Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 4 of 141 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Yeah it's a bit too clever by half for us to think of something like tgat.

Even if we did like Axe Man says there are too many moving parts for it to be a sensible plan. At some stage in the process hopefully we've got someone who going to say "no, we are not going to do that. It's too risky. And it's too clever by half!"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez thinking about it the list of players that should be on the way out is huge:

Not taking into account contracts, the following are more likely to be gone than not:
    Clay Smith (hasn't been fit for two years, and aside from a month in between wasn't fit for a bout 4 years prior to that)
    Campbell (is 5th in line for his only position, although if there is movement with some of those guys he and we still might consider his backup role the best option for both parties)
    Roberts (Can't get a game in a short defence that has copped a heap of injuries)
    Webb (Coaches seem to rate him but has maybe played two decent AFL games)
    Lynch (Can't stop getting injured and nothing amazing when he isn't)
    Roarke Smith (Incredibly lucky to still be on a list)
    Morris (Old and starting to pick up injuries ore often)
    NMM (Hasn't gotten close to playing yet, but is tallish so wil probably get another year)
    Picken (For the sake of his health surely retires and I would be hesitant to play him again this year)

While these guys are probably going to hang on atm considering we can't cut half our list but are by no means safe:
    Honeychurch (Coaches obviously love him but very limited)
    Roughead (If he isn't your first ruck then he is in an awkward spot)
    Biggs (Should be safe but an underwhelming year last year and a horrible start to 2018 might leave him vulnerable if we cut deep)
    Greene (Has started his career very slowly, but has attributes we need in our forwardline. Would need to make his debut this year you'd think)
    Collins (Was always a long term prospect but has moved behind two key defenders now that were recruited after him)
    Jong (I think will always be a fringe type but could be tradeable)

And then there are question marks over whether the following have futures with us:
    Dahlhaus (out of contract)
    Liberatore (out of contract)
    Adams (Is quality but may move back to WA, especially if he gets sick of spending time injured away from mates and family)
    Dickson (Super injury prone, might be willing to tempt away to a club with spongier floors or something)

That leaves just 24 players not in danger and half of them are players like Naughton, Porter or Lipinski who are too early in their development to be cut.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Dry Rot, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dalhaus and Liberatore have both indicated they will sign on again and have said they aren't interested in playing at another club as recently as the last month. They are very popular with their teammates and have their most productive years immediately ahead of them. The only way they would jave was if it was initiated by the club and I don't think that will happen. For one thing both players were walked to the edge of the abyss during the last trade period but the club decided to stick with both. It also wouldn't be a popular move with the playing group and the fabric around a playing group is so important. If they aren't happy or are mistrustful they aren't going to play good footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dalhaus and Liberatore have both indicated they will sign on again and have said they aren't interested in playing at another club as recently as the last month. They are very popular with their teammates and have their most productive years immediately ahead of them. The only way they would jave was if it was initiated by the club and I don't think that will happen. For one thing both players were walked to the edge of the abyss during the last trade period but the club decided to stick with both. It also wouldn't be a popular move with the playing group and the fabric around a playing group is so important. If they aren't happy or are mistrustful they aren't going to play good footy.
    Well Dahlhaus form has been shite, does that indicate anything?

I just think that until they are signed up they are both vulnerable. Both would be worthy targets for other clubs and if we continue to look like a bottom 4 side and the right deal comes along they may just look at it, despite what our PR manager tells them to say in interviews.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Well Dahlhaus form has been shite, does that indicate anything?

I just think that until they are signed up they are both vulnerable. Both would be worthy targets for other clubs and if we continue to look like a bottom 4 side and the right deal comes along they may just look at it, despite what our PR manager tells them to say in interviews.
    'If' someone offered Dahl $800,000 for 5 years, that makes the compo around Goddard & James Frawley. That being a first rounder.

If we finish low and landed two top 10 picks and Rhylee West cheap in the first rounder as a FS, plus NGA options like Khamis, that would be a monster results to turn a refresh into a great rebuild. So if we finish low and Dahl gets a huge offer, I'd take it happily. We need mids who kick hit targets by foot, so if we got three and Khamis, then losing Dahl doesn't bother me. But there's a lot of 'if's' in this post.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not taking into account contracts, the following are more likely to be gone than not:
    Clay Smith (hasn't been fit for two years, and aside from a month in between wasn't fit for a bout 4 years prior to that)
    Campbell (is 5th in line for his only position, although if there is movement with some of those guys he and we still might consider his backup role the best option for both parties)
    Roberts (Can't get a game in a short defence that has copped a heap of injuries)
    Webb (Coaches seem to rate him but has maybe played two decent AFL games)
    Lynch (Can't stop getting injured and nothing amazing when he isn't)
    Roarke Smith (Incredibly lucky to still be on a list)
    Morris (Old and starting to pick up injuries ore often)
    NMM (Hasn't gotten close to playing yet, but is tallish so wil probably get another year)
    Picken (For the sake of his health surely retires and I would be hesitant to play him again this year)
    That list is a good starting point, just to add some random musings:

