Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 6 of 141 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    'If' someone offered Dahl $800,000 for 5 years, that makes the compo around Goddard & James Frawley. That being a first rounder.

If we finish low and landed two top 10 picks and Rhylee West cheap in the first rounder as a FS, plus NGA options like Khamis, that would be a monster results to turn a refresh into a great rebuild. So if we finish low and Dahl gets a huge offer, I'd take it happily. We need mids who kick hit targets by foot, so if we got three and Khamis, then losing Dahl doesn't bother me. But there's a lot of 'if's' in this post.
    Geelong got a first round pick for Motlop last year, for a reported $500k 4 year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Geelong got a first round pick for Motlop last year, for a reported $500k 4 year contract.
    Ah the AFEL. Whilst I understand the posters above and I'm not saying let's move Dahl on. But if we had say pick 6 and Dahl compo was pick 7 in a super draft. I'm just saying, I'd have a conversation about it. We've got a lot of guys who crack in but lack foot skills. We need foot skills and two top 10 picks and Rhylee West in a super draft might help fix that.

I just think we can't get too much into a line of only one thinking. Especially with how to use free agency. It's going to be interesting this year to see where the Sam Power Rangers (draft and trade team) fall on many theories.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right. I wonder if Sam Power will be significantly different to Jmac in the way he does things? Jmac was fairly conservative, maybe Sam will try and make the running a bit more?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Makes our decision to re-sign him for 2 years, after previously only ever giving him 1 even more puzzling.

Our tendency to give 2 or 3 year contracts to fringe players over the past few years has been crazy... If J-Mac was the driving force then I'm happy he's someone elses problem.
    I wonder what the inner workings are and who makes these decisions on length of contract?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ah the AFEL. Whilst I understand the posters above and I'm not saying let's move Dahl on. But if we had say pick 6 and Dahl compo was pick 7 in a super draft. I'm just saying, I'd have a conversation about it. We've got a lot of guys who crack in but lack foot skills. We need foot skills and two top 10 picks and Rhylee West in a super draft might help fix that.

I just think we can't get too much into a line of only one thinking. Especially with how to use free agency. It's going to be interesting this year to see where the Sam Power Rangers (draft and trade team) fall on many theories.
    To clarify Motlop and Rockliff both netted their clubs end of first round compensation. I would be shocked if anyone offered Dahl a large enough contract to trigger higher compensation than end of first round. Motlop reportedly only just scrapped into that band of compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    To clarify Motlop and Rockliff both netted their clubs end of first round compensation. I would be shocked if anyone offered Dahl a large enough contract to trigger higher compensation than end of first round. Motlop reportedly only just scrapped into that band of compensation.
    I was more thinking of Frawley & Goddard compo. And yep, I can't see Dahl getting such an offer. But as a thinking point, it does no harm thinking through various scenarios. Especially not knowing how Sam Power will go about things, especially this first year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We can't use the Motlop trade as a precedent - it was vintage AFEL makey-uppey designed to give GC proper compensation for losing Ablett and Geelong not having to give up anything to bring him back.

If by some remote chance Dahl is offered a lucrative contract that would net us a significant draft pick (ie: inside the top 10) we would be derelict in our duty not to at least look at it. But the problem is that the AFEL can simply change the parameters of what the compensation should be, so there's no guarantee of anything.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Contracts up in 2018

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Fergus Greene
    Jordan Roughead
    Kieran Collins
    Lin Jong
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Matt Suckling
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Mitch Wallis
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell
    Tom Liberatore
    Tory Dickson
    Zaine Cordy

Billy Gowers (R)
    Brad Lynch (R)
    Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)

Who do we not re-sign?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Contracts up in 2018

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Fergus Greene
    Jordan Roughead
    Kieran Collins
    Lin Jong
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Matt Suckling
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Mitch Wallis
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell
    Tom Liberatore
    Tory Dickson
    Zaine Cordy

Billy Gowers (R)
    Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)

Who do we not re-sign?

I don't know but premiership hero Shane Biggs timing is appalling. He's picked the worst year ever to have a continuing firm slump. If he doesn't get some form back he would be on the list to get the lemonade.

