and it is better for his welfare to be around the club then the above doesn't happen.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doc are you sure we currently have 5 spots on the list? I mentioned the other day that we had 33 senior listed players from last year plus we have had 2 additions via trades and two upgrades from the rookie list. That should give us a playing list of 37 players and therefore 5 live picks but I think there is a school of thought that we only have 4 picks at the draft.

When you look at the outs from last year, Adams, Biggs, Collins, Dahlhaus, Redpath, Roughead and C.Smith that is only 7 spots but 8 if you assume Honeychurch is gone.
    Add Gowers, Lynch, Lloyd and Duryea and we are back to 4 spots

I'm sure I've missed something but I'm not sure what that is

Gowers and Lynch (on my understanding) are not additions to the main list UNTIL upgraded at the draft. These keeps their spots available to use the picks for points for West/Khamis.

We can delist any other player including Porter to create a list spot, even if we wish to retain them.
    If they are contracted and we do not redraft we would need to pay out the contract.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if it is an option to send Porter to the rookie list it shouldn't happen unless he has done something wrong. It would send a terrible message to drop a draftee to the rookie list after 1 season, he deserves his 2 years.

I agree with your list maths GVGjr.

We will find out what we are doing in the next week I guess.

17. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Gowers and Lynch (on my understanding) are not additions to the main list UNTIL upgraded at the draft. These keeps their spots available to use the picks for points for West/Khamis.

We can delist any other player including Porter to create a list spot, even if we wish to retain them.
    If they are contracted and we do not redraft we would need to pay out the contract.
    Rookie elevations haven't taken place in the draft for a number of years. They occur prior to the draft. I'm not entirely sure of the required timing but I would generally expect them to take place by list lodgement 1 at the end of October.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Even if it is an option to send Porter to the rookie list it shouldn't happen unless he has done something wrong. It would send a terrible message to drop a draftee to the rookie list after 1 season, he deserves his 2 years.

I agree with your list maths GVGjr.

We will find out what we are doing in the next week I guess.
    Which part? Do we currently have 4 or 5 spots available?