Clay Smith - Looks done. Significant knees issues in a knee that's been reco'ed 3 times. Might pull the pin himself?
    Campbell - Bevo doesn't rate him. Could get a back up gig at another club, we should do the right thing by him and trade him to anyone interested for a token pick.
    Roberts - It's either him or Collins, I don't think we can carry both. We've made public comments about keeping Collins, poor Sid could be in trouble.
    Webb - We'll give him a run of few games (a la Ayce) but I don't see it.
    Lynch - Supposedly the best kick on the list but Richards is ahead easily. Rookie anyway but can't see Lynch being retained.
    Roarke Smith - See above with Ed Richards. We're set to take Khamis as well. + Crozier looks better back than forward.
    Morris - Will see after he comes back, given the age of our list I'd lean towards Morris getting another year even if he's heavily managed. What a person to have around the club for the kids.
    NMM - Don't see it. Where does he play? He's behind the 4000 talls on our list. Rookie anyway.
    Picken - Look after your health and young family Picko. He was our best player during the 2016 finals series and is one of the most popular players of his generation but the long term risk is too great. Life > football.

That's two rookies off and 6 gone assuming Morris is on our list in 2019.
    The second list all stay simply because we haven't got the picks to turn the list over that heavily.

First rounder, West, Khamis, option on academy kids and 1-2 late specie picks. Would love to pick up a cheap FA for our age profile.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    'If' someone offered Dahl $800,000 for 5 years, that makes the compo around Goddard & James Frawley. That being a first rounder.

If we finish low and landed two top 10 picks and Rhylee West cheap in the first rounder as a FS, plus NGA options like Khamis, that would be a monster results to turn a refresh into a great rebuild. So if we finish low and Dahl gets a huge offer, I'd take it happily. We need mids who kick hit targets by foot, so if we got three and Khamis, then losing Dahl doesn't bother me. But there's a lot of 'if's' in this post.
    Who's offering Dahl any more than $550K-$600K a season? Not enough hurt factor by foot, and still too patchy with his decision making.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes 1eyedog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who's offering Dahl any more than $550K-$600K a season? Not enough hurt factor by foot, and still too patchy with his decision making.
    The game against the Dons there signs of the old Dahl but yeah he is another who has been disappointing recently.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Not too many at all I imagine. Only if a club is looking to land a trade they can spin as a 'big coup' trade to the media and members. Maybe Saints or Brisbane/GCS.

Personally, I think we are holing way too many players who 'crack in' but who lack any polish. That's where I'd be looking at list trurnover first and foremost.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How far off is Morris? If he us running already we should think about making him a runner so he could spend some time organising our defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How far off is Morris? If he us running already we should think about making him a runner so he could spend some time organising our defense.
    Don't we pay Steve King to organise our defence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not too many at all I imagine. Only if a club is looking to land a trade they can spin as a 'big coup' trade to the media and members. Maybe Saints or Brisbane/GCS.

Personally, I think we are holing way too many players who 'crack in' but who lack any polish. That's where I'd be looking at list trurnover first and foremost.
    I think this is why we're hellbent on turning forwards or defenders with good skills, into midfielders. If you can't draft athletic midfielders with good foot skills, because for the most part they are hard to get at the pointy end of each draft and you may not have the picks, I suppose the next best thing is to find players who could go into the midfield at a later time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is why we're hellbent on turning forwards or defenders with good skills, into midfielders. If you can't draft athletic midfielders with good foot skills, because for the most part they are hard to get at the pointy end of each draft and you may not have the picks, I suppose the next best thing is to find players who could go into the midfield at a later time.

Or wait until other clubs stars become FAs and offer them the farm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Don't we pay Steve King to organise our defence?
    Spot on. Although Gilligan and Steve Hocking are paid to run the competition but still feel the need to create some pissant "competition committee" to do their job for them. It also gives Patrick Dangerfield some more much needed media profile.

Isn't Gaff a FA at the end of this year? I would happily throw $750k a year for someone in his age profile who can run all day, find the footy and kick it well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Spot on. Although Gilligan and Steve Hocking are paid to run the competition but still feel the need to create some pissant "competition committee" to do their job for them. It also gives Patrick Dangerfield some more much needed media profile.

Isn't Gaff a FA at the end of this year? I would happily throw $750k a year for someone in his age profile who can run all day, find the footy and kick it well.
    I think you and Mantis missed Twodogs point.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.