Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2111
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Wingard is a Stringer on the footy field. Flashes of absolute brilliance that can turn a match but comes across as laconic and and at times indifferent. He will frustrate us and amaze I hope he's what we need because we only get one shot.

After the disappointment of the last few years he would be a positive injection for the club. I'm not sure he's the right man though.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    From round 12 this year he played mostly midfield and his numbers were outstanding.

The outside/polished midfielder we need who can provide spark up forward late in the game when we need some magic. Bont/Wingard swapping mid/forward would mean opposition teams need to have a purely defensive mid at the stoppages at all times, it could be a magic pairing. I'm a fan - on natural talent and class I'm not sure there are many players in the competition who are at Wingard's level.
    Why do you think he is keen to move? Is it more midfield opportunities or could money be the motivator? I would imagine Port are tight for their salary cap.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wingard is a Stringer on the footy field. Flashes of absolute brilliance that can turn a match but comes across as laconic and and at times indifferent. He will frustrate us and amaze I hope he's what we need because we only get one shot.

After the disappointment of the last few years he would be a positive injection for the club. I'm not sure he's the right man though.
    I know he is a brilliant footballer but perhaps I'm a bit gun shy with players who thrill and delight given our drop off over the last 2 years. I've always been one who prefers the players who come to the club and roll up their sleeves week after week but I do acknowledge you need a balance of the hard worker and the more brilliant types.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Performs far far far more often than Stringer

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Performs far far far more often than Stringer
    Yep, and his quiet games he's still noticed on the field. And Wingard can actually play midfield, not two minutes and blow up. Wingard's effort can not be questioned like Stringer's nearly whole career.

If Shiel is getting $1.3, Hannerbery and Parker elsewhere. Kelly not happening. Then there's a choice between Gaff & Wingard. Either player makes us a much better team in 2019 and beyond.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep, and his quiet games he's still noticed on the field. And Wingard can actually play midfield, not two minutes and blow up. Wingard's effort can not be questioned like Stringer's nearly whole career.

If Shiel is getting $1.3, Hannerbery and Parker elsewhere. Kelly not happening. Then there's a choice between Gaff & Wingard. Either player makes us a much better team in 2019 and beyond.
    What's the bet Gaff ends up at the Swans.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Add Wingard & pick up Stengle for cheap and we've added depth and talent in areas we sorely need it.

Big yes to the Chad, for me.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Testekill, chef, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Odds on now. Which leaves the biggest name midfield player available to us as Wingard. I think our Round 1, 2019 team is much stronger with Wingard in it. So I'm for it.

Then there's can we try to get in on May, using Adams and picks, and talk of a cheap Richmond forward to boost the forwardline. I like that Power is prepared to get busy and take informed risks. A first year list manager might start a bit conservative, but Power looks like he's been busy. I like it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Then there's can we try to get in on May, using Adams and picks, and talk of a cheap Richmond forward to boost the forwardline. I like that Power is prepared to get busy and take informed risks. A first year list manager might start a bit conservative, but Power looks like he's been busy. I like it.
    It's painfully obvious to all where our deficiencies lie so regardless of the length of time Sam has had his feet under the desk his job is to improve the list so he needs to hit the ground running.

From the players being mentioned Wingard adds some class going forward, Stengle offers goal sense & defensive pressure.. not sure what Lloyd adds so hopefully there is little truth to the rumuors around our interest in him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Why do you think he is keen to move? Is it more midfield opportunities or could money be the motivator? I would imagine Port are tight for their salary cap.
    It seems to me that the Port Adelaide ship might be a bit shaky.

Hinkley under pressure as coach and a president who interferes could create instability in the playing group.

Big players last year and a result that was disappointing doesn't help their cause.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he just wants out of Adelaide and to move to Melbourne?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It's painfully obvious to all where our deficiencies lie so regardless of the length of time Sam has had his feet under the desk his job is to improve the list so he needs to hit the ground running.

From the players being mentioned Wingard adds some class going forward, Stengle offers goal sense & defensive pressure.. not sure what Lloyd adds so hopefully there is little truth to the rumuors around our interest in him.
    I don't really understand the Lloyd rumour, especially after re-signing Dicko. Stengle, as you say, makes a lot more sense.

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Stengle on the rookie list?

Lloyd might be viewed as a potential replacement for Honeychurch if he doesn't get a contract. He's a goalkicker and we need them don't we?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Talent wise I agree he is right up there but I genuinely don't know why his form decline over the last two years appears to be happening?
    The fact that it sort of mirrors our decline over the same time frame just rings the bell for me. I'd also like to know why he does want out of Port and why he might want to come to us because if it's just about a better contract then we need to look deeper at that.

As I mentioned, I have no issue with trading an early pick for a ready made player providing they have the right work ethic because we don't need another talented laconic player who hasn't got the hunger to chase a flag.
    Adelaide is an incredibly intense fishbowl - perhaps he feels the needs to get out of that stifling environment to get the most out of his career moving forward? Or maybe the Port game plan is too defensive, slow moving and structured under Hinkley? Don't think it would be solely about money because he is already well remunerated at Port.

I don't see a lazy and laconic footballer when I see Wingard running around. Playing half forward at Port can be difficult when ball movement is so slow into F50 - Gray sometimes goes missing in games as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"