Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Drafting rules, what are they ?

Just trying to get a hold of what rules apply..
    How many does a team have to draft a year, does that include rookies or trades ?
    In the draft how many years must you have them for, does it include players from other teams ?
    Can you delist a player and re draft them and it's counted as a new draft pick?
    I was trying to get hold of these answers but it seems that rules change every year and I can't keep track of which rules are for which year.
    Wasn't the rookie list going to disappear and just become part of the normal list ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drafting rules, what are they ?

Pretty sure you must take 3 in the national draft every year. Whether they've played before is irrelevant.

The contract draftees get is for two years IIRC but you probably could cut them like with did with Goetz (spelling) if you wanted to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Pretty sure you must take 3 in the national draft every year. Whether they've played before is irrelevant.

The contract draftees get is for two years IIRC but you probably could cut them like with did with Goetz (spelling) if you wanted to.
    I think it's 3 changes to the primary list which (I think) can include a rookie list upgrade.
    From the rookie list it's a 1 year commitment for players drafted from their home state and a 2 year commitment if you bring them in from interstate.

I'll hunt something down a bit later.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think it's 3 changes to the primary list which (I think) can include a rookie list upgrade.
    From the rookie list it's a 1 year commitment for players drafted from their home state and a 2 year commitment if you bring them in from interstate.

I'll hunt something down a bit later.
    Right but it happens at the national draft with a draft pick (for whatever reason)

Post Thanks / Like

Right but it happens at the national draft with a draft pick (for whatever reason)
    Agreed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This from the AFL website/app:

No room at Dogs for out-of-contract duo - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-2...ofcontract-duo

"Clubs are required to bring at least three players onto its lists by selecting them at the draft or upgrading someone from the rookie list."

For us, it means utilising pick 9 and 16 on draftees, and I believe we have already committed to upgrading Roarke Smith.

As it stands at the moment, there is no room on the list for Honeychurch or Crameri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    How many does a team have to draft a year, does that include rookies or trades ?
    3. It doesn't include trades, or newly drafted rookies. It does include rookies upgraded to the senior list, which requires the use of a draft pick. It is likely that we will upgrade Roarke Smith with 82 as we only have 9, 16 and 82 to use

In the draft how many years must you have them for, does it include players from other teams ?
    National Draftees all have a 2 year contract and set rates based on their selected position. This contract continues if the player changes clubs after the first year e.g. Tom Boyd

Can you delist a player and re draft them and it's counted as a new draft pick?
    Yes, but they are available as a Delisted Free Agent before they are available in the draft, so you have to be confident another club won't snap them up for free, or draft them earlier than you if the players available at their earlier picks aren't what they hoped for. Crameri could get to us at 82 but would be in this situation

Wasn't the rookie list going to disappear and just become part of the normal list ?
    In the AFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement for 2018-2022 agreed to in June 2017, the rookie lists were retained, however Category A rookies will be available for senior selection without having to be upgraded first
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goetz was a rookie, think he was on a 1 year deal and we paid him out for him to go early
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Goetz was a rookie, think he was on a 1 year deal and we paid him out for him to go early
    I know that but would it not be possible if they were on a two year contract? My assumption is if you can do it for him you could do it for regular draftees if you paid them out (like what happens with coaches)

Post Thanks / Like

I know that but would it not be possible if they were on a two year contract? My assumption is if you can do it for him you could do it for regular draftees if you paid them out (like what happens with coaches)
    Yeah of course

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we lose both Crameri and honeychurch .. Question is.. is Rourke Smith better than either of them ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be we don't up grade Rourke but keep him on the Footscray list ?
    It's still looking after him and if he goes ok take him next year , yes I know it's a risk other teams might grab him but it's probably a safer way to look at it given his knees .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    3. It doesn't include trades, or newly drafted rookies. It does include rookies upgraded to the senior list, which requires the use of a draft pick. It is likely that we will upgrade Roarke Smith with 82 as we only have 9, 16 and 82 to use
    What about pick 101. How come it's listed if we can't use it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    What about pick 101. How come it's listed if we can't use it.
    Technically we have picks as far back as we want if we chose to use them. To use pick 101 we need to delist 3 more players instead of 2.

16. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we lose both Crameri and honeychurch .. Question is.. is Rourke Smith better than either of them ?
    They may be. But they're on the primary list, Smith is on the rookie list and we need those two spots. So you can't judge them against each other on a spot on the primary list. So I take you're question, is should we use pick 82 on a rookie elevation or if Honey &/or Crameri were not taken as DFAs and made it all the way to 82 should we re-draft them?

I think they both get picked up as DFAs so the question will be Roarke as a kid with 82.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023