Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 9 of 141 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I think you maybe over estimating the value of Dahl in free agency. No one showed much interest last year and so not sure they will up the ante this year.
    I went into detail in another thread. I'd think Motlop-like, end of first round would be top dollar. Or he resigns, and his value is moot.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This is where Dahl is vital this year with RFAs. The key to really abusing free agency to me is to try to eliminate incoming and outgoing agents in the one period. Carlton brought in Daisy Thomas, let go Eddie Betts and got no compo. Far from ideal.

If Dahl is going to sign, then I'd go hard at Gaff. Hard. But if Dahl goes for a first rounder compo, and Gaff's contract is equal or more then there's no compo for us. It's just effectively a trade, not a very good player for no loss. Roughy won't change the free agency needle if he wanted to look around, but Dahl could. So hopefully we are trying to nail things down.

They got Daisy Thomas as compensation. Effectively Thomas for Betts, which at the time would have seemed to be a trade heavily in Carlton's favour.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They got Daisy Thomas as compensation. Effectively Thomas for Betts, which at the time would have seemed to be a trade heavily in Carlton's favour.
    Betts was hardly setting the world on fire at Carlton.

It's almost as if they have no idea how to develop and manage talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Betts was hardly setting the world on fire at Carlton.

It's almost as if they have no idea how to develop and manage talent.
    Yeah and they shipped Ed out and gave his spot on the list to Thomas and it cost Carlton nothing. Except Eddie Betts.

It's truly is a story that turned out great for everyone, Eddie, Adelaide, us (the fans not Bulldog supporters)

Post Thanks / Like

De Goey won't leave Collingwood. He will get paid well there both by Collingwood and some "sponsor"

Post Thanks / Like

As a cheap option would we consider Aaron Hall from Gold Coast? Is clearly out of favour and odds on out the door at year end. Has plenty of talent and brings something to our midfield that is in critically short supply - outside run and pace. The big knock on him seems to be his defensive efforts. Would we back ourselves to turn his attitude around?

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    As a cheap option would we consider Aaron Hall from Gold Coast? Is clearly out of favour and odds on out the door at year end. Has plenty of talent and brings something to our midfield that is in critically short supply - outside run and pace. The big knock on him seems to be his defensive efforts. Would we back ourselves to turn his attitude around?
    Money ball option for me. Very good goal sense too if we are looking for a speedy forward. If he was cheap enough, then I'd seriously look at him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of interest did Jake Stringer make an appearance in this thread prior to trade week?

Post Thanks / Like

Not us apparently...

Five Victorian clubs chasing West Coast’s former Victorian Andrew Gaff as a free agent target

FIVE Victorian clubs are trying to tempt star West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff to come back home to Melbourne.

The Herald Sun can reveal Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and North Melbourne all have an interest in the restricted free agent.

The Eagles have made an attractive long-term offer to keep Gaff, believed to be upwards of $750,000 a year for the No. 4 draft pick of 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Not us apparently...

Five Victorian clubs chasing West Coast’s former Victorian Andrew Gaff as a free agent target

FIVE Victorian clubs are trying to tempt star West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff to come back home to Melbourne.

The Herald Sun can reveal Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and North Melbourne all have an interest in the restricted free agent.

The Eagles have made an attractive long-term offer to keep Gaff, believed to be upwards of $750,000 a year for the No. 4 draft pick of 2010.
    Weird we wouldn't pursue a good ball user and good player, moreso as a free agent.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird we wouldn't pursue a good ball user and good player, moreso as a free agent.
    Just because we are not listed in the article, doesn't mean we're not also showing interest. Plus there is a long way to go till trade period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Just because we are not listed in the article, doesn't mean we're not also showing interest. Plus there is a long way to go till trade period.
    99% his manager leaked the list of clubs and money. I'd expect all interested clubs would be listed to bulk up the pressure on WC. What I'd expect, having wasted months on a certain Adelaide defender last year, we might be not getting stuck in middle of a fight we probably won't win and looking at others we can win if we want to trade/free agent in any players.

Post Thanks / Like

99% his manager leaked the list of clubs and money. I'd expect all interested clubs would be listed to bulk up the pressure on WC. What I'd expect, having wasted months on a certain Adelaide defender last year, we might be not getting stuck in middle of a fight we probably won't win and looking at others we can win if we want to trade/free agent in any players.
    Yeah, all fair enough. Probably with 2 new people heading the recruitment/list management division, they're probably a bit reticent to be making big decisions/offers too early on. I appreciate that he's a free agent, but committing a significant proportion of salary cap at this stage would be tougher for new guys finding their feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Yeah, all fair enough. Probably with 2 new people heading the recruitment/list management division, they're probably a bit reticent to be making big decisions/offers too early on. I appreciate that he's a free agent, but committing a significant proportion of salary cap at this stage would be tougher for new guys finding their feet.
    Just as there's no repeat of Dal's first year fiasco, Howard & Tutt with two top picks...

Post Thanks / Like

Not us apparently...

Don't believe what you read in the paper, Bulldogtragic will make our decision and he is of course working through the challenges of the Tom Boyd contract and seeing what we can put in front of the Bont before we consider Gaff.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes josie, Bulldog Joe liked this post