Tom Campbell is moving into eker territory. And we really can't afford to indulge ourselves with ekers.

Clay Smith. I can't see him ever getting back to his best.

Lin Jong and Mitch Honeychurch. Is their best ever going to be good enough? Maybe as players in really good teams where they have one job to do, but we are a long way from being a good team ATM.

Tory Dickson? He has spent a lit of time in the sidelines with "old man" soft tissue injuries the last couple of seasons. At his best he brings a lot but his best looks more and more to be in the past. Outside of the odd glimpse like goals from tge boundary and chase down and tackles.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

As of now I’d not offer contracts to

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)
    Why not Biggs Aza?

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)
    Fergus Greene would want to show significant improvement for the rest of this season to feel safe. Ditto Kieran Collins when he returns from injury.

Roughy, Jong, Suckers and Wally are a watch for various reasons. Roughy for his limitations to play one position and being usurped by English already. Jong still hasn't quite cemented his spot in the seniors after a number of years. Suckers is deserving of another year on current form but age is an issue. Wally is in the same boat as Jong. All of Jong, Suckers and Wally have the chance for the remainder of this year to play themselves into another contact. Roughy is an interesting one - if English continues to command #1 ruck position, do we keep him as insurance? Will he consider going to another club for greater opportunities?

Plenty to play out for the remainder of the season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Fergus Greene would want to show significant improvement for the rest of this season to feel safe. Ditto Kieran Collins when he returns from injury.

Roughy, Jong, Suckers and Wally are a watch for various reasons. Roughy for his limitations to play one position and being usurped by English already. Jong still hasn't quite cemented his spot in the seniors after a number of years. Suckers is deserving of another year on current form but age is an issue. Wally is in the same boat as Jong. All of Jong, Suckers and Wally have the chance for the remainder of this year to play themselves into another contact. Roughy is an interesting one - if English continues to command #1 ruck position, do we keep him as insurance? Will he consider going to another club for greater opportunities?

Plenty to play out for the remainder of the season.
    Providing Wally continues his current form line he's going to be a Bulldogs player next year. Averaging 21 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles and a goal a game in a fragmented midfield suggests he's going pretty well. We also need to be mindful of how he looks after one less than ideal season following a disgusting injury, and an interrupted preseason. He's safer with his kicking than many, and is extremely good with hands in close. Putting him in the same category as Jong is rubbish IMO, Wally has a much better track record.

Onto Jong, I've never thought he was AFL material however, he's coming back from a knee and is likely to struggle this year no matter what. Perhaps he's no good, perhaps he's gotten injured at the wrong time and would as a minimum be considered as a Rookie option for next year...........

I like Suckling more than others, I'm really concerned about Roughead however.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell

Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)
    I reckon that's pretty close. If Picken's long term health and ability to live life well is compromised, I'd like him to retire on ill health as a hero - not a delisting at all. Although maybe Biggs stays on less cash, wrong time for bad form. For me, Collins also stays for one more year - a make or break year. I'd keep Suckers, but I wonder if he will finally go over to the USA to try out punting and thus retire. Not sure why Redders got two years, but he stays unles we 'Cloke' him to keep another player. I really like Lukas Webb, but I think we've stuffed his development and he needs a new club to thrive, heading into.... Then there's fringe players requesting trades out, Webb, Roberts etc. Or free agents if Dahl and Roughy get good offers.

In all, a fair few moved on. Talk about a huge year for Power and the draft team.

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Contracts up in 2018

Clay Smith
    Dale Morris
    Fergus Greene
    Jordan Roughead
    Kieran Collins
    Lin Jong
    Luke Dahlhaus
    Matt Suckling
    Mitch Honeychurch
    Mitch Wallis
    Shane Biggs
    Tom Campbell
    Tom Liberatore
    Tory Dickson
    Zaine Cordy

Billy Gowers (R)
    Brad Lynch (R)
    Roarke Smith (R)

Who do we not re-sign?
    I would say that Libba, Wallis, Dahl, Roughy, Cordy, Suckling, Jong and Gowers have show enough to be definite re-signs.

Morris and Dickson just need to show that their bodies are still up to it.

The other 8 all need to show improved form to warrant another contract for mine, could be a big post season coming up.