Thanks Thanks:  224
Likes Likes:  847
Page 91 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2111
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    St Kilda have to cough up their first for Hannerbery. I'm not sure they have the goods to be competitive on Wingard. We have a big draft pick advantage over Hawthorn, so surely Port want to deal with us. Plus Hawks are chasing Shiel & May to complicate their salary cap. We must be prepared to put pick 6 on the table to be in the race. So early on, we seem to be pretty well positioned. We need to convert this deal while we are holding a strong hand.
    Maybe Saints would do a deal with their pick #4 with one of the SA clubs. They have picks 7 & probable Dees 15 (Crows) OR 8 & 9 (Port).

Saints might be hoping to get a reasonable pick they can use for Hannerbury, instead of pick 4.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you think that's a hard sell? I don't.
    Logically looking at our respective lists, no - their young talent is mediocre outside of a couple whilst they've got a number of older heads on the edge.

Having said that, they clearly can 'sell' their club well looking back on history.

They also have a close connection to the Indigenous community.

I would hope we can sell a brighter future and I would think we would pay Wingard more.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    A good starting point might be we've won our last 4 finals and Hawthorn have lost their last 4 finals. We've also won a premiership more recently!
    They have to be the worst side to finish top 4 in the modern era.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Do you think that's a hard sell? I don't.
    The only thing the Hawks might be able to offer greater than us is the financial side of things or if there was a player Port rated thrown into the mix. We should more than satisfy Ports needs for an early pick and if we have put forward the financial offer around the mark of what Nixon thinks we have offered that's about as good as it gets from us.

If Wingard picks the Hawks over us then he probably is moving for the wrong reasons. If he picks the Saints he must be focused more on money than his football opportunities.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We should be topping him up with marketing too. Losing Stringer, now Dahlhaus Clubhouse, we need someone for the kids to get behind. The marketing manager should be working on replacing the DC with a pitch to Wingard, maybe something like the 'Gard Dogs.

Wingard gets years, gets money, but also gets iconic status with the kids and fans. We should make clear that the whole club wants him, especially marketing and any budget we can shovel him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like to reference BF here but a reliable poster indicating Wingard to the dogs is as good as done.

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I don't like to reference BF here but a reliable poster indicating Wingard to the dogs is as good as done.
    We had Hurley as well. When I see Wingard doing a photo shoot with a Bulldogs jumper I'll believe it.

Even a sceptic like me will admit the story is starting to grow wings.

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We had Hurley as well. When I see Wingard doing a photo shoot with a Bulldogs jumper I'll believe it.

Even a sceptic like me will admit the story is starting to grow wings.
    Yeah the whole Hurley thing was akin to the 97 prelim for me. After 97 i became extremely pessimistic that we'd ever hold on to any sort of lead. Hurley made me a pessimist of ever landing a big name. Lever last year didn't help. Especially when he chose Melbourne. But hey, we got Naughton instead who looks awesome. Perhaps if the Chad doesn't come, we draft Rozee who is also awesome in a similar way.

11. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    A good starting point might be we've won our last 4 finals and Hawthorn have lost their last 4 finals. We've also won a premiership more recently!
    We're geographically closer to Adelaide.

13. Likes Dry Rot, bulldogtragic, Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    We're geographically closer to Adelaide.
    And have objectively better jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep. No club in its right mind is going to spend a year running a player into good form just so he can walk as a FA at the end if the year. A club like Port would be far more likely to play him in the SANFL all year.

Expecting to pick him up in the next trade period is just fantasy land stuff.
    no chance. They are still an AFL team and would be looking to field the best players every week. They may not preserve his fitness by resting him more and they might play him out of his preferred position more but they’d still put games through him. In honesty if a deal doesn’t get done this year, likely we’ll only need to pay more next year if he has a good year.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

From AFEL.com.au

Dogs' secret weapon in the chase for Chad
    Mitch Cleary
    Sep 18, 2018 5:36PM

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have made Chad Wingard their No.1 trade target and have enlisted the star's former Port Adelaide teammate Jackson Trengove to get the deal over the line.

AFL.com.au understands Trengove has been in communication with close friend Wingard over a potential move to Whitten Oval on a long-term multi-million dollar deal as soon as this season.

