Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 61 of 141 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's a funny one. His time with us is clearly up but other teams would still see some value given they haven't seen him as closely as we have and how limited he is now. So it's a win-win to help him find a new club.

When I think of Roughy I remember him being responsible for what I'd called two of the less Bulldog moments I can remember.

The first was against West Coast in the first final where he took a mark just outside 50m playing on immediately and kicking a long goal to put the nail in the coffin and end the contest. We've had a dozen players miss that shot over the generations and keep the opposition in the game.

The second was his mark against Sydney in the GF. We had the momentum, we'd just kicked a goal to break open a lead that had been ridiculously overruled to keep Sydney in it, then they kicked a long bomb down the centre where we were outnumbered and they could've easily got the ball out the back for a simple goal and run away with the game like we've seen so many times before. Roughy takes a contested pack mark, stops their momentum dead, we go back inside 50m kick a goal and kill the contest and win the premiership.

Wherever he goes now those moments will be etched in history forever
    He flushed that kick against West Coke - never looked like missing.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He flushed that kick against West Coke - never looked like missing.
    It was a truly glorious moment.

Actually, might have to go back and watch a bit of 2016 this weekend...

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of people on here have mentioned Shiel and Gaff but now that Lachie Neale's name has been mentioned as potentially being available he would be high on my list if he was interested in coming to us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    It was a truly glorious moment.

Actually, might have to go back and watch a bit of 2016 this weekend...
    Great idea!

Rough’s GF mark was the curse breaker - also recall his third quarter mark & goal in the semi fondly. He’s a terrible set shot, but everything just went our way that quarter, and that play just sticks out for some reason (mainly as contested marks in our F50 are as rare as ...)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm doing the 2016 finals again this weekend. What better way to spend father's day

7. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know a lot of people on here have mentioned Shiel and Gaff but now that Lachie Neale's name has been mentioned as potentially being available he would be high on my list if he was interested in coming to us.
    I'd be happy with either player. I'm surprised that Gaff is only 1 year older than Shiel and Gaff.

For Neale we may actually be in a good position to satisfy Fremantle trade wise - our first round pick and Marcus Adams as a starting point.

Surely Fremantle wouldn't want to let him go?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'd be happy with either player. I'm surprised that Gaff is only 1 year older than Shiel and Gaff.

For Neale we may actually be in a good position to satisfy Fremantle trade wise - our first round pick and Marcus Adams as a starting point.

Gaff is a year older than Gaff? That's not a bad effort.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    The first was against West Coast in the first final where he took a mark just outside 50m playing on immediately and kicking a long goal to put the nail in the coffin and end the contest. We've had a dozen players miss that shot over the generations and keep the opposition in the game.
    That goal was the moment at which I started to think we were actually a chance to do some damage in the finals. You can logically comprehend how we could put a good enough performance together to beat West Coast, but when guys like Roughy are playing on from open field marks and flushing 55m goals then anything is possible.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I think Gaff is a better player than Neal. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Gaff is a better player than Neil. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.
    Id take Gaff over Cowboy Neil too. I think Cowboy is cooked as a footballer personally.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gaff is a better player than Neil. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.
    Assuming Dahl takes the offer from Geelong, and Roughy from WCE, with Smith, Biggs & Collins already gone we can fit Gaff into our cap and still keep everyone. I think he'd be perfect for us. I hope we are pushing hard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Id take Gaff over Cowboy Neil too. I think Cowboy is cooked as a footballer personally.
    Surprised you would remember Cowboy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gaff is a better player than Neal. Gaff is more damaging, and kicks goals as well.
    Gaff actually doesn't kick more goals. He's played 40 odd more games than both players but has kicked the same amount of goals as Neale and only 4 more than Sheil.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I saw Cowboy Neil play for the ACT against Footscray in a night match (actually it was a curtain raiser for another night match so it started in the afternoon. How well were we going at the time, playing curtain raisers for other teams like we were the reserves) back on the '70s.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does everyone get caught up with the big names that cost the big dollars ?
    Let’s just get what fits our game plan , you will find if you put the right player in a position that suits him he will become the player your after.
    Plenty of history in that more than getting big name players that other clubs have.
    The plus in making your own is it’s cheap and you teach them the way your club wants them.
    The minus from so called big name players is pressure to perform, wage is over the worth and no guarantee they will adjust to your plan.
    Give me players like Crozier over Stringer anytime. Even Gowers for that matter.
    We have lost some very big players in the last few years but guess what, we won a flag they haven’t.
    The old saying , champion team beats a team of champions.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes Testekill liked this post