Wingard and Trengove remain close friends with the pair playing at Alberton together before Trengove departed for the Dogs as a free agent at the end of 2017.

After seeing Trengove head east last year, Wingard provided a potential hint for the future.

"Going to miss you brother @Jacksontrengove wish you the best and who knows one day we might kick the leather together again soon," Wingard tweeted.

The 25-year-old South Australian is understood to be happy at Port Adelaide, however a trade could be beneficial for the Power in a year before he becomes a free agent.

Speculation on Wingard's future continues a growing trend of players being targeted 12 months before becoming free agents.

Similar to Fremantle's Lachie Neale, Gold Coast's Steven May and Greater Western Sydney's Dylan Shiel, a move for Wingard would allow the Power the upper hand in negotiations in 2018.

Any move in 2019 would leave them with AFL determined compensation, most likely a single first-round pick given Wingard could command more than $800,000 a season.

The Power haven't shied away from what will be an aggressive NAB AFL Trade Period starting in 17 days, chasing West Coast free agent Scott Lycett with a four-year deal and set to release Jared Polec to North Melbourne.

While insisting the contracted Wingard is a required player for 2019, Port Adelaide president David Koch last month said, "no one is off the trade table as far as we're concerned."

Already holding picks nine, 21 and 27 in this year's NAB AFL Draft, the Power are also likely to demand North Melbourne's pick 10 in any trade for Polec.

Any trade for Wingard would likely need to involve at least the Dogs' first pick (currently No.6), meaning the Power would have three picks inside the first dozen and at least five picks inside the top 30.

The expected departures of free agents Luke Dahlhaus and Jordan Roughead, following retirements of Jack Redpath, Shane Biggs and Clay Smith, will give the Dogs room to move in the 2019 salary cap.

Restricted free agent Mitch Wallis is yet to put pen to paper on an extension and is being chased by a number of clubs with Brisbane leading the race.

Hawthorn, the club considered the Dogs' biggest rivals for Wingard should the Power choose to release him, could lean on 2017 recruit Jarman Impey to play a similar role to Trengove in their efforts to lure him away from Alberton.

Impey, Trengove and Wingard were described as inseparable in their time together at Port.

Impey's coach Alastair Clarkson is also a big fan of Wingard's, admitting in 2014 he would be No.1 player from a rival club he'd like to recruit if given the chance.

The pair then spent time together during the 2014 International Rules Series with Clarkson as coach and Wingard starring as Australia beat Ireland in Perth.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We should be topping him up with marketing too. Losing Stringer, now Dahlhaus Clubhouse, we need someone for the kids to get behind. The marketing manager should be working on replacing the DC with a pitch to Wingard, maybe something like the 'Gard Dogs.

Wingard gets years, gets money, but also gets iconic status with the kids and fans. We should make clear that the whole club wants him, especially marketing and any budget we can shovel him.
    We'd be better off going with a variation on the 'Win' part of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    no chance. They are still an AFL team and would be looking to field the best players every week. They may not preserve his fitness by resting him more and they might play him out of his preferred position more but they’d still put games through him. In honesty if a deal doesn’t get done this year, likely we’ll only need to pay more next year if he has a good year.
    They played Trengove in the SANFL for the last few weeks of their season last year. Even in the final when they had no other tall defenders they refused to play him. I reckon they are spiteful enough to do it.

They were the first club to let a star player walk to the PSD rather than trade him with Nick Stevens. They aren't like normal football clubs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

19. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They played Trengove in the SANFL for the last few weeks of their season last year. Even in the final when they had no other tall defenders they refused to play him. I reckon they are spiteful enough to do it.

They were the first club to let a star player walk to the PSD rather than trade him with Nick Stevens. They aren't like normal football clubs.
    Except that's not true. They played Dougal Howard over Trengove. It was a somewhat surprising move at the time but Howard was good this year and it explains why they were willing to let Trengove go, they already had his replacement. I don't think there is any evidence of spite towards Trengove from Port, he was well respected and liked and went with their best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

We'd be better off going with a variation on the 'Win' part of his name.

Probably on my own here but i respect them for that
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring on the Chad.